U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 05:58 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,804,979 times

Advertisements

Perusing through many threads I came across many people in the east who want to move west. I am curious as to the reasons why? Lots of posters seem to want a simple change in lifestyle while others love the climate (lower humidity) while still others cite social reasons (live and let live and more laid back attitudes in the west). If you currently live in the east and are contemplating moving west (including the intermountain west, southwest, and northwest) would you please share your reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 06:01 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,379,606 times
I have found through reading many posts that a majority think moving there (much like moving to my home state of FL) will change their lives from any negatives they're experiencing currently, and overall seems to be human nature to focus the furthest possible option versus something as simple as one or two states away.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:04 AM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have found through reading many posts that a majority think moving there (much like moving to my home state of FL) will change their lives from any negatives they're experiencing currently, and overall seems to be human nature to focus the furthest possible option versus something as simple as one or two states away.
Or even within the same state.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:58 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,804,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Good point!

Old 08-04-2017, 04:11 PM

14 posts, read 7,935 times
I was thinking of moving out west after college, mostly because of the scenery and to just be somewhere different (I grew up in NJ). I ended up moving to western PA, which was enough of the change I was looking for. I don't really feel the need to move too far away anymore, because I now realize I can get the change I want without having to move too far away.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:30 PM

1,069 posts, read 739,743 times
It's genetic.

America historically has been settled by ambitious and restless people, and these traits carry on today. American settlers and immigrants wanted "more" out of life and since now there are no oceans to cross for a perceived "better life", people cross the continent instead. And since the east coast is more settled and has an older history than the west, the migration patterns are westward instead of eastward.

p.s. whatever you do, don't move to San Diego. We are full. It's much more of a mirage than any kind of paradise. Too many people lose whatever nest eggs they have thinking this place is going to be awesome. It isn't.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:09 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,642,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Perusing through many threads I came across many people in the east who want to move west. I am curious as to the reasons why? Lots of posters seem to want a simple change in lifestyle while others love the climate (lower humidity) while still others cite social reasons (live and let live and more laid back attitudes in the west). If you currently live in the east and are contemplating moving west (including the intermountain west, southwest, and northwest) would you please share your reasons?
It seems to be a lot of less humidity. But in my humble or not so humble opinion, it's rather moot.

I have recently been spending quite a bit of time in Florida as my parents just moved there (Tampa area) and my brother is now planning to make the move as well. Arizona and Florida are almost the complete opposite ends of the country and I don't see much difference on a cultural level. Despite the United States spanning the width of an entire continent, coast to coast, I have noticed culturally there are few differences.

As you know Gools, Arizona is expected to be "live and let live" and generally libertarian with capitalist ideals. I'm sure there are many places out East that reflect this as well. Despite Arizona carrying this reputation, the more transplants that move here, the less "live and let live" it is. Truthfully people do not really want a change in culture, if they did they'd move out of the country.... the United States is the United States period, whether it's desert or forest.

The truth is if you have been raised in a city that does not have this supposed "live and let live" attitude it will not be suddenly given to you when you move to a city that does. You were raised with a specific set of ideals that influenced you from your family and the city you come from. If you are bugged that you see people in sweats doing errands in public and/or enforce very strict dress codes at work, you aren't "live and let live" (this is an attitude I've seen out East whereas here in AZ dress codes are practically moot given some exceptions).

People aren't comfortable with the idea of new places, new culture, etc. at a significant level (obviously there are still some "new" and different things otherwise why would you move?). Even in the case of a big move, people tend to look for areas that are familiar to them (suburbia vs. rural vs. urban, political ideals, big sports, airports, etc.) that really almost at the end of the day say "hey I want a city where I already live but with better weather and maybe a mountain or something".

Truthfully I don't think the West has better weather. The West's weather is so unpredictable you can dress for winter and summer in the same day (see Denver and Boise). Sometimes that difference can be upwards of 20 degrees between highs and lows. And the lack of humidity, especially in the Southwest, causes a ton of respiratory problems as seen in excessive pollution and incredibly high asthma rates in children who carry that asthma for the rest of their lives. In places that aren't so sunny or dry out here, like Seattle, there is higher rates of suicide and other ailments whereas places with a better balance like out East, these problems aren't so surface-level. The truth is our lungs need moist air to inhale, we have saliva in our mouth to help with this, but with a lack of saliva for some of you and this dry air can be a bit difficult.

At the end of the day you have to pick your battles. The West is still relatively "new" in comparison to the East. The West is still developing regional differences (like Phoenix vs. Seattle) that aren't so distinctly characterized like the North vs. Southeast. People see the West as "new" still even though people have been out here for 5000+ years and think that it is equivalent for a fresh start to them. Even though the West is not that populated, we can't afford it like the East can, because we do not have that infamous humidity needed to create rain, minus a couple parts.

So people will continue to move out here to San Diego, Boise, Denver and seek the fresh start they crave and was fed to by generations of the Manifest Destiny but the truth is they will not find it. And soon they will learn that a fresh start isn't force fed to you with new surroundings it's, inside of you. After being spoon-fed the journeys of people like Lewis and Clark in sophomore History class people still see the West as an adventure. But really the West is no different, especially now that it is relatively populated and it's been "explored".

Manifest Destiny is still in the minds of a lot of people, whether they can recognize that or not.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:12 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,143,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
If you currently live in the east and are contemplating moving west (including the intermountain west, southwest, and northwest) would you please share your reasons?
I'm not from the east, but I moved to the intermountain west or whatever you want to call it (it's definitely west). Totally disappointed. I see nothing special or inviting about this part of the US. It's way too dry, way to desolate, and too far from any of the coasts. Boring, rain-starved, bland landscape. The people are way too introverted and keep to themselves. Runaway cost of living too. Need I say more?

Can't wait to move away from this part of the US. There are many reasons why it was the last part of the country to be settled and developed, and why it will never catch up with the rest of the US.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:41 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,525,383 times
I am more from the Midwest than East (Louisville, KY) and moved to the Bay Area for my work in late 2015. I was excited for a change of scenery, but definitely miss home. Overall, at least in the Bay Area/Northern California, I hate it. The weather and scenery are decent, but nothing else is of interest as I once thought it would be.

I am moving back to Louisville in November/December this year and can't wait.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:15 PM

4,266 posts, read 6,349,676 times
The folks I know who moved West did so because of work -- the opportunities they found in tech, the entertainment business, law, or academia. And others moved because their significant other found work in one of those fields. I don't know anybody who thought about it and said, for example, "Hey, California sounds like fun! Let's move there!"

I think those days are long gone. Lots of research out there that Americans are just not mobile like they used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.