U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 12:12 PM

17,672 posts, read 4,066,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedean1878 View Post
Houston
I am pretty sure theres a good number of trust fund babies there due to petroleum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 01:00 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
actually there are many trust fund families in the rust belt probably more than you expect tied to the industrial age the money continues...
Good point. I just assume that they are a smaller percentage of the population due to less "New Money".

Places like Detroit metro and Cincinnati certainly have their wealthy families, but places like NYC and SF have scads of 20-somethings whose parents made it big in finance or tech in just the last couple of decades.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:02 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,626,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Again with Jacksonville...

The varying stereotypes on this forum regarding the city are fascinating.
St. Louis and Pittsburgh was odd as well. Those cities have a crapload of old money and associated trustfund babies.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:24 PM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
St. Louis and Pittsburgh was odd as well. Those cities have a crapload of old money and associated trustfund babies.
Yep. I guess it's just easier to keep regurgitating the same list of cities for "worst everything" than putting any thought or effort into it...

Old 08-11-2017, 04:40 PM

1,192 posts, read 875,253 times
Look guys, the answer is: Any city besides LA and NYC, and to a lesser extent the Bay Area and Miami.

All other cities have their local wealthy families, but don't really attract wealth from other cities. Whatever that low percent of trust fund kids is, it is essentially the same from Milwaukee to Minneapolis to St. Louis to Pittsburgh to Memphis to even cities that are creating more wealth now like Houston or Dallas. The only way you grow your number of wealthy trust fund kids is to create new wealth (Or really to have created a lot of new wealth a generation ago, since it's the kids who are the trust fund babies) or to have wealthy trust fund kids move to you city, and only the 4 above attract the young wealthy in large numbers. Again, trust fund babies aren't the ones that worked hard and made the money, they're the kids that spend their parents money on a life of ease, usually in a nicer locale than where the wealth was made. I don't think having them is much of a plus for cities, but only the 4 above attract them in any large numbers, and for Miami it's mostly wealth from abroad.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:54 PM

7,727 posts, read 9,024,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
In other words, what's the least popular city for trust fund babies to live in?
I think lots of them prefer to go out west in towns with lakes, mountains, or ski resorts. This is why I like North Dakota.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:25 PM

61 posts, read 37,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
nah... there's a ton of wealth there from oil. what's your definition of major?

philly, atlanta, phoenix, msp are my guesses from the biggest 15 or so

Philadelphia is one of the wealthiest metro areas, with some of the most rapid gentrification the last 10 years.

So definitely not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.