U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 12:52 PM

830 posts, read 1,028,848 times

Advertisements

Economists are noticing that the US Economy is not as dynamic as in the past because people are moving at half the rate they did in the 1980's. Why haven't you pulled the trigger to move to where the economy is better? Is it family considerations? Leaving friends behind? Financial? Scared of change/new environment/culture?

Why are so many Americans staying put in dying towns with bad job prospects?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1069091e8c30

Quote:
President Trump said something last week that deserves a lot more attention. Americans ďare going to have to start moving,Ē Trump said in his interview with The Wall Street Journal (Politico leaked the full transcript of the exchange this week).

Heís right.

Americans arenít packing up and moving as they used to. Mobility is at an all-time low, according to the Census Bureau, which has tracked how many Americans change addresses since World War II. About 10 percent of Americans moved in the past year, the Census Bureau found. Thatís way down from the 1950s, '60s, '70s and early '80s, when more than 20 percent of the nation was on the go.

Itís a major cultural shift that economists and the president warn is bad for the economy. Talented workers need to be in places and companies where they can really thrive.

Too many people are living in places where they ďcanít get jobs,Ē the president said. He singled out Upstate New York, but there are plenty of other areas that have far worse rates of unemployment, like southern Ohio or eastern Kentucky. It would probably be better for those folks Ė and the U.S. economy Ė if they moved to areas where help-wanted signs are plentiful.

The lack of mobility helps explain why the U.S. economy isnít growing at the ďgreatĒ levels of the past, says economist Tyler Cowen. He published a book earlier this year that got a lot of people talking called ďThe Complacent Class: The Self-Defeating Quest for the American Dream.Ē

Cowen thinks one of the biggest problems is that Americans arenít taking enough risks anymore. They arenít even willing to move for opportunities. Itís particularly startling that people are staying put all across the age spectrum. This trend canít be blamed solely on baby boomers or millennials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 12:54 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
Money mainly. Hard to move when you're broke.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:09 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,596,070 times
Trump is certainly an odd duck. He campaigned on a platform where he would bring jobs to areas that were economically depressed. Now he's telling people that they need to move to where the jobs are and leave those areas. Which is what everyone has been telling these folks all along.

Jobs have been popping up all over for the past several years. But they haven't come to certain areas of the country. The people in these areas should look towards greener pastures but instead would rather sit around and find scapegoats for their troubles whether it is the government, corporations, "coastal elites" or immigrants. Anywhere but where the fault really lies which is themselves.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:44 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Economists are noticing that the US Economy is not as dynamic as in the past because people are moving at half the rate they did in the 1980's. Why haven't you pulled the trigger to move to where the economy is better? Is it family considerations? Leaving friends behind? Financial? Scared of change/new environment/culture?

I'm glad that the article put his statement into perspective, as there are several companies in upstate NY I know of that are hiring and are even advertising it right outside of the building they are in(Eaton in Syracuse comes to mind). So, perhaps there may be a misconception about certain areas that people really don't know much about.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:50 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,324,216 times
I imagine a big part of it is most of those with enough initiative and drive to follow economic opportunity already have. Also, it gets tiring chasing jobs around the country like a cat chasing a laser dot. At some point people just want to put roots down, especially when kids come into the picture.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:55 PM

8,946 posts, read 4,095,428 times
Quote:

For me, it's debt, specifically a car loan I am unable to get out of. I would love to move somewhere more desirable. I am miserable where I live but I cannot for at least three more years. On top of that is the fact that employers typically only consider local candidates for jobs, so finding a job somewhere else before I move isn't happening.

I also do have a decent job where I live, even though I detest the city and am miserable. Given the amount of debt I have, I really can't afford to risk being out of work for very long in an attempt to move to a more desirable place.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:58 PM

4,604 posts, read 3,017,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Money mainly. Hard to move when you're broke.
Ain't that the truth!

Old 08-06-2017, 05:15 PM

18,913 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
For me, it's debt, specifically a car loan I am unable to get out of. I would love to move somewhere more desirable. I am miserable where I live but I cannot for at least three more years. On top of that is the fact that employers typically only consider local candidates for jobs, so finding a job somewhere else before I move isn't happening.

I also do have a decent job where I live, even though I detest the city and am miserable. Given the amount of debt I have, I really can't afford to risk being out of work for very long in an attempt to move to a more desirable place.
Did you ever consider driving a truck? Wages are good and you can do it anywhere (I am a truck driver, and I like it)

Old 08-06-2017, 06:42 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Did you ever consider driving a truck? Wages are good and you can do it anywhere (I am a truck driver, and I like it)
You are not kidding after I saw this: https://youtu.be/kL__0hqpxDM

This is ironically in upstate NY, by the way(in reference to the statement in the article).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-06-2017 at 06:51 PM..

Old 08-06-2017, 06:49 PM

482 posts, read 250,813 times
Quote:

Like other posters have already pointed out, it's primarily about money. I've made several long-distance moves to explore better career opportunities, and I always say it typically takes roughly five years to fully recover financially and professionally from such moves. And this is for people who were in okay financial shape to begin with. For people who don't have that luxury, the recovery takes even longer.

In other words, a long-distance move can break a person as easily as it can make a person. The miscellaneous costs of relocation without having work lined up ahead of time can easily exceed the cost of a new vehicle, or the cost of a down payment on a nice home, or the cost of higher education. The financial commitment alone is enough to prevent most people who need to relocate from ever having a reasonable chance to do so.

Also to that point, I think the money issue is one reason why people are more likely to relocate to areas where they have better career opportunities and family. A person's ability to secure low-cost housing with family for a year or two, and at the same time get personal guidance about entry into the local employment scene, is invaluable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or