U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would you move across the country if your family did?
Yes 5 35.71%
No 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2017, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
4,552 posts, read 3,642,493 times
Reputation: 3625

Advertisements

Let's say you lived in one area your whole life, along with all of your close family members.

But then, someone in your family decides to move somewhere else in the US, a place that is rather drastically different from where you were born and raised. Soon, the rest of your close family begins to follow.

Would you go with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2017, 05:38 PM
 
Location: I is where I is
2,097 posts, read 1,525,383 times
Reputation: 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Let's say you lived in one area your whole life, along with all of your close family members.

But then, someone in your family decides to move somewhere else in the US, a place that is rather drastically different from where you were born and raised. Soon, the rest of your close family begins to follow.

Would you go with them?
My situation is flip flopped. My wife and I (mid-20's) were born and raised in So.Indiana/Louisville, and left in late 2015/Early 2016. Both of our families are primarily in the area we grew up in and left.

2 years later, I'm in the middle of getting a transfer for my work, to move back "home". My parents have visited often at our new place and wanted to move here but couldn't justify the pricing of the Bay Area (not many people can) and my wife's dad is moving to Arizona next month, which was his plan to be closer but also be where he wanted to be.

If it were the opposite situation, and my parents moved away to California, I don't think we would've followed, but the parents wanted to follow us, motherly love maybe? We are excited to move back though, we miss it dearly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
4,552 posts, read 3,642,493 times
Reputation: 3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
My situation is flip flopped. My wife and I (mid-20's) were born and raised in So.Indiana/Louisville, and left in late 2015/Early 2016. Both of our families are primarily in the area we grew up in and left.

2 years later, I'm in the middle of getting a transfer for my work, to move back "home". My parents have visited often at our new place and wanted to move here but couldn't justify the pricing of the Bay Area (not many people can) and my wife's dad is moving to Arizona next month, which was his plan to be closer but also be where he wanted to be.

If it were the opposite situation, and my parents moved away to California, I don't think we would've followed, but the parents wanted to follow us, motherly love maybe? We are excited to move back though, we miss it dearly
The majority of my family is looking at relocating to Tampa area now that my parents have relocated there. It's just sort of odd because if my younger family members all move to Tampa, which is what they are looking at doing, then sooner or later I will no longer have roots here in Phoenix. Like, I kind of would since I'm born and raised but... no family yet at the same time... it's a rather odd situation.

Personally I don't see myself living in Florida. I find Florida to be rather... far out on a social level. Weather was nice when I last visited in May. I will be leaving for Tampa again on Sunday and will be there for a week so maybe I will come back to this thread with another opinion on the Tampa area. The beach is nice but I can't reconcile myself living there.

I went to college in Tucson while my family was still in Phoenix. Despite being a mere 2 hours away, I missed out on a lot of family events like birthdays, etc. and even on certain big time family news like my aunt getting a divorce because of domestic violence (yes, big news!! and no one told me until 10 minutes before seeing her). They just didn't think of telling me about the big news. While I love my family, it sucks feeling left out of family events. The fact that even two hours is a big enough difference to miss out on this stuff, would eliminate Miami from my options (I'd consider Miami, but not Tampa for personal reasons).

While I have a love hate relationship with Arizona my big grounding factor to staying here is my family yet they are all looking at leaving so now it makes me wonder why would I even bother staying. Would I move with them to the Tampa region to still be with my family OR would I finally pick a new place? Or just end up staying?

Curious to what others say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 11:38 PM
 
226 posts, read 167,640 times
Reputation: 409
For me it would depend on my stage of life. I might follow my grown children (if they wanted it!) But as a young adult, I would not follow my parents or other older relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2017, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,316 posts, read 6,970,829 times
Reputation: 3503
It's hard for me to imagine being you cause I'm not you and I have a pretty different background. But if you are asking me to think in your shoes but use my personal circumstances, then I would absolutely consider it and most probably do it. If you're asking me to go to a place that I hate (albeit somewhat rare for me to hate a place) then that's different, but just a place that is "drastically different" from where I am now...sure!! In some strange, small way, I yearn for close family that I would want to follow into some new adventure somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2017, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,768 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Reputation: 63432
Not only no, but hell no.

But then, I'm 55 years old and from a military family. The idea of family living close to each other seems nice in theory but I've certainly managed to live nearly my whole life quite happily without much family around. I'm just not very "dependent" considering I spent so much time as a "dependent."

That being said, my oldest daughter and her husband have both been very adamant that they would like for me to live near them if I end up elderly and single and needing a bit of help. So in that case, yes, if they didn't mind, I'd probably move wherever they were living when I began to need help or be lonely. Since he's military, that could be anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2017, 03:52 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,080 posts, read 35,035,900 times
Reputation: 15246
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not only no, but hell no.

But then, I'm 55 years old and from a military family. The idea of family living close to each other seems nice in theory but I've certainly managed to live nearly my whole life quite happily without much family around. I'm just not very "dependent" considering I spent so much time as a "dependent."

That being said, my oldest daughter and her husband have both been very adamant that they would like for me to live near them if I end up elderly and single and needing a bit of help. So in that case, yes, if they didn't mind, I'd probably move wherever they were living when I began to need help or be lonely. Since he's military, that could be anywhere.
LOL I'm with you. If you want family around, that's what Delta is for. None of my siblings live within 2 hrs of each other. One lives in Fort Lauderdale, one in Lake Wales, FL, and the other in Hilton Head Island.
I do have one daughter that is local on St. Simons (she bought my old house), but I'm only there part-time. The others live in London and San Jose, CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top