U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 07:02 AM

56,633 posts, read 80,930,134 times

Advertisements

Many midsized Interior Northeastern and Midwestern cities seem to fit the "uncool" or "unpopular" city list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 07:21 AM

12,427 posts, read 11,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I used to live in PA and never once did I encounter someone who wanted to live in Pittsburgh other than to attend school or for a job. Of course that can be outdated now, just like your outdated view of Dallas. I don't think either city is cool overall, but they do have cool aspects. Kind of a nice middle ground. I can't speak for the Pittsburgh music scene, but I know Dallas's is incredibly underrated and under the radar. And yes, a lot of people do relocate their online business to here.
I actually don't think Pittsburgh is that well known for its music scene (though I'm in my late 30s and a parent now and out of the loop) but it is well known for its art scene.

I'd say that it is true most of the people who are moving here tend to either be young people who grew up in the burbs, or people who went to school at Pitt or CMU and decided to stay. But there definitely are people (mostly older millennials or young Xers) moving from elsewhere to come to Pittsburgh now. There's been enough Brooklyn transplants that this was written back in 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Those are all great if you're a "yuppie" or a "hipster," personally speaking I don't find those cities who attract those type of people as "cool."

It's a cool little subculture with some interesting people, but I don't want to constantly live around those type of people; after a while it gets boring and cliche. That's why I can't include Austin with cities like Portland or Pittsburgh because at least Austin has the proper foundation to attract millennials from multiple demographics, and being in Texas just makes it even better. Also, with Colorado legalizing Marijuana, that alone amped the cool factor of Denver...
Pittsburgh might be an unusually white large metro, but the city isn't a Burlington or Madison. My daughter goes to a majority-black magnet school, and has a good friend who is half Hungarian, half Afro-Brazilian, and another friend who was born in China. There are still a lot of poor white people who live within city limits too, which makes it a bit of an anomaly nationwide.

But yes, it's true that while the city has been growing its middle class "eds & meds" job base, working-class jobs continue to leave the region, so there's not really much of any reason for outsiders who don't have a college degree to move here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
IMO, I think "cool" cities are those like Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Chicago, DC, Oakland, LA, etc.
Obviously everyone has their own idea of cool, but can you elaborate? I like Chicago, and I think DC was a cool city before it became so full of yuppies. But I don't really see the commonalities between all these cities except having a lot of nonwhite people of recent immigrant origin. What does living in a diverse city get you exactly, aside from much better food options?

Old 08-10-2017, 09:39 AM

23,587 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Outside of a few major hub cities, most places are uncool and kind of glossed over.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:31 AM

29,945 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
There are people moving from Charlotte, Atlanta, and other big cities to Greenville because they want to live here. You have not provided any evidence that this is not true. The downtown, the waterfall, and the proximity to the Blue Ridge are definitely big draws here. I have taken people who had never been to Greenville to the downtown and they all gush over it.

There are also a lot of people who move to Charlotte because they got a job there, including people who lived in small towns who would prefer to live in a small town.

I never said that Charlotte is 'uncool'. I was responding to a person who implied Charlotte is more cool than Columbia and Greenville.
I'm not sure that he was actually implying that since he went on to make a broader point that people from smaller places are often attracting to the largest city in their region and that's when he mentioned people from Greenville and Columbia moving to Charlotte. That would also apply to people in cities like Asheville and Charleston, both cities with a higher "cool factor" than Charlotte generally speaking, moving to Charlotte...and the reason primarily revolves around jobs and economic opportunity. Of course there are also people making the reverse move, but it's typically a smaller amount of people.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:37 AM

29,945 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I don't know. I'm sure they've crunched their numbers, but I bet there's data elsewhere that may say opposite, and vice versa. ATL home ownership definitely took a hit, but I'm very familiar with the city and don't see how it's suddenly not a millennial spot.

A lot of these cities with these high % gains had low shares to begin with or weren't big in the professional world and are now catching up. Charleston for example. Interesting find though. Regardless, ATL's still in good shape.
Basically the recession caused a pretty significant interruption in the millenial trend (which was pretty strong) and the metro is still playing catchup and as usual, the data is already somewhat outdated at the time of release.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:47 AM

236 posts, read 313,911 times
I think Charlotte should definitely be on the uncool list.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:48 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,885,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not sure that he was actually implying that since he went on to make a broader point that people from smaller places are often attracting to the largest city in their region and that's when he mentioned people from Greenville and Columbia moving to Charlotte. That would also apply to people in cities like Asheville and Charleston, both cities with a higher "cool factor" than Charlotte generally speaking, moving to Charlotte...and the reason primarily revolves around jobs and economic opportunity. Of course there are also people making the reverse move, but it's typically a smaller amount of people.
Thank you for making sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Basically the recession caused a pretty significant interruption in the millenial trend (which was pretty strong) and the metro is still playing catchup and as usual, the data is already somewhat outdated at the time of release.
That's what I gathered.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:56 AM

7,583 posts, read 4,006,044 times
There isn't necessarily more economic opportunity in Charlotte. A person has to beat out other applicants for any job. I've had 4 jobs with employers in the Upstate and 1 job with large employer in Aiken.

As a 17 year resident of Greenville, I have never observed people leaving Greenville in droves for Charlotte, as was asserted. People move from Greenville but this is for all sorts of reasons and to destinations all over the country. I also never described Greenville as a magnet for Charlotte people, as he claimed. All I said is some people in CHarlotte and other big cities move to Greenville. Relocation isn't a one way street from smaller metro to bigger metros. Greenville has people moving in from all over the country.,

There are numerous transplants who post on the Greenville forum who specifically have stated they moved to Greenville because they liked the downtown and wanted to be close to the mountains.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-10-2017 at 12:16 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 11:35 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,885,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG2020 View Post
It's not the cities themselves that are neither cool or uncool, every city has their cool and uncool parts.
I agree, but I feel it depends on the city. Everyone I know that moved to New York is going to Manhattan or Brooklyn. No ones thinking about Bronx or Staten Island. Same with Charleston.

On the other hands my friends that have moved to Charlotte and DC are just going to Charlotte and the DMV. They're not necessarily picky about which part of town.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:40 AM

9,025 posts, read 4,119,343 times
Once again, I would say that I think Charlotte is middle ground. Charlotte is a great place to move for work if you have a job there and it offers ample cultural amenities. On the other hand, it likely isn't the kind of place that trust fund babies who can move anywhere they please will choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or