U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 05:35 PM

311 posts, read 219,003 times

Advertisements

I can see both the Comcast Towers in Philly at a spot a couple blocks from my house in Cheltenham. When I'm at school at Temple, I can see the Roxborough radio towers from my room which actually tower over the Center City skyscrapers in terms of height.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 11:16 PM

706 posts, read 514,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I live just a few blocks south of Downtown Albuquerque in the Barelas neighborhood. Albuquerque Plaza, our city and state's tallest building, is what I can see. I have an especially good view of it from my bedroom window. It's 351 feet tall and was built in 1990.

The pic below shows the view I see every day walking toward Downtown along south 4th Street, which is my neighborhood's main street. It's from Wikipedia:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...wn_skyline.JPG
Good ol' ABQ plaza...I heard the city is going to build a new tallest tower soon.

On the west side the tallest things near me are water tanks and that firefighter training tower on 118th street.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:08 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,695,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
Good ol' ABQ plaza...I heard the city is going to build a new tallest tower soon.

On the west side the tallest things near me are water tanks and that firefighter training tower on 118th street.
I have my fingers crossed. The mayor issued an RFP for two city-owned parcels of land downtown with the stipulation that a new tallest be built as part of the proposal. The deadline for submission passed earlier this month and the winner will be announced in the fall. There is concern that no announcements have been made as to whether there even were submissions, but some think the city is just being tight lipped about it until the selection happens. Downtown is on an upswing lately with multiple public and private projects under construction or recently completed, so I hope a developer will come through and we will see a new tallest in the city soon!

Old 07-28-2017, 03:59 AM

706 posts, read 514,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I have my fingers crossed. The mayor issued an RFP for two city-owned parcels of land downtown with the stipulation that a new tallest be built as part of the proposal. The deadline for submission passed earlier this month and the winner will be announced in the fall. There is concern that no announcements have been made as to whether there even were submissions, but some think the city is just being tight lipped about it until the selection happens. Downtown is on an upswing lately with multiple public and private projects under construction or recently completed, so I hope a developer will come through and we will see a new tallest in the city soon!
As do I. Hopefully it doesn't end up (or look like) the Packard Place tower that never was.

I had an idea for a Pueblo revival tower, almost like a giant Alvarado clock tower, but I think it would just end up an eyesore.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:06 AM

4,447 posts, read 2,623,195 times
Lol

In my neighborhood, there is nothing above 2 stories.

I don't think any tall towers on the surrounding hills can be seen from my neighborhood.

The tallest building in the who greater"metropolitan area" is , I think, 12 or 14 stories. It's the state office building.

Lol Even it's short compared to other areas.

So I have to laugh when I read this post.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:52 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,108,525 times
No structures higher than two stories. There are some trees taller than that. Also, there are a couple of 5000+ foot mountains behind my house, and they have some radio towers on the peaks, if that counts!

Old 07-28-2017, 09:41 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,678,289 times
US Steel Tower - Downtown Pittsburgh

One BNY Mellon Center - Downtown Pittsburgh

Cathedral of Learning - Oakland Neighborhood

Old 07-28-2017, 12:37 PM

299 posts, read 160,501 times
Other then two story houses. The only commercial building that I can see is a small two story hospital. There's also an old TV/radio tower (70 feet tall) on the neighboring hospital. If we included standing on the roof of are house. Then the school district's performing arts center (100 feet tall) and the 4-story LaQuinta would be the tallest.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:51 PM

4,947 posts, read 7,608,487 times
One American Plaza, reaching the maximum allowed by the FAA of 500', the Phillips Head of our tool shaped building crowns. There are another 10 or so buildings within 50' of it and another 10 within a 100' so it's kind of hard to discern which is actually the tallest.

San Diego doesn't have the most impressive skyline because of the FAA rules, kind of like a slightly less dense Vancouver, BC, (its most prolific developer also builds many buildings here), but it's not bad, especially from across the Bay.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:59 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,176,953 times
Well, it's not really on my block but on the hill on the west part of Chaska you can easily see the tops of the roller coasters at Valleyfair amusement park across the river in Shakopee. You can also see the glass office towers further away in west Bloomington. On clear days and nights, you can see the tops of the "Big Three" of Downtown Minneapolis (30 some miles away) - IDS Tower, Capella Tower and Well Fargo Tower, each around 800' tall. They look pretty spectacular light up at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or