U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 08:04 AM

3,963 posts, read 3,498,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think Louisville is very nice for the size that it is. It's only a MSA of 1.3 million people. It's not going to compared to Indy or Cincy at that size. However when you compare it to its true peers, like Memphis, OKC, and Jacksonville, Louisville wins hands down and it isn't even a contest.
I think you are using stereotypes to make this post in place of actual experience. I spend a lot of time in both Louisville and Jacksonville, and there’s just no way Louisville beats JAX hands down. The beach communities alone give JAX an edge. Also the St Johns River is much more recreationally accessible than the Ohio which is a benefit to dt JAX over LOU. There are also comparable neighborhoods in JAX that never get talked about on here like Five Points, Riverside, and San Marco. Louisville also does not beat JAX in terms of shopping and air service. This is not a knock on Louisville as it’s both underrated and punches above its weight. Please stick to your MO of knocking OKC based on its over worked stereotypes, your lack of experience with other metros is starting to show.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 09:05 AM

6,980 posts, read 14,105,764 times
Insecurity=/=boasting. To be insecure, one must not be confident in his/her abilities. NYC is the exact opposite. We boast, we don't reflect a lack of confidence. We know our pizza is amazing and can be found by walking 2 blocks in any direction. Same can be said for sushi, coffee, Thai, etc. We confidently state that we can get just about everything within a 20 minute walk from our apartments. It is definitely boasting and arrogance. I would never deny that. But it is not insecurity. We know it's one of the most important cities in the world, and easily the most important in the Western Hemisphere. We know it's one of the most, if not THE most, diverse cities in the country and world.

Also, nobody in NYC would ever say our BBQ is better than the South. We know it's not. That's why we scramble to the newest openings of BBQ restaurants to see if they're actually as great as people say. They're usually not. And I'll easily admit that. I'll also easily admit that our nightlife is overrated because it's often either too long of a line to get in, too flashy and worried about dress code, too expensive, too crowded, and/or too hyped up. There is great nightlife to be had in NYC, but there are cities with better nightlife.

Other cities that are secure, and only ones that I can fully comment on, would be LA, Chicago, and Boston.
LA: It knows it's the second most important city in the country. It knows it provides a massive amount of media for the world. People don't generally care where you're from, just don't try to replicate your white suburban Midwest town in LA and accept it for what it is, please.
Chicago: I've asked plenty of people from Chicago their favorite and least favorite things about the place since I almost moved there. They overwhelmingly have basically nothing negative to say. They love the city. They don't want it to be NYC. They prefer its size, affordability, and culture. The two major issues I constantly heard were the weather and corruption (because stuff doesn't seem to ever change no matter the willpower on the streets).
Boston: It knows it's smaller than NYC and not as important, but it doesn't want to be NYC. It's fine exactly how it is, but like NYC, it boast about how it's exactly where it wants to be and how it doesn't want to be NYC.

Insecure cities would be SF and SD (the only two I know well enough to comment on).
SF: They truly think they're the most important city on Earth. They think they are better than LA and NYC at anything and everything. They act like the city has no flaws whatsoever and will tell you the weather is better than LA and NYC and has better restaurants and bars and public transit than NYC and LA combined. I could go on and on, as I have numerous times before, but I won't. I'll just say a major sign of insecurity is an unwillingness or incapacity to accept criticism without taking it personally and becoming offended. It's a fact that SF isn't the greatest and most important place on Earth, but tell a San Franciscan that and be ready to pack your bags and leave before the mobs chase you down.

SD: Really its greatest asset is the weather and beaches. Everyone I know that moved there or lives there just talks about and posts about the beach and weather every single day, sometimes several times per day. I get it. It's 72 and sunny. It was yesterday. It is today. It will be tomorrow. It will be for the next 79 days. Isn't there anything else you can post about in SD besides the weather, beach and hiking and trying to convince me that it's paradise on Earth? If you truly like SD for what it is, that's great! But nobody in SD seems to have anything convincing to say about it besides "it's 72 and sunny and not LA."

Philly is an between to me. They have a "take it or leave it, we're all a**holes and don't care if you like us or not." But at the same time, the city is still insanely characterized wrongly all the time. It's not a rundown hellhole, it's not the crap version of NYC, it's not a giant garbage bag of a city, you won't get shot just by walking down a street regardless of neighborhood, etc. So while the city doesn't care whether people like it or not in a very secure way, it also doesn't want people to think Philly in 2019 is the same as Philly 15 years ago. A lot of people and the media can't get past viewing Philly as it was before, and it's mostly just trying to change that image...while at the same time not caring if you don't like what it's become now.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:21 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,277,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
SF: They truly think they're the most important city on Earth. They think they are better than LA and NYC at anything and everything. They act like the city has no flaws whatsoever and will tell you the weather is better than LA and NYC and has better restaurants and bars and public transit than NYC and LA combined. I could go on and on, as I have numerous times before, but I won't. I'll just say a major sign of insecurity is an unwillingness or incapacity to accept criticism without taking it personally and becoming offended. It's a fact that SF isn't the greatest and most important place on Earth, but tell a San Franciscan that and be ready to pack your bags and leave before the mobs chase you down.
I gotto disagree here. SF doesn't really care what others do and it doesn't strive to be a NYC/LA... SF tends to think it's the best in city in the world for what it wants to be... a wine loving, liberal, organic, hipster, scenic, wear casual clothes to everything type of haven. They think their weather is the best bc it's SF weather and don't care if LA is sunnier. I find it similar to NYC in the fact that they both have the same "well, you can leave if you don't like it" mentality.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:30 AM

2,006 posts, read 1,023,417 times
Quit anthropomorphizing cities, people. They aren't people. People should not think any cities whispers to them, as cities don't have a voice, or lungs, or a brain, for that matter. People who denigrate cities all the time are insecure. People who think everyone should move south because winter is horrible, are also insecure. Let it be, and assume people live where they want to live.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I gotto disagree here. SF doesn't really care what others do and it doesn't strive to be a NYC/LA... SF tends to think it's the best in city in the world for what it wants to be... a wine loving, liberal, organic, hipster, scenic, wear casual clothes to everything type of haven. They think their weather is the best bc it's SF weather and don't care if LA is sunnier. I find it similar to NYC in the fact that they both have the same "well, you can leave if you don't like it" mentality.
After living in LA, SF, and NYC, I can tell SF is insecure. It really strongly cares about its status as CA and the West Coast's #2 city behind LA. It really wants you think it's #1 in CA, the West Coast, the USA, North America, and the world.

As for "if you don't like it, then leave" that's far from the truth. When Peter Shih wrote his 10 Things I Hate About You SF Edition or something, there was basically a group outcry and attempted deportation of Shih back to NYC. It was the talk of the town and signs were posted all over the city about how he needed to go home and people wanted to basically ban him from being in SF. People in SF will also treat you poorly if you don't think SF is the best place on earth. When I told people I was looking at grad schools in Chicago and NYC, I received some of the judgiest faces I've ever seen and questions like why would you leave the best place on earth? I told people I didn't like it there so that's why I wanted to move and I received so many nasty looks and barrages of questions from people appalled at anyone disagreeing with them over SF being the best place on earth. They want you to think it's NYC, yet restaurants close by 9pm and the public transit is abysmal. They also want you to think it's better than LA because they have some inexplicable hatred for LA, when LA really couldn't care less what SF does.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Quit anthropomorphizing cities, people. They aren't people. People should not think any cities whispers to them, as cities don't have a voice, or lungs, or a brain, for that matter. People who denigrate cities all the time are insecure. People who think everyone should move south because winter is horrible, are also insecure. Let it be, and assume people live where they want to live.
Cities aren't human, but they are full of humans. Not every human is the same, and in massive global cities, there is an unending array of personalities and humans. However, some cities tend to attract certain people with certain aspects. I.e. SF LA NYC DC Chicago are not liberal cities; they are full of liberal people, though, so we refer to the city as liberal.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:47 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,277,494 times
Quote:
After living in LA, SF, and NYC, I can tell SF is insecure. It really strongly cares about its status as CA and the West Coast's #2 city behind LA. It really wants you think it's #1 in CA, the West Coast, the USA, North America, and the world.

As for "if you don't like it, then leave" that's far from the truth. When Peter Shih wrote his 10 Things I Hate About You SF Edition or something, there was basically a group outcry and attempted deportation of Shih back to NYC. It was the talk of the town and signs were posted all over the city about how he needed to go home and people wanted to basically ban him from being in SF. People in SF will also treat you poorly if you don't think SF is the best place on earth. When I told people I was looking at grad schools in Chicago and NYC, I received some of the judgiest faces I've ever seen and questions like why would you leave the best place on earth? I told people I didn't like it there so that's why I wanted to move and I received so many nasty looks and barrages of questions from people appalled at anyone disagreeing with them over SF being the best place on earth. They want you to think it's NYC, yet restaurants close by 9pm and the public transit is abysmal. They also want you to think it's better than LA because they have some inexplicable hatred for LA, when LA really couldn't care less what SF does.
I've lived in Both SF and NYC along with DC, Chicago, Atlanta and few others and my experience was different. The people I knew loved LA and went all the time and kept SF and LA as two separate entities. They don't compete with LA because they think SF is better but see LA as fellow CA city that's a great weekend trip away, but again that's security in who/what they are imo. SF folks love NYC from my experience and love it for everything SF isn't and/or is comparable to. Different experience bw us I suppose....

Old 02-06-2019, 09:55 AM

2,006 posts, read 1,023,417 times
Quote:
Cities aren't human, but they are full of humans. Not every human is the same, and in massive global cities, there is an unending array of personalities and humans. However, some cities tend to attract certain people with certain aspects. I.e. SF LA NYC DC Chicago are not liberal cities; they are full of liberal people, though, so we refer to the city as liberal.
I understand that. I understand which cities are liberal (by majority), and which are not. I'm sick, though, of people, who think it's their job to tell us where to live, because they believe where they are is superior. I realize, as well, though, that people on this Forum, only represent themselves, and I think, they need to have a better understanding of that. Honestly, many are very, very, thinly disguised bullies.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:07 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Maybe on CD..... but definitely a no in real life. Government folk love being surrounded by other government folk and asking what school everyone went to before asking what someones name is.
That most certainly didn't apply to me during my time there and thankfully I didn't run into *too* many of those types while I was there.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:10 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I don’t believe people who actually live in DC or especially DC natives care or feel about any of those tithings
Natives, not as much...at least from my experiences. But it's a thing for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.