U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:43 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,482,162 times

Advertisements

Often the bear encounters in Southern California are at those homes right up the foothills of the mountains. They swim in the pools and look through trash. Cougars can be found up there, too. But down in the city of LA, bears and cougars are a different type of human.

Go to Hawaii, they dont have bears there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,146,342 times
Where we live in the foothills of Colorado Springs we have deer, deer and more deer (like dogs). ALL types of rodents from rabbits to prairie dogs. Mountain lions, and yes bears. They like to chew on my flexible downspouts. Once, one ripped it right off the exterior wall. My dog (a sheltie) was killed by a coyote some years back. It's a regular zoo up here.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:48 AM

21,389 posts, read 21,954,803 times
a punch in the nose will stop any bear dead in it's tracks

Old 08-02-2017, 11:50 AM

8,047 posts, read 5,915,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaTea View Post
It has come to my attention that there are bears showing up in more and more populated areas of the country. I'm trying to decide where I'd like to relocate to, but there is no way I would comfortable anywhere that has the possibility of a BEAR walking down the street or showing up in my yard.
Please tell me where they are!
I have seen, on the news, personally, black bears in cities in North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut.
YMMV

Old 08-02-2017, 11:52 AM

8,047 posts, read 5,915,367 times
The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:55 AM

18,129 posts, read 8,972,646 times
I knew a couple that were eaten by a Grizzly in Glacier National Park as they slept in their tent. Very sad. Don't mess with the Grizzlies! Black Bears are typically not aggressive, but I still give them a wide birth, as I do Brown Bears.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:25 PM

172 posts, read 140,607 times
Thanks for the few serious replies here.

It's too bad people can't just answer the question posed. I don't see what's funny about my concern. I'd like to see all you sarcastic people here if a bear was on your deck or in your yard. You'd be cracking jokes left and right I'm sure.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:10 PM

5,257 posts, read 3,655,410 times
Quote:
It has come to my attention that there are bears showing up in more and more populated areas of the country. I'm trying to decide where I'd like to relocate to, but there is no way I would comfortable anywhere that has the possibility of a BEAR walking down the street or showing up in my yard.

Please tell me where they are!
You need to worry more about getting mangled by someone pet dog.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:16 PM

6,529 posts, read 7,485,723 times
We have bears in East Tennessee. They are fun to watch if you see one and they really do not harm anyone unless that person is messing with them or thier cubs. Bear attacks are extremely rare.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:09 PM

6,529 posts, read 7,485,723 times
Quote:
Thanks for the few serious replies here.

It's too bad people can't just answer the question posed. I don't see what's funny about my concern. I'd like to see all you sarcastic people here if a bear was on your deck or in your yard. You'd be cracking jokes left and right I'm sure.
I don't think most post are intentionally not being serious, many of us who do live around bears (black bears anyway) know they are harmless animals that are enjoyable to watch. Cleaning up thier mess if they get into your stuff is no fun though. However if they really bother you that much a previous poster added a link to where bears live. Avoid the parts of America where there are mountains, avoid the upper Midwest and some areas of the coastal south and you should have less contact with them. As to your question about them being in your back yard, well personally I would get my phone out and record it, I'd find it pretty neat to have them back there. If the bear was destroying my property I would open the door and run him off. Most bears would run immediately at the sight and sound of humans.

Lots of America is bear free, you should have no problem finding a suitable place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or