U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2017, 11:05 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,825 posts, read 12,338,063 times
Reputation: 4779

Advertisements

South Charleston, West Virginia is mostly north of Charleston WV. Only one small part of South Charleston is actually south of Charleston.

There is a Midwest City in Oklahoma though Oklahoma is not always considered a Midwestern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2017, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,331 posts, read 3,057,613 times
Reputation: 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
South Charleston, West Virginia is mostly north of Charleston WV. Only one small part of South Charleston is actually south of Charleston.
The West Side of St Paul is like that. It is directly south of downtown and is the southernmost part of the city. It is in no way in the western part of the city. It gets its name because it is the only neighborhood in St Paul that is on the "western" side of the Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2017, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Center City
6,864 posts, read 7,811,377 times
Reputation: 9492
I moved to Philly in 2011 and in that time, I find the city derives little of its identity from the state of Pennsylvania. The world here centers on these 5 counties nestled up close against the New Jersey and Delaware borders. The only time Pennsylvania comes up on the radar is when one more onerous pieces of legislation is proposed in Harrisburg.

And kinship with Philly's other city Pittsburgh - forget it! Pittsburgh may as well be in Colorado. It just seems so far away. And that's because . . . it is. Boston is pretty much the same distance as Pittsburgh. In fact, Boston, up the road on I95 seems so much closer than anyplace flung far away along the western stretches of the Pennsylvania turnpike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 02:05 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,825 posts, read 12,338,063 times
Reputation: 4779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
The West Side of St Paul is like that. It is directly south of downtown and is the southernmost part of the city. It is in no way in the western part of the city. It gets its name because it is the only neighborhood in St Paul that is on the "western" side of the Mississippi.
Oh yes and a lot of the "East Bank" of the Mississippi River in the New Orleans area isn't really east of New Orleans. The Mississippi at that point is actually east-west in many places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 08:31 AM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,137 posts, read 9,915,669 times
Reputation: 6424
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
There are places that are not considered part of where they are located. I can think of two examples:

San Francisco: San Francisco is obviously on the San Francisco peninsula. Yet the term "The Peninsula" does not refer to San Francisco. The Peninsula is all areas south of San Francisco that are on the San Francisco Peninsula

Brooklyn and Queens: These two NYC boroughs are obviously on Long Island, but they are not considered part of Long Island. Long Island begins once you pass NYC's eastern city limits.

Are there other places out there that follow this same "places not part of where they are"??????????
Regarding what you say about Brooklyn and Queens, this is why I picked my screen name. When I was a kid living in Queens and already a geography nerd, it was strange to me that so many people did not know they were also living on Long Island. Some knew but I would say that the majority did not.

This is also true of my Suffolk relatives (my mother is from Suffolk) many of whom had no idea that Queens and especially Brooklyn were on Long Island.

Anyway I used to point out the following facts to the unbelievers:
1. The Long Island Railroad travels through Brooklyn and Queens - in fact its main LI station (Jamaica), headquarters (Jamaica) and main rail yard are all in Queens.
2. The Long Island Expressway travels completely across Queens from west to east until it enters Nassau County.
3. There is a major community called LONG ISLAND CITY in western Queens.
4. There are several smaller neighborhoods (Bellerose, New Hyde Park, Floral Park) which are both in Queens and Nassau which leads to point 5.
5. And here is the kicker - if Nassau is on an island and you believe that Queens is not - where is the water separating them? Not counting the bays at the north and south ends there is none.

Conclusion Queens (and Brooklyn) is also on Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 AM
 
9,385 posts, read 9,551,583 times
Reputation: 5790
Cape Anne in Massachusetts is a natural island, and most Lakes in Louisiana are not Lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 12:28 PM
 
1,593 posts, read 835,425 times
Reputation: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Cape Anne in Massachusetts is a natural island, and most Lakes in Louisiana are not Lakes.
There are also the Boston Harbor "Islands" in East Boston, South Boston and Winthrop that are no longer islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,512 posts, read 2,976,691 times
Reputation: 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
The Philly metro area nickname is the Delaware Valley, but Philly and it's PA and NJ suburbs are obviously not a part of Delaware. Only New Castle County, DE is part of the MSA.
Yup, which is why I think there's a battle between using "Greater Philadelphia" versus the "Delaware Valley" , named after the valley in which the Delaware River flows. Visit Philadelphia and the Chamber of Commerce use Greater Philadelphia, as do several organizations like LinkedIn and KYW Radio, while the Delaware Valley is used by ABC6 and other local organizations. I personally think Greater Philadelphia is better for national purposes, while the Delaware Valley is fine for local usage.

The other metros with nicknames, like the Bay Area, the Tri-State Area and the Metroplex, besides having better traction already, can at least add the primate cities name in front of it for clarification (The San Francisco Bay Area, the New York Tri State Area and the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex). I think the DMV for the Washigton metropolitan area might be the only other commonly used metro nickname that gives outsiders/ignorant people no idea (or the wrong one) of where you're talking about, since no one says the Washington DMV--they'll think of the place where you register your cars. Other metro names like South Florida and Northeast Ohio are also ambiguous for an outsider, as far as which city runs things, but at least you have a location. Most unassuming people would believe the Delaware Valley is a valley in Delaware, or a metro area centered in Delaware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 09:56 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,522,205 times
Reputation: 17606
Not sure how much this counts, it's a little more convoluted of a background, but Ellis Island is actually part of both NY and NJ although it is NY that takes and gets all the credit. It's actually about 90% NJ and 10% NY. NJ took NY to the Supreme Court about it and won - sort of.

The island is indisputably within NJ waters and is much closer to NJ than it is to NY, but for whatever reason NY got the island back in the 1800s. NJ had agreed that NY could have the original island itself while any surrounding water would remain part of NJ. But NY expanded the island, and today most of the island is actually not natural and is reclaimed land. So when NJ took NY to court about it in 1998, the SCOTUS judges determined that, due to the agreement, any part of the original island is NY and any part of the island that was added on is part of NJ because it was taken from NJ waters. So the island is part of both, yet controlled by the federal government as it is a national park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2017, 01:23 AM
 
Location: Land of Ill Noise
956 posts, read 1,776,021 times
Reputation: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
South Charleston, West Virginia is mostly north of Charleston WV. Only one small part of South Charleston is actually south of Charleston.

There is a Midwest City in Oklahoma though Oklahoma is not always considered a Midwestern state.
I've never understood why Oklahoma is infrequently considered a Midwest state, by some. It's south of the Mason-Dixon line, it has a mix of both Southern and Plains culture, and most people only consider the Midwest running as south as Missouri and Kansas.

As for the person who mentioned Queens and Brooklyn, yes long ago(I'm a big history geek) those 2 places used to not have a separate county government from what is today Nassau County. At some point, those places chose to separate their county government from what is today Nassau County. And of course, we know New York City later annexed those 2 counties into what is today NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top