U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 11:48 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times

Advertisements

Lots of reasons

1) were broke and won't touch retirement.
2) we own a house to sell, and the market is stable, but slow. Our house was on the market for three months before we made our offer. We'd get about what we paid.
3) we have some debt to deal with in terms of home improvements, but we should get it out when we sell.just not so much now.
4)we have our elderly fathers here, one 89 and not in good health, and one 83 and in ok health, but we feel it is our obligation to look after them. They are all we have left and want to be here to both enjoy and look after them. Though sometimes it can be a pain.
5) not. Sure we'd not jump from frying pan into fire in a strange city.
6) Don't know for sure we'd have a job waiting for us as one poster said they usually hire local first unless you have a specific skill they can't get local, and we are not that.
We have a retirement city picked out, but expect to retire there, not work there. We are looking at properties there and hope to buy soon and rent out till we can move there.
7) don't want a higher col place as that would negate any benefit of higher wages. We have stable col here.

So for now anyway we stay put.

That answer your question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 06:20 AM

4,839 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Not a thing. I am moving to Denver for a new job.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:24 AM

4,839 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I've been unemployed for five months now and have spent about three of those months looking all over the country for jobs in my field. I have applied to close to 200 jobs nationwide, which resulted in 13 phone interviews with different companies throughout the country and not a single one invited me to interview in person. On the other hand, I was also looking in-state (CT) and sure enough, I landed an in person interview here.

The bottom line is that 95% of the time, employers ONLY care about local candidates. I live in the Hartford, CT area and have since limited my job search to New England only, but even that's pushing it for most employers. For example, employers in the Boston area (which is only a 2 hour drive from me) don't seem to be interested in hiring someone from CT! Why would they bother when they probably have plenty of local candidates in such a large metro area???

So yes, it's frustrating. I am looking locally, but it's very limited so sometimes I have to expand my search in order to submit more applications. I mean, I would LIKE to find a good job locally, but because opportunities are limited here in the Hartford area, I can't help but apply to jobs in other places. But at least by looking in my area of the country (New England), if I DO get a job in say, Massachusetts or New Hampshire, the move wouldn't be such a huge costly deal.

I thought about the idea of relocating with no job lined up, but I really don't like the idea. I would have to spend probably $3,000 to make the move and have all my stuff shipped (I don't wanna sell my stuff), then it would be a challenge to secure an apartment with no income. I would have to pay the entire lease term up front or something. Fortunately, I have the money to do so, but I really don't want to blow a quarter of my savings on that. And worst of all, who's to say that I will definitely secure suitable employment after moving? I just don't think it's a good idea to put all my eggs in one basket by going through the hassle of moving to a specific destination, only to possibly remain unemployed. The sad part too, is that employers will then worry and ask me, "do you plan to STAY in this area?" SMH!!!!
Yep, especially for positions like mine. The only way I got my two OOS roles is because of connections. Yeah, I've gotten interviews OOS, and the recruiter makes it seem like it's feasible, but have been ignored for follow up steps.

I'm in sales, and I'm pretty good at it, but there are literally thousands of candidates with my profile in a hot market like LA or Seattle.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:38 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,819,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have less than a quarter tank of gas and next payday is a little over a week away.

I suppose I could hop a train.
Just make sure you invest in a scanner to listen for train movement and the RR police!!!

Old 08-11-2017, 06:01 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,198,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
The interesting fact to me is there were broke people in the 70's and early 80's too with no money to do it and they found a way to move for opportunities! The economy stunk then too. Jimmy Carter. Stagflation. 16% interest rates. Gas shortages and rationing at the pump. Recessions. People still moved.
The difference between then and now was that there were absolutely no job openings up north, unemployment was over 10%, whole industries were shutting down (steel, auto, etc), the cities were decaying, and there was no sense of hope. Yet, in Texas, Oklahoma, and other oil-patch states they were still booming until 1982, when the rest of the country was falling apart under Carter/Reagan (yes Reagan - look it up). There were vendors selling copies of the Houston Chronicle in Detroit, Buffalo, etc - with literally hundreds of pages of "help wanted" ads. I remember a particular ad that said "T-LSA - all that's missing is yoU!."

I never say a "hep wanted" sign on a business in my life until I was in Texas in my 20s, so this was a huge incentive to many of us that there were still opportunities somewhere. No one really wanted to leave, but most felt there was no choice.

Drove down to Houston from up north in a 10 year old car, bad suspension, no a/c, and no job but I did have a new college degree. Shared a 1-bedroom apartment in the "Gulfton Ghetto" with 3 others from my home town including a child for a few weeks. By then the oil bust happened, jobs began to dry up, and I returned up north with no money, no job, and bald tires on my car. I did eventually get a call back a few weeks later, and I had to borrow enough money to make the drive back down.

Had I not been in my early 20s with no children, a drivable vehicle (barely), no other job prospects, and with friends already in Houston, there is no way I could have ever made the move. I also work in an in-demand specialized professional position, which is not an option for most people.

By the way, all of the friends there except one (he eventually became a manager at a Target store - imagine moving 1500 miles for that!) moved back within a year due to low wages and lack of a family support system. My car lasted exactly 1 week after I got to Houston. Within a month (after first paycheck) I was able to find an apartment, and go into debt by having to finance a new (used) auto. The only way I was able to get the loan and apartment was by producing a copy of my diploma.

While we (friends and me) were still all together and working, we considered ourselves lucky to have jobs, but we were living in dangerous hovels. We all felt that if we were back home working and making the money we were making in Houston we could "live like kings." But, the expenses and general experience of the first couple of years were miserable, but exciting for a 20-something.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:40 AM

788 posts, read 1,050,612 times
A lot of people don't move because their families are rooted in the community they live in.

They don't want to pull the kids out of school and away from their friends or they have other family obligations in the area.

Or they like where they live and don't want to move.

Or they have money issues and moving doesn't make sense.

There are plenty of reasonable reasons why people don't move, even if they'd have more financial opportunities elsewhere.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:26 PM

18,836 posts, read 7,324,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I agree that my unstable work history is the sole/primary reason, especially since I'm having trouble even landing an interview locally. Sadly, I will probably have to resort to temping, which means I'll probably be temping for the rest of my life. I just don't see how temping is ever going to result in permanent employment ever again.
Temping will likely open a door or two for you, closed now due to the unstable work history. You temp, you do a GREAT, not just ok or good, job, and when up the road an opening exists at that company, they seriously consider you.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:33 AM

602 posts, read 326,143 times
1) Grad School - I have 6 credits left to complete until graduation. I've been ready to finish it since fall 2016 but work got in the way.

Fall 2016 semester: My boss told me to get to change my schedule for nightwork in August prior to the semester. I complied. Fast forward the project did not start until December towards the end of the semester for a variety of reasons. Missed opportunity.

Spring 2017 semester: I started school and working at night. Not a big deal at first. Then my boss switched my schedule to day and night (6hrs work at night and 2 hrs during the day). Still had to cover meetings during the daytime and wasn't getting help from my supervisors on that project. Ended up not being able to burn the candle at both ends and was coming late to class and don't being able to do homework and other assignments. Ended up leaving school again. I was very upset since I started the semester and like the classes I was taking (One class I've been waiting to take for 2 years even before I started grad school). I almost quit but had to return to work because the job opportunity fell through at the last minute.

Fall 2017 semester: Started this week. Nothing is holding me back this time. If my boss asks for concessions (change of schedule, overtime, etc.) that affects completing school then I will quit. Too much time has accumulated when I could move on with my life.

2) Condo - needs alot of updating and renovations before I could rent it or sell for a really good profit. Haven't had time and energy to focus on it. I like the idea of renting it out and paying down the mortgage to sell it in the future.

So that's my story. I might move to Bay Area, Seattle or Texas (haven't been to Seattle yet but going in a few weeks) or leave the country. I'm in LA now and was in SF this past weekend and really like it up there despite the high COL. So the Bay Area is definitely a possibility.

Last edited by Peasy973; 08-23-2017 at 01:47 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 11:29 PM

17 posts, read 13,500 times
For me personally, its been increasingly difficult to narrow down a location and actually pull that trigger. Its not just jobs for me either in terms of why I've often debated on relocating (and or have) from state to state.

Financially you can easily pack your car with what fits and just go. Maybe a grand or two and literally you can change your situation. The problem becomes a ruling factor when you have people reproducing and or getting married early that adds those tie downs to these (now dead) areas that they struggle to find work.

Now I'm not by any means knocking those who settle down and have kids. That's not my intent with the above paragraph. What I am knocking is people that think they can afford to get married and have children at say twenty when they haven't really gotten themselves established yet.

Most are finishing up with school. Many of these people have zero work experience and they're taught with false promises that they can land a job pretty easily out of college. I know I was told that a decade ago. Sadly that has been a pretty blatant lie with a lot of industries.

For me, its really boiled down to the factor I don't like to give up. I'm that guy that beats it to a bloody pulp and then beats it again until it doesn't exist. That and I establish some close friendships that can be difficult to pack up and leave behind.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:23 AM

686 posts, read 399,607 times
An increasingly complacent wife who does her best to subvert plans to move back closer to family, and a son who just started therapeutic pre-K.

I am sick of Florida. When I finally get the fam out of here, it will be the second happiest day of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or