U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful natural setting?
Mexico City (DF) 3 3.61%
San Jose (Costa Rica) 0 0%
San Juan (PR) 3 3.61%
Seattle (WA) 26 31.33%
Vancouver (BC) 34 40.96%
Other 17 20.48%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2017, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,569 posts, read 3,713,342 times
Reputation: 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
This, a thousand times this. How can anyone in their right mind not consider sunshine/cloud cover as part of their analysis?

Newsflash: clouds uglify a place, no matter how gorgeous it is on a sunny day. When you've got clouds more often than not, it's going to undermine the natural scenery. Like it or not, it's a fact of life.

Why do so many people in Seattle commit suicide during the winter? Hint: it's not because it's soooo gorgeous there. Lolzlolozlolzolol.
That is a bit harsh. Many in the Pacific Northwest are not bothered by the cloudiness in the winter. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Cloudy days can be beautiful with a different eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2017, 09:04 PM
 
2,551 posts, read 1,645,278 times
Reputation: 2034
Why no San Francisco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2017, 09:11 PM
 
4,491 posts, read 2,680,536 times
Reputation: 4104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
This, a thousand times this. How can anyone in their right mind not consider sunshine/cloud cover as part of their analysis?

Newsflash: clouds uglify a place, no matter how gorgeous it is on a sunny day. When you've got clouds more often than not, it's going to undermine the natural scenery. Like it or not, it's a fact of life.

Why do so many people in Seattle commit suicide during the winter? Hint: it's not because it's soooo gorgeous there. Lolzlolozlolzolol.
Why are these areas growing so quickly? Turns out many people actually like our weather! It's a positive for some, and at least not a negative for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 04:59 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,522 posts, read 7,475,821 times
Reputation: 10928
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
North American cities shouldn't include Mexican, Costa Rican or Puerto Rican cities! Sure they are not in South America but they are in Central or the Carribean
Puerto Rico is not only part of North America, it's also part of the USA. Mexico is part of North America by any definition. I agree about Costa Rica, Central America and its North America credentials are weaker. All that being said I go with a tie between Seattle and Vancouver. Of the major cities they do have the nicest scenery IMO. If we include smaller metros then the competition gets tougher. Honolulu would likely win if we include smaller metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 08:49 AM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
11,290 posts, read 7,884,418 times
Reputation: 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Puerto Rico is not only part of North America, it's also part of the USA. Mexico is part of North America by any definition. I agree about Costa Rica, Central America and its North America credentials are weaker. All that being said I go with a tie between Seattle and Vancouver. Of the major cities they do have the nicest scenery IMO. If we include smaller metros then the competition gets tougher. Honolulu would likely win if we include smaller metros.
I knew that about PR but lets like saying Guam or the Virgin Islands are North America. Mexico is typically grouped in central America and Latin America for cultural and historical reasons.
The north Americans are considered to be Americans and Canadians. I understand that there is a geographic and cultural definition but Mexico does not belong in N. America IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 09:54 AM
BMI
 
Location: Ontario
7,265 posts, read 4,516,669 times
Reputation: 5631
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
I knew that about PR but lets like saying Guam or the Virgin Islands are North America. Mexico is typically grouped in central America and Latin America for cultural and historical reasons.
The north Americans are considered to be Americans and Canadians. I understand that there is a geographic and cultural definition but Mexico does not belong in N. America IMO.
Vancouver is tops but for an inland "desert" setting, Las Cruces, New Mexico tops the list,
those spikey Organ Mtns, just east of Cruces are amazing, wouldn't you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
5,616 posts, read 3,950,074 times
Reputation: 7917
I chose "other".


Why? Because I think Phoenix's natural environment is not only the most unique in the USA, but arguably the most beautiful. From purple mountains at dusk, to the raging sunsets, to the Saguaro-cacti studded mountains, I'm in Heaven here.


http://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview...8eeb22ed26.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 10:20 AM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,452 posts, read 1,285,072 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
North American cities shouldn't include Mexican, Costa Rican or Puerto Rican cities! Sure they are not in South America but they are in Central or the Carribean
Central America and the Caribbean are part of North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 11:20 AM
 
3,068 posts, read 1,813,351 times
Reputation: 1158
San Jose, CR is ugly and shouldn't put there. Costa Rica is pretty on the other hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
Reputation: 7314
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
North American cities shouldn't include Mexican, Costa Rican or Puerto Rican cities! Sure they are not in South America but they are in Central or the Carribean
You shouldn't have skipped geography class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top