Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 01:57 AM

63 posts, read 45,570 times

Advertisements

I recently visited Los Angeles, and while I consider myself more of a "mid-sized city" person, I was a bit taken with the strong sense of artistic community in the place. It seems like everyone on my trip was doing cool/unique things or aspiring to do so; like there is a "common struggle" or "common goal" towards this end and a strong sense of support towards these aspirations -- whether the final goal be working in the arts, as a freelancer, etc.

I'm wondering if there are some more mid-sized places that offer a similar sense of artistic community in this respect. A large part of my concern with the "mid-sized" stipulation is minimizing driving (e.g., either short driving distances or strong public transport).

I appreciate any insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 05:54 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Check out places like Kansas City or St Petersburg which have vibrant arts communities and a lack of geography in terms of driving "all over the place".

Crossroads Arts District – Kansas City's Creative Neighborhood

https://www.discoverdowntown.com/def...ntralarts.aspx

Old 06-06-2017, 06:31 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Perhaps this district would work for you: https://rocwiki.org/Neighborhood_of_the_Arts

Old 06-07-2017, 06:39 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwellerofCities View Post
I recently visited Los Angeles, and while I consider myself more of a "mid-sized city" person, I was a bit taken with the strong sense of artistic community in the place. It seems like everyone on my trip was doing cool/unique things or aspiring to do so; like there is a "common struggle" or "common goal" towards this end and a strong sense of support towards these aspirations -- whether the final goal be working in the arts, as a freelancer, etc.

I'm wondering if there are some more mid-sized places that offer a similar sense of artistic community in this respect. A large part of my concern with the "mid-sized" stipulation is minimizing driving (e.g., either short driving distances or strong public transport).

I appreciate any insights!
Actually it's a bit counterintuitive, but your smaller cities are going to be the best for this because the artists have to band together and because they are still small enough to carve out your own niche. After that cities that are close to major art centers where people go to work on their craft while enjoying a lower cost of living are next.

Mid-sized cities, while they can be great for the arts, tend to lack the strong sense of artistic community because cities that size are almost always transitioning (i.e. growing, shrinking, or changing from an old way to a new mode of being).

Old 06-07-2017, 08:29 AM

944 posts, read 1,209,463 times
I would second St. Petersburg. You can also find something along these lines in most larger college towns.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:20 AM

OP, you may a small "city" like this: Beacon Arts | Where Art, Culture, and the Hudson River meet.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2009/03/2...?_r=0&referer=

It also has rail service into NYC. Actually, the Hudson Valley area of NY has some other small towns/cities with art scenes as well. https://m.chronogram.com/hudsonvalle...nt?oid=2378729

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/08/0...oklynites.html

https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/w...moving-upstate

Welcome to Art Country: 6 Breathtaking Hudson Valley Art Destinations You Never Knew Existed | Art for Sale | Artspace

Poughkeepsie's Burgeoning Arts Scene - Hudson Valley News Network
Cheaper rents in Poughkeepsie may entice artists

New Paltz, Rhinebeck and Saugerties are some others in that area with an arts scene.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:12 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Detroit? I know it might sound a bit off, but there's definitely a strong community spirit there and the part of the city that's being revitalized (and expanding outwards) is a pretty tight and walkable area. The main strip is Woodward and that's just launched a streetcar recently.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:28 PM

944 posts, read 1,209,463 times
IIRC, the OP is from Detroit and lives in Michigan currently and is looking to relocate from the area for job reasons.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:31 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Nashville maybe. They're known for their art and murals, and they have them everywhere. I think there is some housing specifically for artistic types.

When I visited, we got to talking with a guy who was painting a mural in the Gulch neighborhood and he said people actually come from all over the world to paint in Nashville in hopes to get recognized, or to show off their skills, or something like that.

I would give the city a look. I wouldn't call it "mid-sized", but it's not huge. Metro still hasn't hit 2 million yet.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:41 PM

I remember that the OP also wanted to stay within a certain distance of Detroit. In that case, perhaps look into say Cincinnati, Columbus, Buffalo, Rochester and even Grand Rapids, if this is still the case. There may be others depending upon what is viewed as being mid sized by the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.