U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:04 AM

21 posts, read 68,903 times

Advertisements

Hi to all!.. I am new here and I really need some advice. I and my family really want to move to the mainland. We can't afford to live here in Hilo Big Island HI. My husband work in a private job as a Mental Health Counselor and earned $55,000 while me is a stayed at home mom. We have 3 kids ages 8,6 and 2. Both of my girls is in public school. We really want to move in a place with 4 seasons..not too hot and not too cold. We are also concerned about him finding a job in mainland because he doesn't have a liscence yet. He has a Master's in Counseling. We searched some jobs but most of the base pay is $30- $37,000 a year. My question is, can we survive to live in mainland if my husband get that amount of salary? If so, in what place in the mainland could we possibly move to?..We are thinking upstate NY but i think we can't afford to live there either. We want to move to a place near school, parks, beach or lake.Please give me some suggestions.. Thank you in advance!!..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 01:18 PM

482 posts, read 2,205,601 times
Humm, since you are use to kind of tropical temp but want 4 seasons, maybe look at Mobile, Alabama they get 4 seasons but not too cold. Very much a growing area so your husband should be able to find work and even at lower salary to start off, you could make it with lower cost of living there. Would keep you near beach too.....

Old 03-13-2008, 01:57 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,954,807 times
Raising a family on that kind of money is a struggle anywhere. I grew up in an inexpensive area of the St. Louis, Mo metro and my mom made that and struggled to take care of us and keep the house. Can you go back to work?

Old 03-13-2008, 04:40 PM

Thank you Guntersville for your suggestion and also to aragx6. I will try to search about Alabama. I am a Filipina and my husband is a caucasian. I am here for 3 years now. I am waiting for my mom to get here so I can start to work. I work here in HAwaii on my first year but I have a bad experienced with the school director (who is trying to get relationship with me) so I stop working. I am taking care of my 2 yrs old son and my girls go to school. We really want to move. Our money is not enough to live here. And we have bad neighborhoods.(drink and smoke in front of their kids) and I can't stand that.
We would like to live in a simple life in mainland (far from city).

Guntersville, do you think we will be welcome in Alabama?
Thank you guys fro reading my post and give advise. I really appreciate it!

Mona

Old 03-13-2008, 05:22 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,678,033 times
I live in rural MO and $30-37k a year is difficult here. It would probably be better even in less expensive areas if you get a job. The midwest and south are generally affordable, but the midwest winters would be a shock to you I'm sure. The south sounds like your best bet.

But it would be best for you to get a job. Generally places that pay best for jobs cost more, so you need to figure out if you can live off that.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Quote:
To maintain the same standard of living, your salary of $55,000 in Hilo, Hawaii could decrease to $35,037 in St. Louis, Missouri
Stated another way, it's 36.3% cheaper to live in St. Louis, Missouri than Hilo, Hawaii
Hope that helps. It doesn't have to be St. Louis, it lists all kinds of major cities. I just used that as an example.

Last edited by Yac; 03-14-2008 at 03:57 AM..

Old 03-13-2008, 06:59 PM

Thank you STLCardsblues1989 Thank you for sharing about Cost of Living comparison. I want to ask if the amount they stated there is accurate? If so, I think we can live in mainland. It must be hard for the first time but I'll try to get back to work. We will put our girls in public school so hopefully we can also find a place near school.
Still thinking where is the best place to go. Guntersville suggesting us to Mobile, Alabama. I am not familiar with that place. I will search some more about it.

Any more suggestions will be very appriciated!..Thank you

Old 03-13-2008, 07:59 PM

Alabama is nice, and the weather shouldn't be a shock. It can be quite humid, though. I'm sure anywhere you go you'll miss Hawaii weather.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Good luck!

Check out CNN as well. They list the best places in different categories.
Best Places to Live 2007 - Money Magazine

Last edited by Yac; 03-14-2008 at 03:57 AM..

Old 03-13-2008, 08:39 PM

Thanks again STLCardsBlues1989.. yes we will miss the weather..we have drought right now and most people is out of water..we are lucky we have 2 big water catchment..I won't miss my neighborhoods for sure and our cynder road.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:45 PM

Fortunately I've never experienced a drought.

There are 2 major rivers and lots of lakes in my state, as well as a few smaller rivers and a lake nearby me, so I'm not really concerned about droughts.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:55 PM

I been searching about Missouri and I really like the place but i was discouraged when i read some post that there's a tornado and earthquake happened there in the past...would you place tell me something about it and maybe we will end up moving there.. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or