U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel that identifying as "European"-American is more prevelant in the Northeast tha
Yes 22 64.71%
No 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2017, 02:45 AM

350 posts, read 607,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, where did those "old-stock Yankees" come from? The largest ancestry groups in Utah are 26.0% English, 11.9% German, and 11.8% Scandinavian. Huge numbers of the early Mormons came directly to Utah from the Old Country, and not from the northeastern U.S. at all.
Actually, it's hard to say which one is dominated between Mormons of old stock yankee (mostly of English heritage anyway) and Mormons of British ancestry from the late 19th century. It's the same ancestry and they all mixed by now. But it's true LDS church recruited a lot of immigrants from England and Wales.

According to the 1870 census, 24 percent of the people in Utah were born in Great Britain and about 40 percent by the beginning of the 20th century.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 05:34 AM

3,220 posts, read 1,553,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLawMan View Post
By "European" I mean the common European ancestry groups like Irish, Italian, Polish, etc. This seems to be a normal part of many Northeast cities like Boston, Philly, New York, and Pittsburgh but no where near as common in the West, Mid-West, and the South, where people are more likely to identify as American rather than as "Blank-American."
The Italian, Polish were virtually all Catholic and Irish were mostly. They were by far Urban city dwellers. Catholics were less common back in a day in rural America. Once suburbs began main inroads to once rural parts of the county, as these groups became prosperous and a suburban-like home and setting was the desire of that era.

I remember the story of a older women I knew long ago where I worked in what was like a suburb that arose in the 50s 60s. Most farms and VERY Protestant. As these Polish, Italian and Irish Catholics in nearby small cities grew more affluent the bought land along the highway first and built ranch homes. Protestant farmers even as land was sold did NOT want a Catholic Church yet as was next. All agreed NO SELLING LAND FOR THAT CHURCH. Of course ultimately it got built and a Monastery by 1964 that closed in the early 2000s. The Church is still the wealthiest Parish in the county.

She also told the story of growing up on my hometown a small city of mining and mills. Every segment of the small city had ethnic wards and divided by Catholic/Protestant parts too But as a Italian girl. She was never to date a Polish boy. Her brothers were to make sure it did not happen. Of course it did and both groups being Catholic mixed a lot.

So it wasn't just the East though .... the Midwest too. I lived in Chicago a few years and it too had a sizable polish and Italian, Irish Catholic population. They too were quick to move to and build the suburbs in prosperity back in the day. As part of White-Flight as their original neighborhoods are not really their ethic enclaves today.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:23 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,735,231 times
Growing up in NJ I definitely noticed it, it was pretty big actually (particularly among the Italians). Then when I went to college in Charlotte it was pretty much gone, except maybe a little among the Yankee transplants. There was a little bit of it in Seattle among the Scandinavians but still nothing like what I saw in NJ. I haven't been in KC long enough to discern much but there seems to be about as much as in Seattle, from what I can tell.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:41 PM

2,091 posts, read 765,737 times
Yes, generally people in the Northeast identify as Irish or Italian or Portugeuse etc; people in the south and midwest just identify as American.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:55 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,019,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Yes, generally people in the Northeast identify as Irish or Italian or Portugeuse etc; people in the south and midwest just identify as American.
Really, how do you know this?

Old 07-30-2017, 01:37 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,735,231 times
^
It's a generalization but largely true. I know that because I've lived in all 3 areas.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:01 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,019,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
^
It's a generalization but largely true. I know that because I've lived in all 3 areas.
It's just interesting, but it, basically, doesn't mean anything. Most people from the Midwest have European ancestry, as well.

Last edited by Enean; 07-30-2017 at 02:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or