U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 04:12 AM

349 posts, read 213,196 times

Advertisements

I am currently in Florida and find the low wages and constant humidity and increasing traffic/crime troubling, to say the least. I understand no place is perfect of course, but, would like to find the following (just like everyone else)

change of seasons (mild though) (no/low chance of tornadoes)
low crime
racial/religious diversity
affordable housing
good job opportunities
lots of choices for different churches
natural scenery
mid size city

Thank you.

Last edited by JMT; 08-05-2017 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Recommending competitors to city-data is not allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 06:36 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
I too live in Florida and get your desire to leave as I have been researching similar criteria (mild four season climate, lower crime, affordability, greenery/trees, decent economy, mid-sized city) and would recommend via my findings Columbia SC and Greensboro NC. Bear in mind that crime rates are misleading since they calculate via zip code which is misleading due to the nature of compartmentalized issues versus widespread. If you have any specific questions regarding either city feel free to direct message me as I have been at it for awhile figuring out where next..

Old 08-05-2017, 07:48 AM

56,525 posts, read 80,824,285 times
A sleeper may be the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area of PA. Not necessarily sure about the economy and I'm not sure if it is mild enough for you, but just about everything else fits.

Roanoke VA may be another area to look into, but it may not be big enough.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:35 PM

349 posts, read 213,196 times
Thank you for your comments.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:48 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,522,521 times
There are many places that I feel could work, some have more of season changes than others, but overall fit the description somewhat. Natural scenery can definitely mean different things to different people, so there's that... The cities below are large cities, but plenty of suburbs & towns around the general area that could work.

Pittsburgh, PA area
Raleigh, NC area
Greenville, SC area
Louisville, KY area

Old 08-05-2017, 08:51 PM

23,554 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Raleigh is fairly flat. I'd add Knoxville and Chattanooga TN

Old 08-05-2017, 08:55 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,522,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Raleigh is fairly flat. I'd add Knoxville and Chattanooga TN
Chattanooga is a good one! Knoxville being close to Gatlinburg is a plus. But Chattanooga is a great place!

Old 08-05-2017, 11:40 PM

3,784 posts, read 2,999,426 times
Albuquerque, NM
It's what I would call a mid sized city. Enough to do, but not overwhelming.
ABQ has in my mind some of the best weather in the US. You'll be getting out of the humidity there, that's for certain. Plus, while it has 4 seasons, they are generally quite mild. It is green enough that there is some fall color change, spring blooms, etc. The coolest months are still somewhat sunny and have temps in upper 40s, low 50s during day, some, but minimal snow. During the summer it can get into the high 80s and even 90s during the day, but it is dry heat so not as bad as many places, plus you are at 5,000 ft. and it cools down to a comfortable in mornings/evenings then still. It has crime, just as many places I'm sure do, but many places to feel very safe also as long as you take reasonable precaution. I believe it is quite reasonably diverse, and also is in the west so is likely to be more diverse and "live and let live" about religion and other things. The ABQ median housing cost is lower than many places in Florida, somewhat around the national average. It is a mid size city with a number of unique offerings, and of course, being in the west, it has an absolutely stunning natural landscape. Good luck!

Last edited by cavsfan137; 08-05-2017 at 11:54 PM..

Old 08-06-2017, 07:02 AM

274 posts, read 235,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
I am currently in Florida and find the low wages and constant humidity and increasing traffic/crime troubling, to say the least. I understand no place is perfect of course, but, would like to find the following (just like everyone else)

change of seasons (mild though) (no/low chance of tornadoes)
low crime
racial/religious diversity
affordable housing
good job opportunities
lots of choices for different churches
natural scenery
mid size city

Thank you.
Chattanooga TN
Huntsville AL
Winston-Salem NC

Old 08-06-2017, 07:08 AM
BMI

7,262 posts, read 4,492,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Albuquerque, NM
It's what I would call a mid sized city. Enough to do, but not overwhelming.
ABQ has in my mind some of the best weather in the US. You'll be getting out of the humidity there, that's for certain. Plus, while it has 4 seasons, they are generally quite mild. It is green enough that there is some fall color change, spring blooms, etc. The coolest months are still somewhat sunny and have temps in upper 40s, low 50s during day, some, but minimal snow. During the summer it can get into the high 80s and even 90s during the day, but it is dry heat so not as bad as many places, plus you are at 5,000 ft. and it cools down to a comfortable in mornings/evenings then still. It has crime, just as many places I'm sure do, but many places to feel very safe also as long as you take reasonable precaution. I believe it is quite reasonably diverse, and also is in the west so is likely to be more diverse and "live and let live" about religion and other things. The ABQ median housing cost is lower than many places in Florida, somewhat around the national average. It is a mid size city with a number of unique offerings, and of course, being in the west, it has an absolutely stunning natural landscape. Good luck!
Beat me to it.

Albuquerque checks all your boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or