Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 07:06 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,771,363 times

Advertisements

Which American cities are most comfortable with themselves. By this I mean, turn inward to how those in the city see themselves....with no regard to how others outside see them.

I'm suggesting cities that are secure enough in their offerings, their urbanity, their ability to be that "complete city" that they themselves feel no real need to compare themselves to others.

These cities respect peer cities and recognize their worth because they are comfortable enough in their own offerings that they don't feel threatened.

These are cities where at least a part (a good part) of their population views them as being the "ultimate city" since they honestly do feel they offer the best urban experience out there.

Remember: we're talking about how insiders see their city; the feelings of outsiders don't count. So any comments made here should reflect on how the city sees itself, not what others think. (obviously that doesn't suggest on any level that one can't comment on a city other than their own....it's just those comments need to be how that city sees itself.)

Last edited by edsg25; 07-29-2017 at 07:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 08:37 AM

13,955 posts, read 14,857,180 times
I would say Cities is the 2nd tier grouping, Boston, Houston, Dallas, Miami. This is because there is such a clear gap between say Dallas and Chicago that it's crazy for anyone to claim they are up there with them.
I excluded SF because they do believer they are #2 to NYC for some reason, and Philly seems like they are out to prove themselves.

I don't blame smaller cities for claiming higher places because the distance between Cleveland and the next tier down, Kansas City is much smaller than LA to Houston so there probably are things KC is better at than cities a tier above them, so it gets more muddled.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:18 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,612,120 times
Boston for sure.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:28 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,307,511 times
San Francisco without a doubt.

San Francisco natives will stand by that place and disregard everything outsiders say about it, super annoying

Old 07-29-2017, 10:09 AM

5,253 posts, read 5,975,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
San Francisco without a doubt.

San Francisco natives will stand by that place and disregard everything outsiders say about it, super annoying
Is that a sign of being secure? Or is it hubris and over-confident. They are not the same thing.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Is that a sign of being secure? Or is it hubris and over-confident. They are not the same thing.
Could be both?

I think the overall mentality of people in the Bay Area, is there is no place better. I definitely think over-confidence plays a factor, but I also think some would say it's security

Old 07-30-2017, 01:15 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,497,726 times
The first city that came to my mind was Louisville. It has its own unique culture and history being on the boarder of the Midwest and the South. It's clearly superior to its neighbors, Indianapolis and Cincinnati, but it knows it will never be Chicago and I didn't get the impression that it's trying to be the next Portland or Austin.

Oklahoma City also comes to mind. There's nothing spectacular or noteworthy about OKC, and the people who live there are just fine with that. There's also nothing bad about OKC either. The people are down-to-earth and welcoming, and you won't come across the "$30,000 millionaires" that are ubiquitous in nearby Dallas.

Buffalo is an interesting case. While being the poster child of urban decay, the city has some really exceptional architecture and is home to a surprisingly fertile art scene. The residents (the ones who haven't moved to New York City, Fort Lauderdale, and Scottsdale) embrace their city for what it is. You'll see t-shirts and bumper stickers reading "Buffalove" and the more cynical but equally charming "Buffalo Hates You Too." But is this true acceptance or is it overcompensation for an insecurity?

Old 07-30-2017, 01:40 PM

75 posts, read 89,140 times
Many people who live in Seattle feel that Seattle is by far the greatest city in the world and they don't care how other people feel about Seattle. It's kind of annoying.

Last edited by IcomeInPeaceDolphLundgren; 07-30-2017 at 01:50 PM..

Old 07-30-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
The first city that came to my mind was Louisville. It has its own unique culture and history being on the boarder of the Midwest and the South. It's clearly superior to its neighbors, Indianapolis and Cincinnati, but it knows it will never be Chicago and I didn't get the impression that it's trying to be the next Portland or Austin.

Oklahoma City also comes to mind. There's nothing spectacular or noteworthy about OKC, and the people who live there are just fine with that. There's also nothing bad about OKC either. The people are down-to-earth and welcoming, and you won't come across the "$30,000 millionaires" that are ubiquitous in nearby Dallas.

Buffalo is an interesting case. While being the poster child of urban decay, the city has some really exceptional architecture and is home to a surprisingly fertile art scene. The residents (the ones who haven't moved to New York City, Fort Lauderdale, and Scottsdale) embrace their city for what it is. You'll see t-shirts and bumper stickers reading "Buffalove" and the more cynical but equally charming "Buffalo Hates You Too." But is this true acceptance or is it overcompensation for an insecurity?
You're awesome!

Being from Louisville, I almost mentioned it, but decided against it.

Louisville is totally different from the actual state of KY. The hard working, blue collar culture is still alive and well, and yet the city has amazing urban areas that draw attention. People know where they're, where they belong, super friendly, and southern hospitality is all in a days work.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:54 PM

75 posts, read 89,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
You're awesome!

Being from Louisville, I almost mentioned it, but decided against it.

Louisville is totally different from the actual state of KY. The hard working, blue collar culture is still alive and well, and yet the city has amazing urban areas that draw attention. People know where they're, where they belong, super friendly, and southern hospitality is all in a days work.
Louisville seems like an awesome city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.