U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 03:09 PM

3,784 posts, read 3,002,395 times

Advertisements

So, I had this thought because, while I've been to London once when younger, I definitely want to spend more time and go back to see it more thoroughly. Seeing many things, mind you, but one of the things I would definitely want to do while there is hit major sites from Harry Potter (King's Cross, Leadenhall Market, etc.). It got me thinking. What US cities have similar pilgrimages for fans of different series, movies, books, etc? Not just that they were made there, that doesn't say much. But that some part of them has an absolute fabric within that city.

For Cleveland, I think the major one fans would come here to see (and I believe there actually is a small gathering for his birthday each year) is Superman. There are a number of sites around town, including the SBC/Bell Building (widely believed to be inspiration/a ringer for the Daily Planet), a statue that will be placed on the waterfront near the Rock Hall, an exhibit that will perhaps eventually be moved a smaller space (now at the library), and Jerry Siegel/Joe Schuster's houses, both well preserved and with a colorful plaque outside.

Also, and hour SW of the city is the Ohio State Reformatory (Mansfield) (a.k.a. Shawshank Prison)

There are a number of other cities where I think of certain fans of the show coming to see it.

-Miami Beach is probably a popular visit for fans of the movie Scarface, and the TV show Miami Vice.
-Atlanta would seem to be a destination for fans of the Hunger Games and The Walking Dead.
-San Francisco, for fans of Full House (Alamo Square) and Star Wars (Lucasfilm)
-Los Angeles, New York City I'm sure have too many to name

I'm having trouble thinking of too many movies or fandoms based upon my current place of residence, but everyone flocks to Disney. Edward Scissorhands I suppose (Lakeland area)

This probably sounds crazy, but visiting sights from Hoosiers (Knightstown Gym/Hinkle Fieldhouse), Salt Lake City (Sandlot sites), and visiting Initech (suburban office park in Austin, it is recognizable to some degree) (Office Space) are things that would be high on my list when visiting those cities.

What others? The other story that amused me the most and inspired me to post this, was that I was talking to a German guy that visited Cleveland once. The SOLE reason he did so was because of the movie "Major League" (I didn't have the heart to tell him they actually used the now defunct Brewers stadium)

Last edited by cavsfan137; 08-02-2017 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
I wanna go to Albuquerque and visits locations from Breaking Bad.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:09 PM

596 posts, read 676,076 times
When I was in Dallas last year, I went a tour of Southfork Ranch from the TV series Dallas.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:22 AM

2,670 posts, read 2,035,295 times
Night of the Living Dead fans often return to the Monroeville Mall, just outside of Pittsburgh.

'Living dead' return to stalk Monroeville Mall | TribLIVE

Old 08-04-2017, 06:36 AM

4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
I don't think most Hunger Games fans know that it's shot in Atlanta. Atlanta, to it's credit, has a lot of diverse imagery but still has that any town USA affect. That's why so many movies are shot there.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:50 AM

29,916 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't think most Hunger Games fans know that it's shot in Atlanta. Atlanta, to it's credit, has a lot of diverse imagery but still has that any town USA affect. That's why so many movies are shot there.
No, so many movies are shot there because of Georgia's generous tax incentives for the film industry.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:09 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,037,427 times
Philly, for all the Rocky venues (every time I drive past the Phila. Museum of Art there's always someone running up the steps or posing next to his statue). And if you go back 30 or so years, for venues from Trading Places.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:14 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,124,669 times
Minneapolis
Mary Tyler Moore, Fargo, Grumpy Old Men, Mighty Ducks

Old 08-04-2017, 10:14 AM

6,561 posts, read 3,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I wanna go to Albuquerque and visits locations from Breaking Bad.
I think the group tour to the various locations is in an old RV.
There are plenty of maps.

Better Call Saul locations are on this map...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...198403319&z=11

Old 08-04-2017, 02:59 PM

122 posts, read 78,436 times
Pittsburgh if you a fan of zombies and ABQ for Breaking Bad were the first ones that came to mind.

Maybe Las Vegas or Hawaii if you love Elvis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or