U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:03 AM

2,036 posts, read 1,030,874 times

Advertisements

I get this. I live where there are bears, even though they're very seldom seen. I walk everyday, but I don't walk in areas adjacent to any woods. I walk where houses are close together (more urban setting), and there are sidewalks, so you can quickly be in someone's house if a bear comes walking around the corner. I admit I have a little bit of a phobia, because I just. can't. imagine. It's not that unnatural, though, as it doesn't keep me from the outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:14 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,132,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Chicago has some bears, but they've been hibernating.
That's funny!

In all seriousness though, more urban environments will be the best places to avoid bears. If your preference is to live in fringes around urban zones or in rural areas, interface with animals can hardly be avoided, but yes, some places may be more conducive to bear habitat than others.

Bear encounters are not a stat that most places will keep track of. Of course, if it occurs, it may make headlines if it is an area where it rarely happens, so you may find news clippings about it. What about jobs, real estate, recreation, and other amenities as part of a place to live? I'm sure if you can narrow it down to a state, the appropriate Dept of Wildlife can maybe give you information about the possibility of bear encounters in specific areas in that state.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:57 AM

4,271 posts, read 5,496,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
That's funny!
The first thing I thought when I read the headline of this thread was: Illinois! Monsters of the Midway!

Old 08-03-2017, 09:28 AM

21,367 posts, read 21,941,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
The first thing I thought when I read the headline of this thread was: Illinois! Monsters of the Midway!

I thought he was referring to a gay biker gang

Old 08-03-2017, 09:39 AM

4,271 posts, read 5,496,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I thought he was referring to a gay biker gang
See, I might've thought more along those lines if it had been posted in the relationships forum...

Old 08-03-2017, 09:47 AM

21,367 posts, read 21,941,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
See, I might've thought more along those lines if it had been posted in the relationships forum...

to be honest, I had completely forgot that Chicago still had a football team

Old 08-03-2017, 10:24 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 28 days ago)

10,522 posts, read 14,357,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Dude guys, cut it out. So the OP has a phobia, so what?

Questions about states without insects, spiders, and venomous snakes have been answered seriously in the past. Why not this?
Because it's much more common to have an encounter with an insect, snake,
or spider than a bear?
Not that I mean the question shouldn't be answered seriously, just that the question itself is bound to raise a few eyebrows because it's so unlikely to happen.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:46 AM

3,988 posts, read 3,643,090 times
To avoid everything you mentioned, maybe an urban area, upper floor apartment. Enclose your outdoor area, if you have one, hawks and other birds of prey.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:59 AM

172 posts, read 140,501 times
The fact that anyone here is ridiculing me for not wanting to live in an area that is known to have wandering BEARS in it, speaks volumes about the kind of people YOU are. I won't go any further with that. You can make of it what you will.

Thanks again to those few decent who have been nice and helpful.

I won't be looking at this thread anymore, since I've gotten almost no useful info from it. I did not expect this kind of treatment.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:16 PM

5,582 posts, read 3,726,054 times
First, expectations of any kind of treatment here is unwise.

Second, most here have offered good information.

Third, while many tend to be playful with the subject, that doesn't mean they are not serious.

Finally, I think this thread was actually quite good thanks to the original post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or