U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 05:20 PM

6,800 posts, read 11,784,753 times

Advertisements

In Texas, I wasn't aware of this law where the cars getting off of a highway offramp has the right of way when merging onto a service road even if you're in the lane opposite from the lane receiving the merging traffic.. and even if there's no "yield sign".

I've had a license in California and Michigan before and I don't think either state had a law like this. In California, if they want traffic on the service road to yield to traffic merging off of a ramp, they'll explicitly put up yield signs. And in Michigan (at least the Detroit area), there are often STOP signs that force vehicles on the service road to stop before approaching traffic merging off of a freeway.

What are other examples of somewhat strange or unique traffic laws in your state that many out of state folks don't seem to be aware of and cause problems, accidents, close calls, etc. relatively frequently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 05:29 PM

182 posts, read 200,962 times
In Los Angeles, the traffic reminds one of back home (think Karachi, Pakistan).

Old 07-24-2017, 07:23 PM

3,515 posts, read 4,967,573 times
In the Pittsburgh PA area, if a driver (or a line of cars) wants to turn left at a busy intersection but cannot do so because of the heavy oncoming traffic, then the first driver in the line is allowed to finally turn left hust after his light turns red and the oncoming traffic has stopped.

Also, some states like New Jersey and Michigan have a road design in many places called a "jug handle". Google "jug handle" on Wikipedia.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:52 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,356,752 times
Is California the only state with lane-splitting? I almost hit a motorcyclist one day switching lanes, but luckily didn't. Only later did I find out that I could have been held liable because in Cali it's totally legal for a cyclist to ride the white dotted line between two lanes of cars.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:18 PM

5,563 posts, read 3,713,342 times
That is correct. You can be liable by not looking for cyclists. I also have witnessed many CHP patrol cars actually move over to allow a cyclist more room. That says it all.

As for other States, not sure, but I don't think any other States have regulations on this. EDIT: CA is the only State that this is entirely legal.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 07-24-2017 at 08:26 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 07:49 AM

32,108 posts, read 33,017,270 times
In NY (state) and California one is allowed to turn right when the light is red. But in NYC one is not allowed to do so.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:44 AM

3,956 posts, read 2,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In NY (state) and California one is allowed to turn right when the light is red. But in NYC one is not allowed to do so.
in Washington you can turn right on a red light too even if it's a red arrow, you just have to make a full stop first. The only time that you can't do this is if there is a sign that explicitly says that you can't turn right on a red light.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:02 AM

1,775 posts, read 1,775,455 times
"Michigan Left"

Here's a tutorial I found shortly after moving here:

It's a bit exaggerated, but not entirely inaccurate.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:05 AM

352 posts, read 292,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You can turn right on red pretty much everywhere in the US/Canada except for NYC and Montreal, unless of course there's a No Turn on Red sign.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:28 AM

3,963 posts, read 3,499,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
"Michigan Left"

Here's a tutorial I found shortly after moving here:

It's a bit exaggerated, but not entirely inaccurate.
THAT was funny. I was going to say the Michigan left but you beat me to it. It definitely confounds out of state drivers daily (among other things unique to Michigan).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or