U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:06 AM

18,907 posts, read 6,844,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
It's baffling to me why Phoenix is showing up here in answers. Phoenix and San Diego are nothing alike. Thank goodness.
I would say LA or Tampa.
Have you been to Phoenix, LA or San Diego for any considerable length of time? I live in Phoenix and have spent lots of time in California, so I can tell you that take away the coastal strip, and as a city/metro, San Diego is more like Phoenix than LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 10:22 AM

3,192 posts, read 1,904,420 times
I just don't think there is an answer. I don't think there is any city that is really like San Diego, partly because you cannot separate the climate from the city. The climate influences so much -- the types of recreational activities, the types of businesses, the type of people who want to live there. It's inextricably linked with almost everything else.

I also thought perhaps Honolulu, but even then, it's not a perfect comparison. L.A. has some similarities, but also so many differences. Tampa has some other similarities, but isn't really the same, either. Virginia Beach, maybe some, although the area is very conservative and it doesn't have nearly the arts, culture or business that SD has.

I don't agree with Raleigh, NC.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:47 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,020,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Have you been to Phoenix, LA or San Diego for any considerable length of time? I live in Phoenix and have spent lots of time in California, so I can tell you that take away the coastal strip, and as a city/metro, San Diego is more like Phoenix than LA
Yes, I've lived in Phoenix and have been to San Diego and Los Angeles many times.. You are not going to get me to say Phoenix is like San Diego. It looks and feels totally different. Phoenix has more in common with Las Vegas. San Diego is full of hilly often filled with green (lots of eucalyptus) delightful neighborhoods and Phoenix does not have the equivalent. Sorry, and I do not dislike Phoenix.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:46 PM

4,812 posts, read 4,989,966 times
When Sacramento had a large military presence, similarities with San Diego would come up much more often. But other similarities remain.

1. Sacramento provides much more Water Recreation Opportunities(Lakes, Rivers, Bays, proximity to Ocean Beaches) than Phoenix. So Sacramento is much more like San Diego than Phoenix in that regard.

2. Both Sunny, Sacramento is actually more Sunny than San Diego in the summer, and a Sacramento summer is going to give you relief from heat and humidity much more often than Tampa or Phoenix, hence it being closer to a San Diego climate in the summer.

3. Both Sacramento and San Diego are California cities, sharing the same California culture, both have large liberal segments to its population.

4. Both share State gov't employment, policies and rules governing the way things are done.

5. University of California and California State University, State Parks are similar.

6. Both near larger California Powerhouse Metros. SD with LA, Sacramento with SF Bay Area. Downtown Sacramento is much closer to Downtown SF, than Downtown SD with Downtown LA. Both of the megaregions are connected by abundant commuter train service.

7. Both Sacramento and San Diego have large segments of Mexicans, Filipinos, other Asians.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:54 PM

4,934 posts, read 7,588,086 times
While I'm not surprised at the frequent mentioning of L.A., and I agree that some specific areas-some West Side communities, Silver Lake/Eagle Rock in the hills bear similarities to areas in San Diego, the cities as a whole don't feel very similar to me.

San Diego is absolutely defined by it presence right in the water and distinct topography. DTLA is no where near the water and although the northern edge has mountains it really lies in a huge basin. Also L.A. is so fricken huge it just sprawls for nearly 50 miles seemingly having no end while San Diego might have communities that are outlying the city itself feels very defined and compact. I actually think Portland, Oregon and Seattle feel more similar to me. Both very much defined by water, hills and canyons, dense, compact and growing downtowns with a nice mix of classic and new contemporary architecture surrounded by vibrant, defined historic communities.

I've heard the Tampa comparisons before, I don't really know it that well having only driven through it a couple of times but I could see that.

Doesn't feel like Phoenix at all, Phoenix is more like Denver.

Last edited by T. Damon; 07-29-2017 at 07:58 PM..

Old 07-30-2017, 02:16 AM

4,812 posts, read 4,989,966 times
SACRAMENTO has a distinctive urban core, the downtown-midtown Grid, very walk friendly similar to downtown SD and the Balboa Park areas.

Midnight July 30, 2017

San Diego 68F
Sacramento 68F

Phoenix 88F heat index- 20 degrees hotter than SD and SAC, yuck phoenix in the middle of the night its that hot!

Back to Water Recreation,

Sacramento's FOLSOM LAKE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-djviwYRViQ

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-30-2017 at 02:38 AM..

Old 07-30-2017, 02:18 AM

998 posts, read 881,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I just don't think there is an answer. I don't think there is any city that is really like San Diego, partly because you cannot separate the climate from the city. The climate influences so much -- the types of recreational activities, the types of businesses, the type of people who want to live there. It's inextricably linked with almost everything else.

I also thought perhaps Honolulu, but even then, it's not a perfect comparison. L.A. has some similarities, but also so many differences. Tampa has some other similarities, but isn't really the same, either. Virginia Beach, maybe some, although the area is very conservative and it doesn't have nearly the arts, culture or business that SD has.

I don't agree with Raleigh, NC.
It doesn't appear from your description that you've been to VA Beach, have you, or are you just commenting from an armchair somewhere?

Old 07-30-2017, 03:25 AM

1,306 posts, read 1,102,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
While I'm not surprised at the frequent mentioning of L.A., and I agree that some specific areas-some West Side communities, Silver Lake/Eagle Rock in the hills bear similarities to areas in San Diego, the cities as a whole don't feel very similar to me.

San Diego is absolutely defined by it presence right in the water and distinct topography. DTLA is no where near the water and although the northern edge has mountains it really lies in a huge basin. Also L.A. is so fricken huge it just sprawls for nearly 50 miles seemingly having no end while San Diego might have communities that are outlying the city itself feels very defined and compact. I actually think Portland, Oregon and Seattle feel more similar to me. Both very much defined by water, hills and canyons, dense, compact and growing downtowns with a nice mix of classic and new contemporary architecture surrounded by vibrant, defined historic communities.

I've heard the Tampa comparisons before, I don't really know it that well having only driven through it a couple of times but I could see that.

Doesn't feel like Phoenix at all, Phoenix is more like Denver.

Long Beach has much more in common with San Diego than Los Angeles does IMO. Whatever big amenities that San Diego has over Long Beach is offset by their port commerce. Two cities on the ocean, big suspension bridge going to an island, boom!

Old 07-30-2017, 05:25 AM

4,205 posts, read 2,822,069 times
Virginia Beach may not be the "most" similar to San Diego, but it is definitely California-lite. This is not an uncommon refrain from people who live here and/or have spent significant time here...

I mostly grew up around Virginia but am originally from Sacramento, and the majority if my family is from California. The Beach has demographics that fit California easily if you flipped the black (19%) and Asian (6.3%) populations. It definitely has a high Asian population for the East Coast...

There are areas around town (Oceanfront, North Virginia Beach, etc) that look like dozens of areas throughout California. The whole coastal, laid back atmosphere is also very "California cool". It isn't much like Myrtle Beach apart from very superficial, general observations. I havent been to another location on the East Coast that is similar...It also has a huge military population, just like SD....

Again, Virginia Beach may not be the most similar city to San Diego but it deserves a mention here!

Old 08-05-2017, 08:15 PM

1,069 posts, read 737,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscityseeker View Post
Obviously the weather is difficult to replicate, but in terms of culture, resources, etc- Which US city (and metro) is the most similar to San Diego?
Hell.

Take away the weather and the scenery, and S.D. is the worst place to live in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or