Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:30 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Tucson
Albuquerque
Salt Lake
Atlanta
Charlotte
Raleigh
Salt Lake City is hardly the place to go to escape snow. The city doesn't get as much as surrounding mountain ski resorts, but it is snowier in the winter than the majority of the US.

Tucson is less extreme than Phoenix in the summer, but with its abundance of 100 degree days it is difficult to call the climate moderate. I think the other four cities are reasonable choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 02:08 PM

707 posts, read 749,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Tucson
Albuquerque
Salt Lake
Atlanta
Charlotte
Raleigh
But ABQ gets so cold! Granted it isn't like new England cold, but still fatally cold.

Even in the summer it gets cold at night; the effects of living in a mile-high desert.

It doesn't get as hot as El Paso or Phoenix. The hottest I've personally seen here was 104°, but I've also seen it get down to -8° once.

I never saw it snow in DFW, but there was freezing rain and a twister. And, don't even get me started on the humidity. Not pleasant!

Old 07-29-2017, 02:11 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Cincinnati. It's very much a four-season metro, but no longer blitzed by huge snowfalls or inches of ice. Don't even think about sledding, ice skating or building a snowman here; you'll be sadly disappointed.
It basically has the worst aspects of the southern US and northern US without any of the climate advantages of either region of the country. Some years it has decent snows, other years none. Some years it has terrible heat and humidity, while other years huge amounts of rainfall. St. Louis and Kansas City are similar in climate to Cincinnati, and I don't care for any of the three.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:06 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Well, answers to this question are staying INSIDE the US. This is a US forum.

Outside of the very expensive California coast, these have been the best answers to the question.

Maybe we're just heartier people...
If those are the "best" that people have been mentioning, then it truly confirms my belief that Americans have no idea what mild climates are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
After years on this forum and you still haven't figured out that your idea of pleasant weather does not align with the ideas of the majority of people here?
Years? I've only been a member since Feb (Join Date).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Places like New Orleans and Houston are considered 'moderate' by very, very few people. To the average person a mild winter does not mean 'snow once every ten years', it means snow that happens up a few times a year with little to no accumulation with a few days or weeks with temps that might dip below freezing. Read the thread title.
Nope, the average person knows that mild climates feature zero snowfall (or only a couple rare events at most).

Old 07-29-2017, 07:14 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times
OP, within your parameters, the only real mild areas of the country will be found in three key slivers:

1.) The southern coast of Oregon (i.e. Brookings).
2.) Certain medium elevation areas of the low-latitude DSW (i.e. Las Cruces).
3.) The coastal South (LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, and especially NC).

That's it. Everywhere else in the Lower 48 will be far too extreme in weather in one way or another.

Last edited by Texyn; 07-29-2017 at 07:28 PM..

Old 07-29-2017, 07:59 PM

36 posts, read 34,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Detrioit would be classified as "extreme". Borderline would be something along the lines of St. Louis, Nashville, Seattle, Birmingham, Oklahoma City, etc.
This sounds like bull****.

St. Louis has summer temperatures in the 100s and that's not extreme? Detroit and Cleveland have summers with pleasant temperatures in the 80's with a handful of 90 degree days. The lowest winters temps get in lower Michigan is around 30 and compared to the north east coast the past two years snow fall is very minimal. Overall Cleveland/Detroit and surrounding areas have a pretty mild climate for seasonal cities.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:07 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Salt Lake City is hardly the place to go to escape snow. The city doesn't get as much as surrounding mountain ski resorts, but it is snowier in the winter than the majority of the US.

Tucson is less extreme than Phoenix in the summer, but with its abundance of 100 degree days it is difficult to call the climate moderate. I think the other four cities are reasonable choices.
Salt Lake was a stretch but I still think Tucson qualifies. Keeping in mind the lower humidity and moderate nigh time temps in the summer in Tucson plus you have a 9000'+ mountain an hour away if you want to hike during the daytime summer. I grew up in New Orleans and find I tolerate hot but low humidity much better than the Gulf South heat with humidity.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:27 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
Las Vegas, Reno, Boise.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:39 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Las Vegas, Reno, Boise.
Reno, Boise are good....

Las Vegas summer is way too hot to be considered as a mild climate,
only slightly cooler than Phoenix summer.

Medford, Oregon and Roseburg, Oregon might work, kinda mild.
Silver City, New Mexico and Bisbee, Arizona....unfortunately both are not really cities.

Las Cruces and Almogordo are both very good, not too hot at 4000 ft elevation.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:37 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Reno, Boise are good....

Las Vegas summer is way too hot to be considered as a mild climate,
only slightly cooler than Phoenix summer.

Medford, Oregon and Roseburg, Oregon might work, kinda mild.
Silver City, New Mexico and Bisbee, Arizona....unfortunately both are not really cities.

Las Cruces and Almogordo are both very good, not too hot at 4000 ft elevation.
Medford weather forecast this week:

National Weather Service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.