U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 02:55 PM

2,231 posts, read 1,692,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
So don't live in any of our top cities....

But you're chances of having a better paying job and prosperous career are much higher

That's why you live in an urban setting and have amenities within walking distance

Mimic'd and envy'd more likely

well, if you can't make it then.....I say move along to your next destination. It's a competitive world and if that's not your thing or you don't have the skill sets ---- unfortunately that's just how things go.
Right. Because everybody enjoys the exact same cities and values the exact same type of lifestyle that you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 02:56 PM

2,231 posts, read 1,692,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadofknowledge View Post
every "millennial" is different and where they go probably depends on race, social class, upbringing, personality/personal preference, family/friends and job connections. Cities like portland, austin, & san francisco are popular among white hipster millennials but not black/hispanic millennials. Dont think cuz ppl were born in the same decade/generation theyre all the same.
THANK YOU!!!

10 char

Old 09-15-2017, 03:58 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,275,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Right. Because everybody enjoys the exact same cities and values the exact same type of lifestyle that you do.
But you just told everyone to not live anywhere with alot of millennials thus assuming all millenials are the same?

Old 09-15-2017, 04:01 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,022,430 times
Honestly, I think there's wayyyy too much millennial hype on this forum. They are just the youngest generation with money, that has a name. All generations were there at one time, then their glory was "stolen" by the next money-making generation. Unless you are a Millennial, why do people care so much? They're just young people, just or recently out of college, getting a start. What's the fascination???? I'm a Baby Boomer, and where Millennials choose to live, matters not, to me. When they get married, matters not. Seriously, people.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Every "millennial" is different and where they go probably depends on race, social class, upbringing, personality/personal preference, family/friends and job connections. Cities like Portland, Austin, & San Francisco are popular among white hipster millennials but not black/hispanic millennials. Dont think cuz ppl were born in the same decade/generation theyre all the same.

I think black/hispanic millennials are different than white millennials, in that they prefer spacious affordable areas like Georgia, Florida, Pennsylvania, NC, Texas. While millennials prefer more build-up cities with high densities and "trendy" atmosphere (or what they think is trendy for a hipster), which is causing gentrification in some cities
Noone said all millenials.... we're talking about stats and %'s of segments. No need to patronize how all millenials are different. We know every person of every race, age group etc are different but we can take %'s and track general trends in behaviours.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:07 PM

87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times
This just in: As Millennials Get Older, Many Are Buying SUVs To Drive To Their Suburban Homes : NPR

My allowable three: "Just a few years ago, many car dealers and homebuilders were worried that millennials would forever want to be urban hipsters, uninterested in buying cars or homes.

But now, as millennials get older and richer more of them are buying SUVs to drive to their suburban homes.

The National Association of Realtors' 2017 Home Buyer and Seller Generational Trends study found that millennials were the largest group of homebuyers for the fourth consecutive year."

Plus much more.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:28 PM

742 posts, read 721,394 times
From 2005-2016 (using ACS), Oklahoma City's millennial population grew 28.2%, and the educated millennial pop. grew 51.7%, while the city overall grew 23.8%.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:37 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,647,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
This just in: As Millennials Get Older, Many Are Buying SUVs To Drive To Their Suburban Homes : NPR

My allowable three: "Just a few years ago, many car dealers and homebuilders were worried that millennials would forever want to be urban hipsters, uninterested in buying cars or homes.

But now, as millennials get older and richer more of them are buying SUVs to drive to their suburban homes.

The National Association of Realtors' 2017 Home Buyer and Seller Generational Trends study found that millennials were the largest group of homebuyers for the fourth consecutive year."

Plus much more.
It's not that people my age don't want homes or cars, its just that many of us can't afford it. Millennials are also the biggest generation to date (just barely surpassing Baby Boomers or equal in population), with the most amount of debt to date (thanks college). So it makes sense Millennials are still the biggest population buying homes. Now there are more Millennials alive than Baby Boomers.

If I could have an SUV and a house in the suburbs right now (I'm born in the youngest years of the millennials, so I'm straddling generation Z) I'd take it. But I doubt I could get a down payment any time soon. Older millennials who were born in the 80s are probably buying up homes right now. But as a mid-90s baby, I'm quite different than those Millennials. The youngest of millennials are just graduating college right now.

I think there's a big divide between Millennials born in the 90s and the ones born in the 80s. So we aren't a hive mind. But there should be a distinction between the ones in the 80s, who are in their 30s now, and the youngest ones who are still in their early 20s.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
It's not that people my age don't want homes or cars, its just that many of us can't afford it. Millennials are also the biggest generation to date (just barely surpassing Baby Boomers or equal in population), with the most amount of debt to date (thanks college). So it makes sense Millennials are still the biggest population buying homes. Now there are more Millennials alive than Baby Boomers.

If I could have an SUV and a house in the suburbs right now (I'm born in the youngest years of the millennials, so I'm straddling generation Z) I'd take it. But I doubt I could get a down payment any time soon. Older millennials who were born in the 80s are probably buying up homes right now. But as a mid-90s baby, I'm quite different than those Millennials. The youngest of millennials are just graduating college right now.

I think there's a big divide between Millennials born in the 90s and the ones born in the 80s. So we aren't a hive mind. But there should be a distinction between the ones in the 80s, who are in their 30s now, and the youngest ones who are still in their early 20s.
I was reading somewhere that they are breaking up the upper bracket of Millenials to Xinneals.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:47 AM

87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

1. We've been hearing for years that Millennials are just, well, different! They don't want these materialistic things that their Boomer parents wanted. Now the tune is changing?

2. As is true of any big "generation". The Boomers encompass 18 years, from born in 1946 to 1964. Yes, there are differences in older and younger Boomers due to age. Same with Millennials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or