U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful natural setting?
Mexico City (DF) 3 3.61%
San Jose (Costa Rica) 0 0%
San Juan (PR) 3 3.61%
Seattle (WA) 26 31.33%
Vancouver (BC) 34 40.96%
Other 17 20.48%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 01:22 AM

18,134 posts, read 23,028,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Thanks for your thoughts all. Looks like Vancouver is dominating at least in popular opinion. I didn't include SF because, while it is all subjective of course, when Seattle and SF were matched up on this category earlier, Seattle won in a landslide. I found it unlikely that this time would be any different, however, I was curious what people would think between Seattle and Vancouver, and already have an answer (which makes sense, while Seattle is great, it is further removed from outstanding mountain scenery than Vancouver, and Vancouver has done a much better job (IMO) of incorporating park spaces and natural setting into it's presence (again largely because it's much close). Definitely deserving of most beautiful major city in N.A..

I included Mexico City because it seems to have the tallest peaks surrounding it of any of these (for example, Popocatepetl at 17,802, also a relatively active volcano of late, is within 60 miles). It also has desert-ish scenery, unique geology and biodiversity within the area. I included San Juan because it seemed like the most major city in the Caribbean (that also had it's stuff to some degree together) to also have a beautiful natural setting (coastline, incredibly biodiversity and rainforest, 4K peaks) within way less than 60 miles. I included San Jose because within 60 miles I believe it has tall peaks, rainforest, volcanos (I also think at least one active one) and can reach both the Pacific and Caribbean in around that many miles (at least by the way the bird travels). I think San Jose, if more knew about it, wouldn't necessarily be better than Vancouver, but would likely be it's stiffest competition overall in N.A.

I see two mentions of Charleston! Not saying you're wrong, but just curious, in your mind, what about it's setting is so outstanding that it beats out so many other areas on the Eastern Seaboard?
What San Jose are you talking about? Not San Jose, California, apparently? Tall peaks, rainforest, active volcanoes?

I have lived in Seattle, also in Bellingham just across the border, basically, from Vancouver, BC, and I voted for Vancouver, BC. It's just gorgeous from every view point. Waaaay back in the 1980's, I used to go roller skating around Stanley Park. Last time I was there was around 2006. Even the airport is amazing - glass walkways where you can see snow capped mountains. Just a beautiful city.

I've been to Mexico City, but it was in the 1970's, and although it had a lot of beautiful attractions, statues, museums, etc., it was so polluted, there was no view to be seen. That may have changed, I don't know. I was in Guadalajara area for about a year in 2000 and it was really polluted, too, wrecking any views. So, if you can't see the views for pollution, it doesn't get my vote.

Never been to San Juan, nor apparently your San Jose? I live in San Jose, CA now, so I'm thinking you're not referring to my current city. I like it here, but it's not in the running with Seattle or Vancouver :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 01:33 AM

3,790 posts, read 3,015,420 times
Nope, San Jose, CR, their capital city. And I haven't been, and the immediate setting doesn't look especially great, but Costa Rica's reputation as a place of outstanding beauty has become cemented, and since it isn't such a big country, you could have relatively easy access to many outstanding places not far from the capital I would imagine.

Fair enough on Mexico City. I think the Mexico City is stronger based on it's surroundings, but I get that pollution can almost make further reaching places seem impossible to get to.

Vancouver seems to be the consensus. Thank you for your thoughts!!

Old 08-06-2017, 02:05 AM

18,134 posts, read 23,028,696 times
Quote:
Nope, San Jose, CR, their capital city. And I haven't been, and the immediate setting doesn't look especially great, but Costa Rica's reputation as a place of outstanding beauty has become cemented, and since it isn't such a big country, you could have relatively easy access to many outstanding places not far from the capital I would imagine.

Fair enough on Mexico City. I think the Mexico City is stronger based on it's surroundings, but I get that pollution can almost make further reaching places seem impossible to get to.

Vancouver seems to be the consensus. Thank you for your thoughts!!
Oh, I'm a total dork. I didn't see where you'd put "Costa Rica" in the poll. Doh.

One of the bummers about Seattle, is that Mount Ranier is so often covered with clouds. When I lived there, I'd forget to look for it. Then on some nice clear day, I'd happen to see it and realize it had been visible most of the day and I'd just stopped looking for it, because I rarely saw it.

It seems like you could see snow covered peaks more often from Vancouver. Perhaps the snow is at a lower elevation? Never really thought about it. It seems like Vancouver would be socked in as often as Seattle, but my memory tells me the skies were clear more often in Vancouver, too. Could be wrong, but that's my memory.

The water and islands are beautiful from both Seattle and Vancouver, though. And taking the ferries is wonderful. I used to take my daughter on a round-trip day trip on a ferry through the San Juan islands. They're actually pretty cheap if you don't take a car and just ride one round-trip.

Of course, though waterfronts are not like beaches somewhere tropical, though, like your more tropical options would have.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:49 AM

I think Vancouver's placement is both blessing and curse comparatively. I certainly agree that Vancouver doesn't necessarily have the tropical feel with beaches, but at the same time, I think the winter landscape and changing seasons you mention plus snow capped peaks, really adds an outstanding layer more southern places just don't offer from a beauty standpoint. I can imagine. It's a gorgeous area. Vancouver is really outstandingly dynamic in terms of (IMO) climate, scenery, urbanity (Top 5 Downtown in N.A. Perhaps), safety, diversity, etc... there's a reason that one publication was naming it the most livable city on earth for a few years running there, and it's quite consistently rated tops for that in N.A. (almost a universal consensus among those publications). Only major drawbacks for me are how outrageously expensive it is, and that it isn't in America.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:32 AM

12,633 posts, read 15,090,457 times
Of the choices, Vancouver.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:01 AM

Seems like all the commenters are going Vancouver's way as well. Curious to the decent number of people voting for Seattle over that and the others, what is the case for it having a more beautiful setting than Vancouver?

Old 08-06-2017, 04:17 PM
BMI

7,266 posts, read 4,519,143 times
Quote:
Seems like all the commenters are going Vancouver's way as well. Curious to the decent number of people voting for Seattle over that and the others, what is the case for it having a more beautiful setting than Vancouver?
My guess would be Mount Rainier...at over 14,000 ft it is gigantic and on clear days
looms large in the distance over Seattle.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:27 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,683,576 times
I'm another Seattle resident who voted for Vancouver.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:07 PM

1,069 posts, read 742,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
However besides the summertime, Vancouver is miserable, as are Seattle and Portland.
This, a thousand times this. How can anyone in their right mind not consider sunshine/cloud cover as part of their analysis?

Newsflash: clouds uglify a place, no matter how gorgeous it is on a sunny day. When you've got clouds more often than not, it's going to undermine the natural scenery. Like it or not, it's a fact of life.

Why do so many people in Seattle commit suicide during the winter? Hint: it's not because it's soooo gorgeous there. Lolzlolozlolzolol.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:05 PM

11,290 posts, read 7,885,503 times
North American cities shouldn't include Mexican, Costa Rican or Puerto Rican cities! Sure they are not in South America but they are in Central or the Carribean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or