U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2017, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,853 posts, read 6,526,459 times
Reputation: 5336

Advertisements

There are places that are not considered part of where they are located. I can think of two examples:

San Francisco: San Francisco is obviously on the San Francisco peninsula. Yet the term "The Peninsula" does not refer to San Francisco. The Peninsula is all areas south of San Francisco that are on the San Francisco Peninsula

Brooklyn and Queens: These two NYC boroughs are obviously on Long Island, but they are not considered part of Long Island. Long Island begins once you pass NYC's eastern city limits.

Are there other places out there that follow this same "places not part of where they are"??????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2017, 06:01 AM
 
9,378 posts, read 9,534,811 times
Reputation: 5786
In Massachusetts the Berkshires are not Western Mass, Western Mass is from Worcester to the edge of Metro Springfield. Similarly the Cape is considered the Cape, not Eastern Mass, despite being east of eastern Mass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 06:10 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,059 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Reputation: 15188
I think that cities that have a lot of water and resultant islands, archipelagoes and peninsulas have communities like this.
In Seattle, communities like Vashon and Bainbridge Islands feel like they are a world away from any city, although they are part of the metro (even receiving bus service).
In Tampa, Davis Islands retains a very bucolic feel totally at odds with its surroundings even though it's in the shadow of downtown.
Here in my hometown of Brunswick, the city, St Simons and Jekyll Islands are all considered part of the metro but all have very distinct and disparate identities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 09:23 AM
 
7,701 posts, read 4,557,747 times
Reputation: 8408
Marble Hill is technically a Manhattan neighborhood, although it's physically connected to the Bronx. Roosevelt Island is technically Manhattan, although the only bridge to the island is in Queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 10:04 AM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,595,176 times
Reputation: 1072
The Philly metro area nickname is the Delaware Valley, but Philly and it's PA and NJ suburbs are obviously not a part of Delaware. Only New Castle County, DE is part of the MSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 10:21 AM
 
7,701 posts, read 4,557,747 times
Reputation: 8408
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
The Philly metro area nickname is the Delaware Valley, but Philly and it's PA and NJ suburbs are obviously not a part of Delaware. Only New Castle County, DE is part of the MSA.
Wait, is this a joke? It's called the De...nevermind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 10:46 AM
 
10 posts, read 4,572 times
Reputation: 26
Portsmouth, Ohio's slogan is "Where Southern Hospitality Begins" Even though, while bordering the Ohio River across from Kentucky, it is in a "Northern" state. The southern parts of Lower Midwestern states can seem to be kinda "Southern" yet not a part of it at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati (Norwood)
3,507 posts, read 3,958,908 times
Reputation: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Midwesterner View Post
Portsmouth, Ohio's slogan is "Where Southern Hospitality Begins" Even though, while bordering the Ohio River across from Kentucky, it is in a "Northern" state. The southern parts of Lower Midwestern states can seem to be kinda "Southern" yet not a part of it at the same time.
What you've described is also true of Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Chicago
14 posts, read 7,374 times
Reputation: 40
I'm in Chicago. Any part of Illinois which isn't in the Chicago area (7 out of 102 Illinois counties are considered "Chicagoland") is usually referred by Chicagoans as "downstate." This term even applies to counties which are either north or west of the Chicago area. In the most common parlance, "downstate" would refer to an area to the south of a particular location. There's a lot of resentment toward the Chicago area in the rest of Illinois, as many of those residents feel that Chicago dominates the state economically and politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Chicago
5,853 posts, read 6,526,459 times
Reputation: 5336
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVS60612 View Post
I'm in Chicago. Any part of Illinois which isn't in the Chicago area (7 out of 102 Illinois counties are considered "Chicagoland") is usually referred by Chicagoans as "downstate." This term even applies to counties which are either north or west of the Chicago area. In the most common parlance, "downstate" would refer to an area to the south of a particular location. There's a lot of resentment toward the Chicago area in the rest of Illinois, as many of those residents feel that Chicago dominates the state economically and politically.
Yep, Galena is definitely "downstate"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top