U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:39 AM

102 posts, read 131,807 times

Advertisements

I used to believe the hospital ratings. But many (like US News Top Hospitals) have proved false. Can you rate the hospitals based on your own experience?
Mine so far:
World class: none.
Ordinary:
1) Riverside Methodist (OhioHealth)(Columbus)
2) Dublin Methodist (OhioHealth)(Columbus)
3) Fairview (Cleveland Clinic)(Cleveland)
Dangerous:
OSU Med Center (Columbus)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 12:33 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
There are many great examples of world class here. Duke University Medical Center, Johns Hopkins University Medical Center, The Mayo Clinic, Massachusetts General, NY Presbyterian, UCLA Medical Center, Cleveland Clinic, Mt Sinai NYC, Case Western U Hospitals, Northwestern U Hospital Chicago, Brigham and Women's- Boston, NYU-Langone, Cedars Sinai-LA, Barnes-Jewish, UCSF Medical Center, UNC Medical Center...with many more in my opinion by varying specialties.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There are many great examples of world class here. Duke University Medical Center, Johns Hopkins University Medical Center, The Mayo Clinic, Massachusetts General, NY Presbyterian, UCLA Medical Center, Cleveland Clinic, Mt Sinai NYC, Case Western U Hospitals, Northwestern U Hospital Chicago, Brigham and Women's- Boston, NYU-Langone, Cedars Sinai-LA, Barnes-Jewish, UCSF Medical Center, UNC Medical Center...with many more in my opinion by varying specialties.
Most of these institutions are not world class. They can not guarantee the quality. That's why I am looking for personal experience of people.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:20 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,523,328 times
What would be considered "world class"?

A TON of hospitals receive awards for various things, showing they're good hospitals. But world class would mean exactly what?

Old 07-26-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
What would be considered "world class"?
A TON of hospitals receive awards for various things, showing they're good hospitals. But world class would mean exactly what?
When the hospital can guarantee the quality. Good example - hospitals in Germany, Switzerland. I have never experienced the same in US. Several days ago had bad experience in Cleveland Clinic, which is rated second in US. But the reality is that Cleveland Clinic can't even compete locally.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:44 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,015,925 times
Hasn't this been done before?

Old 07-26-2017, 03:35 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus_123 View Post
When the hospital can guarantee the quality. Good example - hospitals in Germany, Switzerland. I have never experienced the same in US. Several days ago had bad experience in Cleveland Clinic, which is rated second in US. But the reality is that Cleveland Clinic can't even compete locally.
No hospital can "guarantee quality"...we're talking about health care where every case is different because every human and their conditions are different. We're not talking a set list of criteria like one finds in hotels for example, so there is no definition of world class in this instance. The hospitals listed prior attract patients wanting to receive superior specialized care, and health care professionals wanting that experience from around the world. If that doesn't fulfill the description you're after, nothing else can/does.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:38 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,523,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus_123 View Post
I agree with the previous reply by Kyle19125. No hospital,doctor,urgent care center, etc...can GUARANTEE a "world class" experience.

The best you can do is go to highly rated, highly recommended places and hope you receive quality care.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:40 PM

4,480 posts, read 2,663,831 times
Treatment varies by specialty. One place might be the best in a certain type of cancer, while another might be the best in a certain elbow procedure. Often this happens because a certain doctor invented something or does the most of it. Many, many places can be called the best in some category or another.

Of course, "best" can mean a lot of things. Survival rate, which can be confusing if one place takes the easy cases while another takes the tough ones? Room service? Advanced treatments?

Old 07-27-2017, 12:20 AM

24,980 posts, read 23,891,412 times
World class is the doctor, or doctors that you get, and the nursing and tech staff who keep an eye on you.

In the 1970s, Mercy Hospital in Wilkes-Barre, PA was the best hospital in the world. After a serious accident, the only surgeon in the region, not just the city, was the only guy deemed good enough to save my life. He was 2 hours away in Philly getting some sort of achievement award. I got to empty my digestive tract and bleed internally waiting for him. Obviously, he pulled one out of a hat that day. No one else wanted the job. They thought they'd kill me and probably would have. After the surgery, I was still expected to die. After two weeks everyone started exhaling and uncrossing their fingers. Teenagers are very resilient.

Jefferson in Philly is a great hospital. That's where my husband died. He wasn't supposed to die, but stuff happens. Just because he died there doesn't mean it's not a terrific hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or