U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:02 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,668,952 times

Advertisements

Missouri is beautiful. There are mountains, rivers, lakes, about any kind of topography you'd want.

Based on the sheer size of the area, your chances of getting killed in a tornado are slim, but they do happen. And earthquakes are always a possibility. And the snow would be a shock. St. Louis got 30 inches of snow this year and our area got maybe half that. It's not uncommon for summer to get into the 90s.

Missouri is beautiful, but you also have to be prepared for just about any kind of weather. So, if you're willing to deal with a few thunderstorms, heat, and snow, Missouri is wonderful. And I'm not being sarcastic, it really is. I just think the winter will be a shock.

Missouri is very affordable, though, rural areas moreso than the cities. The major metro areas are Kansas City and St. Louis, and Springfield/Branson area to a lesser extent. Branson and Springfield seem more spread out, and I believe cost less than the major cities. They're beautiful as well. The capital of Missouri is Jefferson City, and that area as well as Columbia are nice. Lake of the Ozarks is perhaps most naturally beautiful. It's pretty close to the middle of the state.

I love Missouri. It's beautiful, but you have to be prepared for any kind of weather, except for hurricanes of course.

Check out this girl's photos on Flickr. They're gorgeous
Flickr: Search ozrkclkr's photos

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 03-13-2008 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 10:17 PM

251 posts, read 812,092 times
You and your husband would be welcome and fit in well in Mobile.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:37 AM

21 posts, read 68,890 times
Thank you again STLCardsBlues1989 for your long response. I looked at the pictures- everything is wonderful like heaven!..still concerned by the storm, tornado and earthquake. I wonder what part in Missouri never experienced those things. I also would like to ask if you experiece having the tornado and earthquake where you live. Are you scared or you're just used to it? Also, hopefully Missouri is hiring a counselor with Master's level only. My husband never get a chance yet to sstudy to get his lisence.

kevin_1975..I'm glad that you think we are welcome and fit in Mobile. Remember I am a Filipina and my husband is Caucasian!!..

Old 03-14-2008, 08:52 AM

681 posts, read 2,773,308 times
I wouldn't worry too much about the threat of earthquake. I would compare the New Madrid fault to the threat of tsunami in Hawaii. We know it's happened in the past, but it's quite rare. It might not happen again for another two hundred years, or it could happen tomorrow...just something to be prepared for.

Tornadoes are a bigger problem. They are much more common, more like hurricanes for Hawaii. You might have a threat or two a year, maybe a touchdown in the area once every few years. Very important to prepare for those...and you get some warning in advance.

In short, I wouldn't worry about either too much. It's hard to find a place in the US that doesn't have some kind of natural disaster threat.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:44 AM

4,723 posts, read 13,930,633 times
The closest thing I have found in the states to the beauty of Hawaii is Oregon. Thats no bargain either but might be worth checking out some areas(Corvallis for starters). Also, have you looked at Western North Carolina or NC in general?. I almost moved to Asheville which is spendy but alot of neighboring communities are very nice, reasonable and growing like crazy. Nice weather, mild 4 seasons and lovely mountains.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:20 PM

21 posts, read 68,890 times
Thank you SharpHawkeye for your encouragement and I think you're right....

nanannie I will also check on Oregon. As I said, wherever my husband find a job that's the place we will go..My husband's co-worker and his family is moving to Oregon.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or