U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:37 PM

22 posts, read 17,184 times

Advertisements

Due to poor vision, I can't drive. I'm an accounting major. I'm looking for cities that are affordable where I can live with no car.
My definition of affordable is renting a studio under $1000/mo. The city being less than 100 for cost of living index is a good sign.
I don't care about weather. So far I'm considering phikadelphia, pittsburgh, indianapolis, milwaUkee, richmond. Please give me suggestions and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 05:18 AM

56,792 posts, read 81,149,048 times
Perhaps cities with multiple modes of public transportation like Cleveland, Buffalo and St. Louis could be added to the list as well.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:52 AM

7,747 posts, read 4,598,217 times
Chicago. You can find a studio for under $1000 in Lakeview, Edgewater, Uptown, Roscoe Village, West Town, Ravenswood. These are all safe, walkable North Side neighborhoods with lots of options for young people. Hyde Park and Kenwood are safe walkable South Side neighborhoods with lots of amenities, but it you're not affiliated with UofC, they can feel a bit isolated from the rest of the city.

Chicago will probably offer you better career opportunities than other cities in that price range.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:06 AM

21,228 posts, read 30,461,228 times
The average one bedroom in Philadelphia rents for $1450 a month so it's really not that "affordable" given a studio won't be too far below that, nor likely in a neighborhood or building you would hope to be living in while paying under $1000 a month.

Indianapolis is an excellent option with the campus of IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis) located in the city center and a compact layout that's walkable, has good transit and is well below $1000 a month (average one bedrooms rent for $835 a month).

I agree Cleveland is also a great choice with it's multiple node transit system (heavy rail, trolley, bus rapid transit and bus), a fairly condensed urban layout for walkability, Cleveland State University's very accessible downtown campus and low rent (one bedroom's average $825 a month).

Another option I think that would play out well for you is Kansas City which also has a fairly compact city center with affordable rent ($825 average for one bedrooms), multiple forms of transit (bus, bus rapid transit and trolley), walkability and the campus of the University of Missouri-Kansas City in the heart of downtown.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:23 AM

7,747 posts, read 4,598,217 times
Truth be told, anytime someone asks for cheap, transit oriented and amenities, and they don't specify warm weather, single-family homes or good public schools, the answer is always Chicago or Philadelphia.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:34 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,983,154 times
With an accounting degree, you might wish to consider Wilmington, as this is a major finance hub for the Delaware Valley. Over 60% of the Fortune 500 is incorporated here, along with over 50% of publicly traded corporations. Most of the big banks/lending services (Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, PNC, MetLife, Capitol One, Navient, etc.) have headquarters here, along with several international banks (Barclays, ING Direct). Finding a job based in accounting or in finance in general will be easier here, since you have a degree and competition is less intense than places like New York or Boston.

You can probably find a studio under $1000 in Philly, but it probably will have some issues or be far from the city core. There are studios to be had here for under $1000 in Trolley Square (the most desireable neighborhood for young professionals) and Downtown (currently undergoing a lot of gentrification). If you'll be living in those neighborhoods, the city is immensely walkable with amenities. There's also frequent bus service in the city, while Greyhound and the Dollar buses provide cheap service to the rest of the Northeast. The Amtrak Station will also be in walking distance, which has SEPTA to Philly and the Northeast Corridor/Acela service.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:52 AM

5,642 posts, read 6,114,297 times
I would also recommend Chicago first. Chicago can be expensive but if you are looking for under 1k for a studio is very doable if you shop in the above areas mentioned by Gladhands.

If you want to downsize the city that means limiting your public transit options, I would recommend St. Louis. The areas Universities, major employment centers, airport area all covered by LRT. I've found DT studios starting just under $600 but they are very limited in number. Also check out the area around St. Louis University, The Loop and Central West End. Tower Grove has many affordable option and is well covered with bus transit options with no rail yet.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:06 AM

6,324 posts, read 6,994,449 times
Chicago and Philly.

After that, there are cities that may work for you but it will depend on work circumstances and just how much inconvenience you are willing to take for a bit cheaper COL. But CHI and PHL will give you the most affordable carless living with no real huge tradeoff.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:17 AM

56,792 posts, read 81,149,048 times
In terms of Buffalo, you can find some rentals for around and under $1000 near the rail line, which goes by Medaille College, Canisius College and ends at the University of Buffalo's South Campus. Areas west of Main Street to about Richmond Avenue in the city, which includes the Buffalo State College would be an area to look into as well.

https://www.apartments.com/apartment...y11x1ouIx44l0V

Old 08-03-2017, 09:39 AM

21,228 posts, read 30,461,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Truth be told, anytime someone asks for cheap, transit oriented and amenities, and they don't specify warm weather, single-family homes or good public schools, the answer is always Chicago or Philadelphia.
Cheap has varying definitions and $1450 a month isn't "cheap" in most books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or