U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 04:12 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't think any of our cities have gone quite that far, but the city that is probably at the most risk is San Francisco.
SF is interesting because its got some of the strongest resilience to gentrification and yuppiefication. It is sad though, because money always wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 04:14 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Rich foregin buying up properties like it Black Friday night in Miam cost of living in city going every year

Rich Brazilians are moving to Miami, Florida | Immigration to Brazil

Miami's the one city where gentrification is happening by foreigners.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:43 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,403,138 times
Just to play devil's advocate population/job loss, the neglect of historic buildings and the social ills that come along with it can also threaten a city's character.

To answer the original question I don't think D.C. exudes a ton of character for how large of a city it is but obviously a lot of people will disagree with that.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:39 PM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I get the "Anywhere USA" thing but Charlotte still feels plenty Southern. Let's not exaggerate.
When I was in Charlotte and its suburbs, it felt absolutely no different than the Northern Virginia suburbs of DC (which are overrun with transplants) nor much different than Columbus or the suburbs of Cincinnati. Politically CHarlotte has also become a liberal city with high Democrat turnout due to transplants and immigrants. I actually was in Charlotte in the same trip where I was in Charleston SC and Savannah and its like night and day. In terms of Southern hospitality, friendliness, religion, church attendance, voting patterns, pace of life, etc much of southern WV and eastern Kentucky are more Southern than Charlotte.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:43 PM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
When's the last time you've been to either of these cities? Charleston and Charlotte are still very southern and always will be. Charleston is transforming because it's been "found" by everyone, and the job market is hot, not because of too many Pennsylvanians. Charlotte is not generic, it's young. The city has it's own identity. And for such an un-southern southern city, it ranks 6th in "bible-minded" American cities.

But this isn't even gentrification, it's migration.
I was in both of these last year and have many friends in Charlotte who are native Southerners, both native North Carolinians and people who moved there from other parts of the South and they all complain about northern transplants and about illegal immigrants. Plenty of people I know also own or rent seasonal properties in South Carolina both near CHarleston and around Myrtle Beach. The northern visitors, seasonal residents, and retirees are the ones who do not keep their rude manners, unfriendliness, and aggressive driving and liberal politics at home. Southern hospitality is quickly being diluted in Charlotte by the NY and NJ transplants who would never hold a door open for someone and who are not very friendly in the neighborhood. Most of them for example don't care to get to know their neighbors or be part of the community because that is the way it is in the North and California. New Jersey and New York is the most unfriendly place I have ever been to.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:49 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,272,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I was in both of these last year and have many friends in Charlotte who are native Southerners, both native North Carolinians and people who moved there from other parts of the South and they all complain about northern transplants and about illegal immigrants. Plenty of people I know also own or rent seasonal properties in South Carolina both near CHarleston and around Myrtle Beach. The northern visitors, seasonal residents, and retirees are the ones who do not keep their rude manners, unfriendliness, and aggressive driving and liberal politics at home. Southern hospitality is quickly being diluted in Charlotte by the NY and NJ transplants who would never hold a door open for someone and who are not very friendly in the neighborhood. Most of them for example don't care to get to know their neighbors or be part of the community because that is the way it is in the North and California. New Jersey and New York is the most unfriendly place I have ever been to.
That's quite an overgeneralization. You do know there are just as many stereotypical bad Southern behaviors right? Which for me are worse then any Northern stereotypes.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:16 PM

2,096 posts, read 766,799 times
I don't see why the word gentrification has a negative connotation. People with money moving into an area, creating jobs by injecting capital into said area, cleaning up the area and raising the property values of those around them is a bad thing?

Old 07-26-2017, 06:18 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,885,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I was in both of these last year and have many friends in Charlotte who are native Southerners, both native North Carolinians and people who moved there from other parts of the South and they all complain about northern transplants and about illegal immigrants. Plenty of people I know also own or rent seasonal properties in South Carolina both near Charleston and around Myrtle Beach. The northern visitors, seasonal residents, and retirees are the ones who do not keep their rude manners, unfriendliness, and aggressive driving and liberal politics at home.

Southern hospitality is quickly being diluted in Charlotte by the NY and NJ transplants who would never hold a door open for someone and who are not very friendly in the neighborhood. Most of them for example don't care to get to know their neighbors or be part of the community because that is the way it is in the North and California. New Jersey and New York is the most unfriendly place I have ever been to.
As a native Carolinian, no one complains as much you think they do. We complain about the uncontrolled growth, not the Pennsylvanians moving in. Just as many, if not more people are moving from the south and other parts of SC and NC than they are from the north.

I interned at an upscale RE place in Charleston and most of the agents there aren't locals, they came from the north. I myself was born in Charleston. And yet I was never "triggered." Everyone was always nice and helpful. And they all appreciate what Charleston is and add to it. I never heard one of them say Charleston should be like what this or that is back home in Michigan.

Your argument is ridiculous. Charlotte and Charleston will be fine. Both cities are better off now then they were 20 years ago. The 1990's was not the best of times for Charleston, which was losing population and jobs. North and South Carolina will be fine too. Our southerness isn't going anywhere, no matter what you think. It's obvious what your real issue is.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:22 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,272,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
I don't see why the word gentrification has a negative connotation. People with money moving into an area, creating jobs by injecting capital into said area, cleaning up the area and raising the property values of those around them is a bad thing?
I don't see it as a bad thing.. It bring more benefits especially with lower crime to an area then it takes at the end of the day. "safety first" as they say

Old 07-26-2017, 06:28 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,885,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I don't see it as a bad thing.. It bring more benefits especially with lower crime to an area then it takes at the end of the day. "safety first" as they say
I see both sides, but definitely more of the bad. It fixes up neighborhoods sure, but it doesn't really help the people already there. Seems nowhere is safe now considering there's even luxury apartments popping up in southeast DC.

The apartments obviously don't have those residents in mind. They market to professional people who want to move to DC but need "cheap", and they're counting on those current southeast residents to make their way out to Maryland. Then they can hike the rent even higher now the neighborhood is "trendy."

Also gentrification doesn't really erase crime, it just pushes it somewhere else. That's why more focus should be put on improving lives of the people already living there, rather than trying to price them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.