U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 AM

122 posts, read 79,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Unique in Pittsburgh, standard fare in DC. You'll get used to it. Be tolerant please.
That's not unique in Pittsburgh at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 01:34 PM

7,731 posts, read 4,578,077 times
Again diversity doesn't automatically equal cool. Queens may be the most diverse place on earth, but there's very little cool about it. DC is very diverse, yet it's lost most of its cool through gentrification. It was far cooler as Chocolate City.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:26 PM

7,744 posts, read 9,044,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
^ Ignore the stat nerds

Cities that are "uncool" or "not hip" are cities like Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Louisville, Minneapolis and etc.
I'm not sure if I'd include Minneapolis on that list. It seems somewhat hip at least.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:05 PM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,524,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Again diversity doesn't automatically equal cool. Queens may be the most diverse place on earth, but there's very little cool about it. DC is very diverse, yet it's lost most of its cool through gentrification. It was far cooler as Chocolate City.
I think my point is flying right over your head. Queens isn't even the "coolest" borough in NYC despite its diversity; IMO that's Manhattan and Brooklyn. The most interesting or "cool" things happens in Manhattan (PR/DR Day Parade, Soho, Harlem, etc.) and Brooklyn (Afro Punk, West Indian Carnival, Curlfest, Brooklyn Bridge Park, etc.) ...

I can't just see a city that's so fixated on embracing a distinct group of people as "cool."

Old 08-11-2017, 09:08 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,164,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
But until a city has built that sort of buzz that it can attract migrants who come without a job offer or any real plans, it's not trendy, and thus not cool.
Except there is only a privileged minority of the population that can afford to make such a move. If we were to say that "cool" could be used to describe something that attracts the masses of young people rather than just a few, Portland and Denver wouldn't cut it.

Houston/Dallas' biggest draw might be jobs and COL, but they are continuing to add diverse groups of young people to an already young population. The median age in both cities is ~33 and the largest age group is late twenties.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:00 AM

7,825 posts, read 12,338,063 times
Shreveport, Louisiana isn't nearly as "boring" as bad as people claim.

Looks like a lot of millenials are staying in Baton Rouge due to LSU. Baton Rouge is an underrated city with something for everyone. You have your more yuppie places downtown (though not to the crazy extent of DC or the Northeast or California), you have suburbs and there are still rural outlying areas where some of the old South survives.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:23 PM

7,232 posts, read 8,241,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Nothing against Charlotte but I think lot of people in Charlotte would like to live in Greenville or Columbia. Greenville especially is more 'cool', in my view, and a ton of people living here have moved here from bigger cities.

I live in Charlotte and have never met anyone who wants to live in either of these cities. Most Charlotte residents are from somewhere else anyway and wouldn't have the knowledge of Columbia/Greenville that natives would. If they moved here from Chicago or NYC and think Charlotte is small, then nowhere in SC is going to give them that "big city feel".

I would think the only ones here who would want to move to Columbia are U of South Carolina alumni. I very rarely hear anyone speak of going to Columbia except for them during football season, and the occasional family that takes their kids to the Zoo for a day. Charleston is the city in SC that a lot of Charlotteans like to visit.

Greenville and Columbia are not bad cities by any means, but neither city is even the "cool kid" in its own state.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:26 PM

7,592 posts, read 4,014,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post

I live in Charlotte and have never met anyone who wants to live in either of these cities. Most Charlotte residents are from somewhere else anyway and wouldn't have the knowledge of Columbia/Greenville that natives would. If they moved here from Chicago or NYC and think Charlotte is small, then nowhere in SC is going to give them that "big city feel".

I would think the only ones here who would want to move to Columbia are U of South Carolina alumni. I very rarely hear anyone speak of going to Columbia except for them during football season, and the occasional family that takes their kids to the Zoo for a day. Charleston is the city in SC that a lot of Charlotteans like to visit.

Greenville and Columbia are not bad cities by any means, but neither city is even the "cool kid" in its own state.
Ok, sounds like an opinion to me. I like Charleston but it is definitely overrated.

You and others on here seem to think to be cool, it must be a big city. I have never at any point talked about a 'big city feel'. In my view, Charlotte is not that really that big.

I never said that everybody in Charlotte wants to live in Greenville or COlumbia or has knowledge of them. I don't know where you are getting that. I don't think it is controversial to say there are some people in Charlotte who would like to live in Greenville or Columbia.

There are tons of people who live in Greenville and Columbia who moved there from other places to include bigger cities.

I don't ever hear people talking about CHarlotte in Greenville. When I lived in Columbia, people weren't talking about Charlotte. I would say Greenville with the waterfall downtown is more unique than Charlotte.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-12-2017 at 01:34 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 01:34 PM

7,232 posts, read 8,241,700 times
Did you even read what I bolded in your post?

I'm speaking as someone who actually lives in Charlotte, and interacts with people who also live in Charlotte. I have never met anyone who has said "I really want to live in Columbia or Greenville". I know a few people who did move to Columbia for work, but they did so because their job took them there. They didn't really want to move there, and they left at first opportunity to do so. Even my Gamecock friends who swore they would never leave Columbia all did by the time they were done with grad school.

Again, most people who live in Charlotte today are from somewhere else. A good number of them know very little about Columbia or Greenville to begin with, and have little desire to move there. If anything, they are either content with Charlotte or would rather move back to wherever they moved from.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:35 PM

7,592 posts, read 4,014,719 times
Ok, you don't know everybody in CHarlotte though, it is a big metro.

So you think there isn't anybody in Charlotte that would like to live in a smaller metro with less traffic, or one near the mountains? It funny how people on here act like everybody has the same preferences that you do.

There are a lot of people who move to Charlotte because they got job there. That goes for every not-exclusively tourist city in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or