U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2017, 11:50 AM
 
Location: DFW
6,795 posts, read 11,763,458 times
Reputation: 5148

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
THAT was funny. I was going to say the Michigan left but you beat me to it. It definitely confounds out of state drivers daily (among other things unique to Michigan).
And that's the state that i learned how to drive in, and for a time when i first moved to California, i had no idea how to turn left from a divided road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2017, 04:23 PM
 
605 posts, read 466,826 times
Reputation: 1093
Virginia has a law that bans radar detectors, plus they are way overzealous in enforcing the speed limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
THAT was funny. I was going to say the Michigan left but you beat me to it. It definitely confounds out of state drivers daily (among other things unique to Michigan).
New Jersey is even worse with it's jughangles that force drivers wanting to make a left turn onto a separate ramp from the right lane which could be before or after the intersection (some of which are not even signed adequately). At least with the Michigan Left it is more consistent since the Michigan Left is only found on divided highways and you automatically know in order to make a left turn onto a road that you first need to make a U-turn after the intersection and then make a right turn onto the road that you want to reach.

For those who are not familiar with jughandles the images below illustrates what I am referring to.



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2017, 07:22 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
Reputation: 4766
1. Not a traffic law per se, but New Jersey and Maryland have very ridiculous laws in regards to transporting firearms and this has landed many unsuspecting visitors and people passing through in jail.

2. When I lived in Maryland it was NOT the law to move to the left lane when there are emergency vehicles on the shoulder. That IS the law in West Virginia and I believe Louisiana as well.

3. I've heard that in the city of Morgantown, WV its illegal to back up into a parking space. I don't know if this really is the case. But I've heard this is a way for the city to make money off parking tickets when people go to WVU games.

4. Apparently in West Virginia and some other states its illegal to warm up your car in the morning when you are not inside the vehicle. But everybody does it. Especially in WV where its safe and very little crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 05:40 AM
 
4,431 posts, read 2,606,853 times
Reputation: 10299
NY has a "move over law".

It requires that one move over to the left if one sees a police, fire, Yellow light ( construction or tow truck), or blue light (volunteer emergency services) on the right side of the road. If one can. This mainly for highways, but also applied any where.

I believe the same applies if they are on the left side, move to the right.

Many out of staters don't know of this law.

It helps to ensure that one doesn't hit those on the side of the road.

I think, not sure, but I think PA adopted Same/ similar law.

It was instituted due to driver's hitting police and workers on the side of the road with flashing lights.
We move over even for disabled vehicles with no flashing lights if they are working on the vehicle.

I hope I have explained it enough.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,511 posts, read 2,969,673 times
Reputation: 2737
Not sure if this is nationwide, but in Wilmington it is legal to make a left on red if both streets are one way. I think Philadelphia might be the same, given the abundance of one way streets and intersections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Back in the Mitten. Formerly NC
3,819 posts, read 5,200,893 times
Reputation: 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
NY has a "move over law".

It requires that one move over to the left if one sees a police, fire, Yellow light ( construction or tow truck), or blue light (volunteer emergency services) on the right side of the road. If one can. This mainly for highways, but also applied any where.

I believe the same applies if they are on the left side, move to the right.

Many out of staters don't know of this law.

It helps to ensure that one doesn't hit those on the side of the road.

I think, not sure, but I think PA adopted Same/ similar law.

It was instituted due to driver's hitting police and workers on the side of the road with flashing lights.
We move over even for disabled vehicles with no flashing lights if they are working on the vehicle.

I hope I have explained it enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Not sure if this is nationwide, but in Wilmington it is legal to make a left on red if both streets are one way. I think Philadelphia might be the same, given the abundance of one way streets and intersections.
I believe both of these are national.

You are supposed to move over, or slow down if unable, for any disabled vehicle on the side of the road.

Left turn on red is legal when you are turning from a one way street onto a one way street. It is also legal in some states (maybe all states?) to make a left on red when turning onto a one way street from a two way street. I've never felt comfortable doing so though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 07:11 AM
 
779 posts, read 518,213 times
Reputation: 2669
Canadian here...


Is there still a US state that does not require rear seat passengers to be belted up . I seem to remember that it was either New Hampshire or Vermont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,511 posts, read 2,969,673 times
Reputation: 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I believe both of these are national.

You are supposed to move over, or slow down if unable, for any disabled vehicle on the side of the road.

Left turn on red is legal when you are turning from a one way street onto a one way street. It is also legal in some states (maybe all states?) to make a left on red when turning onto a one way street from a two way street. I've never felt comfortable doing so though.
Found some answers from a well-written article. It's legal to do a left on red onto another one-way street in 42 states, but only legal in Michigan, Washington, Alaska, Idaho and Oregon to do a left from a two-way street onto a one-way street. South Dakota, Connecticut, Maine, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina and Rhode Island don't allow for any left on red, with NYC and DC also not allowing it.

https://axleaddict.com/safety/Obscur...e-is-no-excuse

It still takes some getting used to, honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,511 posts, read 2,969,673 times
Reputation: 2737
Also, this reminds me that NYC doesn't allow for right-on-red, which is something I always have to remember when I'm in the city. It makes perfect sense, given the sheer volume of pedestrians and traffic, but it can still be easy to forget--and annoying in plenty areas of the city where the volume is low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 11:06 AM
 
9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Reputation: 5692
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
In the Pittsburgh PA area, if a driver (or a line of cars) wants to turn left at a busy intersection but cannot do so because of the heavy oncoming traffic, then the first driver in the line is allowed to finally turn left hust after his light turns red and the oncoming traffic has stopped.

Also, some states like New Jersey and Michigan have a road design in many places called a "jug handle". Google "jug handle" on Wikipedia.
NJ is the worst!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top