U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 03:40 PM

459 posts, read 340,516 times

Advertisements

Austin, Texas is an obvious answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 05:23 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
1. We've been hearing for years that Millennials are just, well, different! They don't want these materialistic things that their Boomer parents wanted. Now the tune is changing?

2. As is true of any big "generation". The Boomers encompass 18 years, from born in 1946 to 1964. Yes, there are differences in older and younger Boomers due to age. Same with Millennials.
I think many may pass up on a car but I don't think a single person on earth prefers renting over owning. Even if it means a small condo.

I think an ideal set up many millennials would want is a permanent residency in a city they like, and to be able to travel often. Some on the other hand are homebodies and don't enjoy traveling that much and might rather have two houses. Again, we aren't a hive mind. Millennials don't really believe/read mainstream media sources anymore nor participate in their surveys so do you really believe they are accurate to what we really think? They are pandering to the older generations who are their biggest market. Believe me when I say it isn't us 20 year olds... the older Millennials are well-established in their careers, family, and houses. They aren't the ones moving to "trendy" places. It's the ones fresh out of college like myself. It's important I think for this particular generation to make this distinction. A lot happened between the 90s and 00s where we grew up. Those who spent their childhood in the 90s have a different life experience than me who was 6 when 9/11 happened. Technology was vastly different... economy was vastly different... etc.

My grandparents and my dad are both considered Boomers, exactly 18 years apart. I think 18 years is too big to be considered a generation. Reason being that I, a 22 year old, share little in common with 36 year olds. Maybe it's best to break it up by 30 year olds, 20 year olds, etc. at the current moment. I share more in common with the older generation Z who are just becoming legal to drink than a 36 year old.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:26 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I was reading somewhere that they are breaking up the upper bracket of Millenials to Xinneals.
I think it's important to make the distinction. When I was a kid I got to watch the Great Recession happen. The older tail end of the generation was in their 20s when it happened. But those then 20 year olds spent their childhood in one of the best economic conditions this country has seen. I think fundamentally we are a bit different.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:47 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,265,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I think it's important to make the distinction. When I was a kid I got to watch the Great Recession happen. The older tail end of the generation was in their 20s when it happened. But those then 20 year olds spent their childhood in one of the best economic conditions this country has seen. I think fundamentally we are a bit different.
Xennials, The Microgeneration Between Gen X And Millennials

"Enter Xennials, the new term being used to describe people born between 1977 and 1983. Like the pessimistic Gen Xers before them, this microgeneration is not as tech savvy as the millennials who are considered digital natives."

Makes sense to me to have a microgroup in between the two.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:15 PM

721 posts, read 298,570 times
Anyone else tired of hearing about millennials described as a monolithic group?

Old 09-16-2017, 06:19 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,013,828 times
Quote:
Xennials, The Microgeneration Between Gen X And Millennials

"Enter Xennials, the new term being used to describe people born between 1977 and 1983. Like the pessimistic Gen Xers before them, this microgeneration is not as tech savvy as the millennials who are considered digital natives."

Makes sense to me to have a microgroup in between the two.
I have members of my family, who very tech savvy, and they are Baby Boomers. Please, let's not presume, that Millennials are the only tech savvy people around. That's far from the truth.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I have members of my family, who very tech savvy, and they are Baby Boomers. Please, let's not presume, that Millennials are the only tech savvy people around. That's far from the truth.
I'm sure there are very tech savvy boomers. I don't doubt that at all. Reversely I know Millineals who are not tech savvy at all.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:26 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,503,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Ebck120's reality in D.C. is very narrow and limited. He simply doesn't understand the realities of the wider World.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Alot can happen within an 18 year period. It will be fun to think about when Millineals become the boomers.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:31 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,013,828 times
Quote:
I'm sure there are very tech savvy boomers. I don't doubt that at all. Reversely I know Millineals who are not tech savvy at all.
As do I. Having that ability, is not exclusive to any generation. Tech savvy pretty much equates to extremely strong math skills, if you want to really get somewhere. Some of my family members have advanced degrees in math and computer science...they're the ones who have had very long careers in this field. Some people can have "skills", but to actually go anywhere, these degrees are pretty much the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or