U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 02:42 PM

769 posts, read 712,293 times

Advertisements

Finishing a degree first. I'm more or less "stuck" at my job, without risking a considerable pay cut to leave (whether for a new job, or out of the area entirely), but I start senior coursework in a month, so hopefully some new doors open up next Spring/early Summer when I'm supposed to finish.

I'm debating what's next, but I'm considering using a new job, and/or grad school as an excuse to move. Based in Seattle now, thinking of going to California (Love the Bay Area, despite it's brutal COL. Still need to check out LA and SD), or possibly the east coast for awhile. I'm a lifelong PNW-er that just needs a change is all .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 06:13 PM

721 posts, read 299,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Economists are noticing that the US Economy is not as dynamic as in the past because people are moving at half the rate they did in the 1980's. Why haven't you pulled the trigger to move to where the economy is better? Is it family considerations? Leaving friends behind? Financial? Scared of change/new environment/culture?

Why are so many Americans staying put in dying towns with bad job prospects?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1069091e8c30
The main thing keeping me from moving to a new situation is how good my situation is where I am. Very few places in the country offer what Tampa Bay does at the cost of living that Tampa Bay has. I had a great job offer in Seattle recently, but I can't deal with the gloomy weather. Southern California is nice, but a 1 bedroom apartment costs what my 3 bedroom house by the beach currently does. Basically, I would be open to a move, but finding a better place than here is not easy.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:02 PM

4,099 posts, read 4,737,517 times
Money. Home. Deep roots.

I would not be happy living in flat land, even if I had more money.

In fact, I know it first hand. When I lived in Louisiana I did have more money, but I was not happy there. I'm scraping by back here in NY, but I am much happier here in the mountains than I was in the swamp.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:05 PM

5,684 posts, read 5,936,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I agree that my unstable work history is the sole/primary reason, especially since I'm having trouble even landing an interview locally. Sadly, I will probably have to resort to temping, which means I'll probably be temping for the rest of my life. I just don't see how temping is ever going to result in permanent employment ever again.

I did it in a different industry for 1 year. Temping has its place. It helped pay bills and I had a place to go to everyday. I did not look for work during that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or