U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 11:52 PM

36 posts, read 14,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Humid subtropical/tropical climate provide even more pronounced benefits to the health. The people of Okinawa in Japan, some of the longest lived on the planet, can attest to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa_Island
True but there are so many places on Earth with subtropical/ tropical climates where people do not live long at all. Can we generalize?
On the other hand, it has to be something going on in Okinawa and climate may be one of the factors, I am not denying.
You made me wonder if the place of birth/ genetics is not a huge factor in preferring one climate over another. What works for some might not work for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well see now you are narrowing the scope of discussion to "La Jolla and similar areas". The truth of the matter is that the worst air quality cities in the country are almost all in California. Some areas are better than others but I would say no, living in the West does not categorically have a positive influence on health due to the climate or air quality; in fact, the reverse is true in many areas. Oh, and for the past few days the forecast in Seattle on my weather app has been "smoke". No joke. It's due to smoke from wildfires in Canada blanketing the state. Wildfires are almost exclusively a western phenomenon. I've been having respiratory issues and nosebleeds because of it. Lord knows what kind of havoc it's wreaking on my lungs.
Polution and smoke are obvious bad for health, but have nothing to do with what I am talking about. There is something else, even beyond the dryness, that is different on the Weast Coast.
As I keep saying, a sunny dry day in Miami during winter does not give me the same energy compaired to a sunny dry day on the West Coast, polution aside.
On a different note, I am really sorry about the smoke problem that is affecting you and most likely everyone in the area. I will seriously consider the smoke/ polution issue when choosing a place to live.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:47 AM

7,820 posts, read 12,326,456 times
I would be very depressed by the grey skies and rain if I moved to Seattle or Portland. I didn't find the Los Angeles area to be that "sunny" since the haze was constantly there. Areas like San Bernardino and Palm Springs to get constant bright sunshine.

I always had to wear sunglasses when I was in Southern California though because the sun is very "glaring" with the desert landscape or the concrete architecture and especially with the concrete vs blacktop freeways that seem to be preferred there. I live in Baton Rouge which is about the same lattitude but here the sun doesn't create as big a glare since we have blacktop roads plus lots of trees and grass.

People talk about dry vs humid heat and the West, but to be totally honest I prefer a Baton Rouge summer over a Las Vegas summer. In Las Vegas it feels very hot even at night, while it often does cool down here in Louisiana in the evening especially after a summer thunderstorm. Its quite comfortable going for a nighttime walk here in many summer nights after dark. ONe thing I do like about the Southwest is less mosquitoes. The Southwest also has less allergies for people affected by them.

I wonder if living in California puts you at higher risk of Third World diseases brought by illegal immigrants. I suspect so.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I would be very depressed by the grey skies and rain if I moved to Seattle or Portland. I didn't find the Los Angeles area to be that "sunny" since the haze was constantly there. Areas like San Bernardino and Palm Springs to get constant bright sunshine.

I always had to wear sunglasses when I was in Southern California though because the sun is very "glaring" with the desert landscape or the concrete architecture and especially with the concrete vs blacktop freeways that seem to be preferred there. I live in Baton Rouge which is about the same lattitude but here the sun doesn't create as big a glare since we have blacktop roads plus lots of trees and grass.

Higher latitudes have a different kind of sunlight as far as the glaring effect goes. I always say the sun is friendlier in the north during summers.

People talk about dry vs humid heat and the West, but to be totally honest I prefer a Baton Rouge summer over a Las Vegas summer. In Las Vegas it feels very hot even at night, while it often does cool down here in Louisiana in the evening especially after a summer thunderstorm. Its quite comfortable going for a nighttime walk here in many summer nights after dark. ONe thing I do like about the Southwest is less mosquitoes. The Southwest also has less allergies for people affected by them.

Too hot and dry can definitely be as bad or worse than too humid. Have you noticed a difference in energy levels when being in the Southwest compaired to Baton Rouge?

I wonder if living in California puts you at higher risk of Third World diseases brought by illegal immigrants. I suspect so.
More likely yes but I believe it all comes down with how well you take care of your body. For someone with a healthy lifestyle and good imunity, it shouldn't be a problem. A more sensitive person would have problems from a simple flu virus, so the risk is greater I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or