U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:48 AM

453 posts, read 733,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFamily View Post
Hello all!

I'd love your insight on where you would place my family. I'm a single mother with a remote job that I can be anywhere with. Spent time traveling around the world and am now trying to find a place to settle down. I don't mind slow paced, but I do want to have things to do for my children. I have two young kids 2 and 6 that are/will be homeschooled so I'd like that community to be strong where we live. Possibly montessori or something like that. I'd like the area to have plenty to offer in terms of "field trips" and learning for my children. I'd also like to be in a place where I won't be single forever (so have a decent amount of unmarried people in their 20s/30s). Other things that are important to me are warm climate, sunshine, lots of outdoor places to be (beaches, parks, playgrounds, bike paths, etc), general community being outside rather than inside if possible. I'm also relatively healthy so good food markets and healthy options would be fantastic. Good laws for natural birth, birth centers and/or home births is also important. I'd like to be easy driving distance to everything I need or want, 15 minutes tops (excursions or daytrips can be longer of course).

So far I've thought possibly Tucson (because I'm from AZ originally, but no family there now)... Denver (very outdoorsy, but cold... may over look due to people enjoying outside year round?)... Albuquerque (seems interesting culturally speaking? Something different than regular experience in states?)... Jacksonville, FL (I LOVE the beach. I could spend all my days at the beach for a year. But is it a good city for homeschooling community?). What do you guys think? Any other towns you might consider? They are all around this size because I figure a smaller city would offer much less in terms of diversity.

Thanks!
Hi TA
Just saw your housing budget of 1.2K/month also.

I can give you some insight into Tucson as I lived there for 3 years - check out a thread I made ranking Tucson in a lot of criteria.

I do not have young kids and do not know much about the homeschool community there, but I knew people who did that. "Field trips" in the Tucson area for kids will include some of the wild west towns, airplane museums, desert museum, and some great hiking. Phoenix has more amenities like the musical instrument museum that any curious kid could get lost in.

Closest beaches are in SD and Puerto Penasco in Mexico (I had a good time there at a resort and ventured off and it was safe).

In terms of the dating scene in Tucson, there is the University, Hospital, some major private companies like Raytheon, so there are singles out there - just need to reach out a bit for the scene you are looking for.
There is good diversity in this University town also. Asians, Indians, Hispanics...perhaps not very many African Americans, but otherwise diverse.

The weather is a whole different discussion that has been talked about ad naseum on the Tucson boards. Plenty of sunshine, dry heat, and perhaps not much to do outside when it is burning hot! More things to do early in the am or when the sun sets!

In terms of good food markets, there are farmers markets in town. There used to be one on the wknds on the corner of River and Campbell with some good food carts also!

I hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 09:15 AM

9 posts, read 8,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
I can give you some insight into Tucson as I lived there for 3 years - check out a thread I made ranking Tucson in a lot of criteria.
How do you find that thread? or can you link it?

Old 08-10-2017, 10:57 AM

453 posts, read 733,229 times
Quote:
How do you find that thread? or can you link it?
Will PM so the topics can stay on track

Old 08-10-2017, 03:43 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,113,668 times
NE east heights of Albuquerque is a very nice area . The Culture is similar to Tucson, El Paso with its hispanic influence as you know. Albq has a mild winter which is great summers cooler than Tucson. There are a lot of things to do , places near by to to visit . I sent my youngest daughter to Montessouri when I lived there. Sage Montessori charter school in NE Albq. Some people don't like the pervasive crime in Albq . It is very high in car thefts. Some people don't like the gangs, wanna be gangs, rumors of gangs and general dysfunction of certain areas of the city. It has great sunsets , views , museums , music scene , weather and food. I love the summer afternoon and evening thunderstorms similar to Tucson.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:35 PM

3,192 posts, read 2,645,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I know you don't like Denver, but let's get real for a second. Pueblo is a gritty, rundown mess.
I know you don't like Pueblo, but it's not the hell hole that Denverites make it out to be. IMO it's on the same page as Albuquerque, which is why I suggested it. Both are on the rougher end of cities compared to the US average, but have big swaths of nicer places to live.
Quote:
Neither Co springs or Pueblo have birth centers or a good home birth scene at all. Why wouldn't you pick denver?
Reason I wouldn't pick Denver is with 1.2K you're not getting a nice apartment (it's going to be a 650sqft 1 bedroom, mehish apartment), schools aren't that great for the kiddo, traffics by far worse than any of your other choices..... And working from home, you can get access to the same outdoor stuff (the draw to being in Denver) in other cities in the southwest. So why would you live there? It's a no brainer IMO, unless you HAVE to have a big city.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:09 PM

9 posts, read 8,283 times
Thanks guys, I'll take it to more detailed forums now. (:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.