U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 10:18 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,199,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I understand that. I understand which cities are liberal (by majority), and which are not. I'm sick, though, of people, who think it's their job to tell us where to live, because they believe where they are is superior. I realize, as well, though, that people on this Forum, only represent themselves, and I think, they need to have a better understanding of that. Honestly, many are very, very, thinly disguised bullies.
I have a bigger issue with people telling me where NOT to live. To me, city boosters are fine. It is posters who take every opportunity to tear down a place that they personally don't like which I find sickening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 10:22 AM

2,507 posts, read 2,268,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That most certainly didn't apply to me during my time there and thankfully I didn't run into *too* many of those types while I was there.
yeah.. I love DC but it's one of the unfortunate prominent "traits" of DC. Where are you from? What school did you go to? What do you do for work? ....... only if those 3 pass then perhaps a what's your name?

Old 02-06-2019, 10:28 AM

3,790 posts, read 3,299,795 times
Well one city really comes to mind, based only on posters here, are NOT at all "secure" ...

That is... Chicago. IMO, it's not even close.

I'd say LA, DC, Philadelphia, NYC, Boston, Nashville, Austin, Denver, Seattle are some that come to mind as "secure" based on CityData posters. And somewhat in that order too.

In real life, status, etc. of a city doesn't come up - ever. People generally talk about positive places whether it's a city, a national park, a beach, etc.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
yeah.. I love DC but it's one of the unfortunate prominent "traits" of DC. Where are you from? What school did you go to? What do you do for work? ....... only if those 3 pass then perhaps a what's your name?
Is that not everywhere though?

In Charlotte, those are the same 3 questions people would ask. Where are you from.... and the cool places to work and go to school... Bank of America/Wells Fargo, UNC Chapel Hill/Duke.

Not sure it's a DC thing rather just normal interaction.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:41 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,015,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Well one city really comes to mind, based only on posters here, are NOT at all "secure" ...

I'd say LA, DC, Philadelphia, NYC, Boston, Nashville, Austin, Denver, Seattle are some that come to mind as "secure" based on CityData posters. And somewhat in that order too.

In real life, status, etc. of a city doesn't come up - ever. People generally talk about positive places whether it's a city, a national park, a beach, etc.
You do your fair amount of boosting of Charlotte....does that make Charlotte insecure? Chicago has a handful of boosters, who usually respond to those, who are critical. Think about it, you're judging Chicago (a city of MILLIONS) by the posts of a handful? Doesn't that just seem silly?

Old 02-06-2019, 11:31 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Quote:

I've noticed Austin, Seattle and Portlanders have the "don't you dare move here, this is my secret" attitude.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:09 PM

2,507 posts, read 2,268,209 times
Quote:

In Charlotte, those are the same 3 questions people would ask. Where are you from.... and the cool places to work and go to school... Bank of America/Wells Fargo, UNC Chapel Hill/Duke.

It does exist everywhere but it's much more prevalent and/or ingrained into the local culture in DC where areas in other cities it's more segmented and far fewer.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:57 PM

29,902 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:

You'll eventually get asked those questions in Charlotte in the general course of conversation but they aren't literally among the first questions you'll get asked upon meeting someone new.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
You do your fair amount of boosting of Charlotte....does that make Charlotte insecure? Chicago has a handful of boosters, who usually respond to those, who are critical. Think about it, you're judging Chicago (a city of MILLIONS) by the posts of a handful? Doesn't that just seem silly?

I don't go around telling other smaller cities incessantly why Charlotte is in a higher tier, it's more prestigious, it's more of a big boy city, etc. on every thread I enter into. I boost everything I like. Everyone does. There is talking about something you like and are passionate about. Then there's just being obnoxious and trying to tell everyone else why they suck...

God forbid Atlanta is mentioned in a conversation and some Chicago posters go nuts about what tier it is, who is a big boy city, who is super important, etc. It's crazy. I don't even care for Atlanta and I think the anti-ATL stuff is getting old.

And I'm not judging a city of MILLIONS by a handful of post. I'm saying, based only on post here, it seems like Chicago posters are the more sensitive of people from other places. Not people in real life. I think City-data folks are not at all representative of the overall populace of anywhere.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:00 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Which American cities are most comfortable with themselves. By this I mean, turn inward to how those in the city see themselves....with no regard to how others outside see them.

I'm suggesting cities that are secure enough in their offerings, their urbanity, their ability to be that "complete city" that they themselves feel no real need to compare themselves to others.

These cities respect peer cities and recognize their worth because they are comfortable enough in their own offerings that they don't feel threatened.

These are cities where at least a part (a good part) of their population views them as being the "ultimate city" since they honestly do feel they offer the best urban experience out there.

Remember: we're talking about how insiders see their city; the feelings of outsiders don't count. So any comments made here should reflect on how the city sees itself, not what others think. (obviously that doesn't suggest on any level that one can't comment on a city other than their own....it's just those comments need to be how that city sees itself.)
New York City, of course. We're the best. That's it. End of story. What other city even remotely close matches what NYC provides? IMO, none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.