U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2017, 10:54 PM
 
Location: 352
5,122 posts, read 3,884,064 times
Reputation: 3491

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I don't want to get into a Charlotte vs Greenville debate with you. Obviously you like bigger cities and no doubt people you know prefer big cities. I don't see anything about Charlotte that makes it more hip than Columbia or Greenville. The main difference is taller buildings, more people and more traffic. Greenville's location near the mountains and a downtown with a 30 foot waterfall right on a treelined Main Street makes it more cool in my view.

You have this premise that every millennial is the same and every one of them prefers big cities. And my comment wasn't specific to millennials.
Has nothing to do with my personal preference, I am not the other people who I was talking about. I don't "talk cities" with people. Was just giving my millennial anecdote. I don't have a big city preference anyway, I prefer wherever my field is.

Many people I know who grew up in GSP, if they are not living with mom and dad, have moved on to a city like Charlotte. Some have went to Greenville, but Charlotte has been the big magnet. That's just my real world young person anecdote.

You commented when someone said Charlotte was taking GSP people away, so I replied to it. You have the choice not to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2017, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,583 posts, read 4,003,555 times
Reputation: 2926
There are people moving from Charlotte, Atlanta, and other big cities to Greenville because they want to live here. You have not provided any evidence that this is not true. The downtown, the waterfall, and the proximity to the Blue Ridge are definitely big draws here. I have taken people who had never been to Greenville to the downtown and they all gush over it.

There are also a lot of people who move to Charlotte because they got a job there, including people who lived in small towns who would prefer to live in a small town.

I never said that Charlotte is 'uncool'. I was responding to a person who implied Charlotte is more cool than Columbia and Greenville.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-09-2017 at 11:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 11:01 PM
 
Location: 352
5,122 posts, read 3,884,064 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Not sure why but I posted the below in another thread and Atlanta seems to be having a hard time recently attracting millenials.. there is just a mention of it not being the magnet it used to be below.
I don't know. I'm sure they've crunched their numbers, but I bet there's data elsewhere that may say opposite, and vice versa. ATL home ownership definitely took a hit, but I'm very familiar with the city and don't see how it's suddenly not a millennial spot.

A lot of these cities with these high % gains had low shares to begin with or weren't big in the professional world and are now catching up. Charleston for example. Interesting find though. Regardless, ATL's still in good shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 11:12 PM
 
Location: 352
5,122 posts, read 3,884,064 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
There are people moving from Charlotte, Atlanta, and other big cities to Greenville because they want to live here. You have not provided any evidence that this is not true.

There are also a lot of people who move to Charlotte because they got a job there, including people who lived in small towns who would prefer to live in a small town.
I didn't say there wasn't...someone said that people were moving from GSP to Charlotte. You said "well people are moving from Charlotte to GSP." My point was to reaffirm that Charlotte is the magnet of the Carolinas.

Yeah that's the main reason people, mainly us millennials, are moving places: jobs. And Charlotte has plenty. Everyone I know who moved to Charlotte moved because of jobs. And Greenville was the same way. No one I personally know or met has came to Greenville because of the waterfall or Main Street, they came because they found a job, or they're in medical school.

Well sratch that, I know one girl from Florida who decided to move to Greenville after visiting, but she's a nomad. She plans to be gone by the end of the year. And her finding a job was the catalyst for her to move here in the first place. She didn't just pack up and head to SC.

I have one friend who moved to Taylors, but only reason she went there is because she landed a job in Duncan, so it was a good commute. Otherwise Taylors wasn't on the mind.

I was just giving my anecdote that actual recent college graduates and young people that I know have finally found Charlotte "cool", looked for a job, found it, and have made the move. Greenville on a lesser scale. That doesn't mean Greenville isn't "cool", but I agree with the guy you quoted that Charlotte is a magnet that's pulling from GSP as well everywhere else in the Carolinas. It's obvious.

To most people I know, Charlotte is just seen as the cooler place. More jobs, more activities, more options. That is not a slight on Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,583 posts, read 4,003,555 times
Reputation: 2926
Ok, most people I know think Greenville is a cool place. I have not heard anybody talking up Charlotte or Atlanta here.

I lived here in my 20's and now in my 30's and I know a lot of people here and they all love it, and not simply because they have a job here.

I don't agree Charlotte has more activities or options, other than the pro sports stuff and Greenville isn't far for an occasional trip for a ballgame. I think being closer to the Blue Ridge gives Greenville more to do.

More companies in Charlotte doesn't mean a person gets hired for a job he or she wants there, and I don't think more jobs has anything to do with the city being cool or not. There are cool small tourism towns with few jobs.

I never stated or implied you 'slighted' Greenville. You implied that I slighted Charlotte with your statement: 'Charlotte is more hip than CD wants to give it credit for.' in response to one of my posts. I never said it isn't cool or 'hip'. My comment was that I don't think Charlotte and Atlanta are more cool than Greenville.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-09-2017 at 11:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 11:35 PM
 
Location: 352
5,122 posts, read 3,884,064 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok, most people I know think Greenville is a cool place. I have not heard anybody talking up Charlotte or Atlanta here.

I lived here in my 20's and now in my 30's and I know a lot of people here and they all love it, and not simply because they have a job here.

I don't agree Charlotte has more activities or options, other than the pro sports stuff and Greenville isn't far for an occasional trip for a ballgame. I think being closer to the Blue Ridge gives Greenville more to do.

More companies in Charlotte doesn't mean a person gets hired for a job he or she wants there, and I don't think more jobs has anything to do with the city being cool or not.

I never stated or implied you 'slighted' Greenville. You implied that I slighted Charlotte with your statement: 'Charlotte is more hip than CD wants to give it credit for.' in response to one of my posts. I never said it isn't cool or 'hip'. My comment was that I don't think Charlotte and Atlanta are more cool than Greenville.
Yeah that's why I said I was giving my anecdotes, not my "I thinks". My hip Charlotte commented wasn't directed at you, it was directed at CDers who think Charlotte is nothing but a boring, sprawled sunbelt.

Charlotte being more and having more is an obvious consensus based on demographics, development, and demand, but alright, nevermind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,583 posts, read 4,003,555 times
Reputation: 2926
You made that comment specifically in response to my post. That doesn't make any sense unless it was at least partially aimed at me. I never said Charlotte is boring.

My comments were based on anecdotes. I live in Greenville and have lived here for 17 years. I do know people that moved to Greenville because they wanted to live here. I moved here because I wanted to live here. That contradicts your assertion. I also can only recall maybe 1 person moving to Charlotte and I think that was because he grew up there.

Charlotte having more jobs, more malls, more retail stores, more restaurants, etc, doesn't mean there is more to do in terms of activities. There are plenty of restaurants, bars, retail stores in Gville for most people.

People I went to college and high school with ended up all over the country, and many ended up in Greenville and other cities including small towns in SC. I think Charleston and/or Greenville were the most desired locations for many of them.

I don't view Charlotte as the 'hub of the Carolinas'. I have lived all over SC and I have never thought about Charlotte or gone there except when I worked in Uptown for a few months.

Your assertion that Charlotte has more to do than Greenville is a 'I thinks' as you put it. That is an opinion, not an anecdote.

You say Charlotte has a lot of pull with GSPers but you have never lived in Greenville or Spartanburg. You said in the past that you grew up in a small city 30 miles to the west of Greenville.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-10-2017 at 12:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 11:42 PM
 
Location: 352
5,122 posts, read 3,884,064 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Great points. Those are the kind of places I would consider middle ground. Cool things happen in Dallas and Charlotte. Likewise people from places like Columbia and Greenville-Spartanburg move to Charlotte.
Agreed. Charlotte is the hub of the Carolinas. It has pull with a lot of GSPers. It may not be "Nashville hip", but for the region, it gives young people more than what they're used to.

I feel like it's that way with other similar cities as well. I just got back from Dallas and personally didn't like the city, or DFW in general, but I could see why it'd be a magnet in Texas and Oklahoma, even though it's not "Austin hip."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2017, 04:53 AM
 
7,705 posts, read 4,566,742 times
Reputation: 8423
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Those are all great if you're a "yuppie" or a "hipster," personally speaking I don't find those cities who attract those type of people as "cool."

It's a cool little subculture with some interesting people, but I don't want to constantly live around those type of people; after a while it gets boring and cliche. That's why I can't include Austin with cities like Portland or Pittsburgh because at least Austin has the proper foundation to attract millennials from multiple demographics, and being in Texas just makes it even better. Also, with Colorado legalizing Marijuana, that alone amped the cool factor of Denver...

IMO, I think "cool" cities are those like Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Chicago, DC, Oakland, LA, etc.
You've tipped your hand. Austin is the only city with population growth that has an absolute decrease in its Black population. It's techbro central.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2017, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,857 posts, read 2,984,533 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You've tipped your hand. Austin is the only city with population growth that has an absolute decrease in its Black population. It's techbro central.
So? Tech bros bring diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top