Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 07:28 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Could be both?

I think the overall mentality of people in the Bay Area, is there is no place better. I definitely think over-confidence plays a factor, but I also think some would say it's security
More like arrogance, a We Are Better Than You aura.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 07:33 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
More like arrogance, a We Are Better Than You aura.
I don't disagree with you. There's a good bit of snobby attitude here

Old 07-30-2017, 07:52 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,498 times
New Orleans: NOLA is a city unlike any other and because of that I think that people there don't feel the need to compare to other places or try to move up in categories. NOLA is so unique that it doesn't really compete with other places. Lots of people love it and lots of people hate it, but those who live there and love it don't really care what others think...they are living on different terms than people in other cities, so they aren't trying to compete with other cities. If you like the stuff in NOLA there is no where that compares, and if there is another place that suits you better, then most people in NOLA are happy to let you do your own thing.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:26 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Surprisingly a lot of people in Baltimore are like that. They don't care about the national reputation of the city which is very poor even before the Freddie Gray riots. They're just like yeah this is who we are whatever. New Orleans is another city that is very comfortable with itself......people there know the city is different and faces challenges but are proud of it and don't care what people think. New Orleans does have much more to be proud of than Baltimore does.

West Virginia people are also very proud and don't care that the liberal elites from the big cities look down on them.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:53 AM

183 posts, read 196,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
The first city that came to my mind was Louisville. It has its own unique culture and history being on the boarder of the Midwest and the South. It's clearly superior to its neighbors, Indianapolis and Cincinnati, but it knows it will never be Chicago and I didn't get the impression that it's trying to be the next Portland or Austin.
Louisville clearly superior to Indy and Cincy? Lolz.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Charleston for sure.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:40 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,441,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I've never been to Tulsa, but I've heard great things! I'm sure life will lead me there eventually.

I agree that OKC punches below its weight, but my point was that people who live there didn't strike me as insecure about that reality (unlike people from, say, Cleveland).

As far as the point about religion and politics, I'm a gay, left-leaning Quaker. And while Evangelical Republicans are obviously the majority in Oklahoma, four days in OKC introduced me to more like-minded peers than four years in Upstate New York. Perhaps OKC is so Evangelical and conservative that it's easy to identify people who are not.

I've also found that in blue states, many people might say they're liberal but are merely following the crowd; they don't actually live by their professed ideologies. In places like OKC, you don't have to sift through the posers (at least if you're liberal) to find folks who live their lives true to their beliefs.

I'd take Louisville, Missoula, Lawrence, or Salt Lake City over San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, or New York City.
How do you know people from Cleveland are insecure? Have you met people from Cleveland or are you going by perception?

Old 07-31-2017, 10:40 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
DC for sure. They do not need outside validation. It's the capital. I'd imagine NYC is the same. Everyone else has a chip on their shoulder one way or another, maybe not LA.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:26 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Surprisingly a lot of people in Baltimore are like that. They don't care about the national reputation of the city which is very poor even before the Freddie Gray riots. They're just like yeah this is who we are whatever. New Orleans is another city that is very comfortable with itself......people there know the city is different and faces challenges but are proud of it and don't care what people think. New Orleans does have much more to be proud of than Baltimore does.

West Virginia people are also very proud and don't care that the liberal elites from the big cities look down on them.
What is your fascination with the Freddie Gray riot? You bring it up every time you mention Baltimore. That riot wasn't even a continuous 24 hours (a couple of hours Saturday, and a few hours the following monday). Let's what New Orleans has to be proud of that Baltimore doesn't. We can compare and contrast. Go.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:17 AM

461 posts, read 545,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
DC for sure. They do not need outside validation. It's the capital. I'd imagine NYC is the same. Everyone else has a chip on their shoulder one way or another, maybe not LA.
Just the opposite for DC. They know that being the administrative capital while being a tiny, what, 600k means nothing. NYC is the capital of the US in every way, and LA/Chicago are right behind. DC is an extended college experience. You move in, you move out. It even resembles a giant frat party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.