U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 02:11 PM

7,705 posts, read 4,566,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I guarantee you theyre not. No one has said "I must have Arlington", "must have Logan Circle", "must have Old Town." They're scattered all over the metro. While my friends who have moved to New York strategically zeroed in on Manhattan and Brooklyn and only cared about those 2.
You'd be surprised at how many of those types find themselves in Queens neighborhoods like Astoria, Long Island City and increasingly, Sunnyside and Woodside. Most people looking to move to DMV are looking at 1/3 of the district, one MD county and one VA county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 02:16 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,884,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You'd be surprised at how many of those types find themselves in Queens neighborhoods like Astoria, Long Island City and increasingly, Sunnyside and Woodside. Most people looking to move to DMV are looking at 1/3 of the district, one MD county and one VA county.
Again I'm not denying people don't do it, but for everyone I know who has relocated to the DMV, they are not deadset on an area, like my New York friends have been.

I had a friend who recently graduated Clemson and moved to DC for grad school, and another who is moving to DC from Nashville. They both have asked me areas based on some criteria and I've given them recommendations. No one I know ever says "I have to be in the District" or "Adams Morgan" or "MoCo." We don't know what Moco and Adams Morgan is.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:16 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Okay, but not the people I know. When it comes to going out and hanging out, yeah they want to be in certain neighborhoods, but when it comes to living, they're not that picky.

I'm not denying people do it, but people I know don't. They're picky about NYC, not DC.
I'd say they're picky about DC but it's not necessarily about having to be in a specific neighborhood if they are seeking to live in an urban neighnorhood within the city. But it's not really an apples to apples comparison due to size differences between the two. Parts of Queens are off the list for some moving to NYC solely due to distance from Manhattan; that's not an issue that a smaller city like DC has to deal with.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:30 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Thing is, nobody from here has a reason to go up to NY, NJ, or CT, unless its NYC. The higher COL, the cold weather, the older homes, etc. When you have emerging big and midsize cities here, it doesn't make sense to go up there. There's no new opportunity.

That's a big reason why it's NYC or bust. Biggest reason is the jobs, but then there's also the experience. Nothing in the south comes close to NYC living. At least Midwesterns have Chicago and Westerners have San Fran. NYC is "cool" to us because it's almost foreign. Rochester, Newark, Albany, Stamford, etc, not so much.
Oh, I was thinking about people like your roommate from NY or other parts of the Northeast.

Some may(and do)do it for something different or for other aspects(perhaps pay or more walkability in compared to relative cities), but many of said cities are unknowns or aren't on the radar.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-10-2017 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 02:42 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,884,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Oh, I was thinking about people like your roommate from NY or other parts of the Northeast.
Yeah, I don't know. They just all ran to NYC or similar. Saratoga, Rochester, Fairfield CT, Brielle NJ, Kingston, Greenwich, Doylestown PA, Guilford CT, etc. Just seems like no one is interested in anything outside of NYC. I do have a roommate from Jersey who lives in Boston and best friend from Long Island who's in Charlotte now.

Most everyone I can recall who I met at school from the tri-state area either stayed here in SC, went on to NYC, or to the usual suspects: SF, DC, Boston, etc. And a couple overseas.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:59 PM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,521,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Pittsburgh might be an unusually white large metro, but the city isn't a Burlington or Madison. My daughter goes to a majority-black magnet school, and has a good friend who is half Hungarian, half Afro-Brazilian, and another friend who was born in China. There are still a lot of poor white people who live within city limits too, which makes it a bit of an anomaly nationwide.

Obviously everyone has their own idea of cool, but can you elaborate? I like Chicago, and I think DC was a cool city before it became so full of yuppies. But I don't really see the commonalities between all these cities except having a lot of nonwhite people of recent immigrant origin. What does living in a diverse city get you exactly, aside from much better food options?
That's the thing though, I never mentioned anything about race, sure it plays a part, but it wasn't the main point of what I meant.

For example, you stated that you thought DC was cool before it became full of yuppies, well what do you think cities like Portland, Minneapolis and etc. are? At least DC has HBCU Culture, Local Urban Culture, Interesting African Presence and etc. that adds to the influx Yuppies and what they bring. It's not just about living in a racially diverse city, but more about cities that embraces multiple demographics. People might not consider Detroit diverse but it has a large Arab/Muslim community that it highly embraces, and I've experienced that personally.

It's not just the food options, it's being able to meet different people, experience different things, being able to enjoy yourself around various groups of people and everything else I pretty much explained in my other posts. Like I said before, it's not only about race; that Hipster could be Black, Hispanic or Asian doesn't matter, but after awhile I'd get bored being around those type of people, it'll get cliche.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:01 PM

7,705 posts, read 4,566,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
That's the thing though, I never mentioned anything about race, sure it plays a part, but it wasn't the main point of what I meant.

For example, you stated that you thought DC was cool before it became full of yuppies, well what do you think cities like Portland, Minneapolis and etc. are? At least DC has HBCU Culture, Local Urban Culture, Interesting African Presence and etc. that adds to the influx Yuppies and what they bring. It's not just about living in a racially diverse city, but more about cities that embraces multiple demographics. People might not consider Detroit diverse but it has a large Arab/Muslim community that it highly embraces, and I've experienced that personally.

It's not just the food options, it's being able to meet different people, experience different things, being able to enjoy yourself around various groups of people and everything else I pretty much explained in my other posts. Like I said before, it's not only about race; that Hipster could be Black, Hispanic or Asian doesn't matter, but after awhile I'd get bored being around those type of people, it'll get cliche.
You keep saying this like it's meaningful. How do these cities "embrace" these demographics outside of simply having them?

Edit: wait, do you think Pittsburgh is ONLY hipsters?

Old 08-10-2017, 07:30 PM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,521,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You keep saying this like it's meaningful. How do these cities "embrace" these demographics outside of simply having them?

Edit: wait, do you think Pittsburgh is ONLY hipsters?
It's all about recognition and acknowledgement; allowing those demographics to be themselves. Look at it this way, the way you guys glorify the "coolness" within cities like Portland, or Pittsburgh as it relates to Hipsters or Yuppies. Well imagine having that, and including various other demographics as well...that just shoots up the cool factor to another level, makes the city much more interesting.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:48 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,984,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Reporting live from Pittsburgh here...just ran to the dry cleaners and there were two men hanging out on the sidewalk speaking Arabic. Then ran to the grocery store down the street, guess what, two men speaking Lebanese. My Pittsburgh neighborhood has at least four cool people in it.
Unique in Pittsburgh, standard fare in DC. You'll get used to it. Be tolerant please.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:22 AM

2,671 posts, read 2,036,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Unique in Pittsburgh, standard fare in DC. You'll get used to it. Be tolerant please.

That's quite an assumption. Don't worry though, myself and my neighbors are very used to it. My neighborhood has had a decent sized Lebanese and Syrian population going back decades. They own some of the bedrock businesses and are an integral part of our neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or