U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 06:08 PM

6,801 posts, read 11,788,872 times

Advertisements

Southern California definitely has one of the largest and was one of the fastest growing in the 80s to early 00s. Nowadays everyone seems to leaving California including the Chinese. Last time i checked in to the DFW area, i counted a couple California plates in almost every Chinese shopping center that I've visited. I don't think the DFW area has always had a large Chinese community which probably means it's rapidly growing by taking in a lot of those fleeing California.

Are there any other metro areas with rapidly growing Chinese communities, particularly outside of California and Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 06:52 PM

1,571 posts, read 751,845 times
Metro Atlanta is seeing substantial growth among all the major Asian nationalities including Chinese, particularly in the suburbs like Johns Creek and Duluth north and northeast of the city. Some are coming directly to the area from abroad and others from traditional immigrant hubs like California or New York, or from university towns after earning their degrees.

Also in this part of the country, I would expect the Raleigh-Durham area stands out for Chinese ethnic growth in percentage terms.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:07 PM

2,971 posts, read 4,350,657 times
Plano, TX has a growing Chinese community and lots of great Chinese food options.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:46 PM
FBF

572 posts, read 693,638 times
Sadly, more mainland Chinese are moving here in iowa.....i dislike their way of etiquette they bring here though. Especially when they think you are Chinese or Asian and they start staring and following you in stores: "JUST BECAuse I have black hair, live in the suburbs, and I am average height does not mean I am Asian."

By the way, I am Latino.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:16 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,683,576 times
Seattle's Chinese population has been jumping, or that's my impression. Four of the largest factors:
1. We recently went from zero direct flights to four iirc, including Hong Kong, Shanghai, and two Beijings.
2. The UW has dramatically increased its foreign enrollment, in part to fund more in-state enrollment.
3. We're more on the radar as a home-buying location, in part because of Vancouver's new tax. (Though our rising prices have reduced the trend somewhat)
4. Much of the tech industry growth has moved to Seattle while (so I've heard) leveling off in San Francisco.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:17 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,683,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
Sadly, more mainland Chinese are moving here in iowa.....i dislike their way of etiquette they bring here though. Especially when they think you are Chinese or Asian and they start staring and following you in stores: "JUST BECAuse I have black hair, live in the suburbs, and I am average height does not mean I am Asian."

By the way, I am Latino.
I hope they don't generalize about entire enthnicities!

Old 08-06-2017, 04:29 PM

3,235 posts, read 1,565,563 times
If Chinatowns as some major cities have is in the criteria here? Even if not the largest. CHICAGO'S would fit the bill as one that IS GROWING vs SF's or NYC‘s as the more famous ones.

Here's why Chicago's Chinatown is booming, even as others across the U.S. fade - Chicago Tribune

What the link says:
- At a time when traditional urban Chinatowns in Manhattan, San Francisco, Boston and Philadelphia are fading due to gentrification and changing cultural landscapes, Chicago's Chinatown is growing larger — becoming what experts say could be a model for Chinatown survival in the U.S. In Chicago, where several neighborhoods are no longer defined by the immigrant or ethnic groups that once occupied them, Chinatown is an exception, having anchored the area centered around Cermak Road and Wentworth Avenue since 1912.

5 Biggest Chinatowns in the United States and Canada - WiseToast

#1 San Francisco
#2 NYC
#3 Chicago

Link for Chicago says:
- With a population of around 70,000 (2010 census) this is one of the fastest growing Chinese communities in the US today.
You will see a big, red “Welcome” gate when you visit this neighborhood. The Chinese American Museum of Chicago is a must visit.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:18 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,897,970 times
City of Industry and unincorporated Rowland Heights in California seems to have a growing Chinese community, like other parts of the San Gabriel Valley

Old 08-06-2017, 06:44 PM
FBF

572 posts, read 693,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I hope they don't generalize about entire enthnicities!
The ones straight from the Mainland: yes.

Staring is not considered rude over there, from what I am told. But it is rude here in the US.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:21 PM

1,069 posts, read 742,879 times
There's an ant hill behind my house that seems to be growing pretty quick o.0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or