U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 10:28 AM

6,800 posts, read 11,779,854 times

Advertisements

Would Portland, OR count as a city with 4 seasons? Though snow is fairly rare (and the past winter was a bit of an anomaly), it does go below freezing regularly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 11:16 AM

6,564 posts, read 10,280,522 times
Denver. We get a lot of snow but it's not dreary and below freezing for long periods of time so the snow doesn't stick around for weeks on end. Days in the 50s and 60s in January and February are not uncommon.

Snow season can be long and protracted (Sept-May) so it has a tendency to eat into Fall and Spring. Summer's are fantastic. Little to no humidity. Overnight lows in the upper 50s/low 60s in July and August.

If it gets too hot down here, you can drive 30-60 minutes into the mountains and the temps drop considerably.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:21 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Mid-Atlantic--Philly down to about Richmond. Goldilocks climate. Not too hot. Not too cold. Four even seasons.
I disagree, Philly winters for example can last 4 to 5 months. A bit further south from DC south to the I-40/I-85 cities in NC is probably the sweet spot for four seasons evenly divided and not to the extreme in any. If one desires snowfall the Baltimore area is probably as far north as one would want without Winter "runover" involving a shorter Fall or Spring, or both.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:27 AM

5,311 posts, read 5,335,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I disagree, Philly winters for example can last 4 to 5 months. A bit further south from DC south to the I-40/I-85 cities in NC is probably the sweet spot for four seasons evenly divided and not to the extreme in any. If one desires snowfall the Baltimore area is probably as far north as one would want without Winter "runover" involving a shorter Fall or Spring, or both.
Maybe we just define winter differently, but Philly is pretty temperate until December (second half mostly), and then by March, things are mostly over. Not only is that span not completely all winter weather (snow, freezing, etc.), but the storms that might come through in March move through and are over pretty quickly for the most part. Five months seems very unusual.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:33 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,141,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Denver. We get a lot of snow but it's not dreary and below freezing for long periods of time so the snow doesn't stick around for weeks on end. Days in the 50s and 60s in January and February are not uncommon.

Snow season can be long and protracted (Sept-May) so it has a tendency to eat into Fall and Spring. Summer's are fantastic. Little to no humidity. Overnight lows in the upper 50s/low 60s in July and August.

If it gets too hot down here, you can drive 30-60 minutes into the mountains and the temps drop considerably.
Without a doubt, our city for sure. Summers hot and dry & not very humid, Indians Summers, extreme cold and snow isn't very consistent in the city itself.

While the East Coast was digging out of a blizzard in March, it was 80+ degrees out here. I couldn't believe it.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:37 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,148,028 times
Some locations that have all four seasons might only have a month each of spring and fall. So, you have to be careful of the proportions of each season.

Just because a location has all four, and looks good on paper, it might be less ideal than a location with "only" three seasons. In other words, 42/8/42/8 might not be as enjoyable as three more balanced seasons (33/33/33), for example. I've found the later to work much better.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:11 PM

9,526 posts, read 4,352,558 times
Quote:
I live in Northern Va. So Philly winters are a little colder than around here. But not too bad. Wouldn't want to live any further north though. Piedmont Carolina might be the sweet spot. Further south would be too hot and not enough winter.

Last edited by r small; 08-02-2017 at 12:19 PM..

Old 08-02-2017, 01:05 PM

5,725 posts, read 5,115,122 times
Quote:
That is rare to have a 5 month winter in Philadelphia, more often then not DC and Philly get hit about the same for winter, just add a few degrees to the DC temperature.

You could also make the argument for summers in DC, longer, hotter, more humid, whereas Philadelphia becomes very temperate come late August-September.

But in general, I would say Southern PA, DE, NJ, MD, and VA have a very even distribution of the 4 seasons. NY area not far behind, New England is a little too cold to have an even distribution of the seasons.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:11 PM

75 posts, read 59,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Would Portland, OR count as a city with 4 seasons? Though snow is fairly rare (and the past winter was a bit of an anomaly), it does go below freezing regularly.
I would not count Portland. I also would not count Seattle.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:21 PM

4,155 posts, read 924,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Las Vegas
Las Vegas has 4 seasons? Snow and cold seems quite rare IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or