U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2017, 06:50 PM
 
1,987 posts, read 1,242,159 times
Reputation: 2222

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I disagree. Pittsburgh's new reputation centers on hip. Uncool cities are places like Dallas and Charlotte that don't excite anyone, but are steady draws.
What year is this? 2001? The constant influx of transplants, especially in gentrifying and urban parts of these cities, have definitely impacted their local culture. I can't speak on Charlotte, but I can find cool aspects to Dallas. As my one friend said, "Dallas is becoming more cool, while Austin is becoming less." There's more reason to stay in Dallas today than just simply for jobs and COL, thanks to urban infill, new parks, and a revitalization of older areas. Probably wasn't the case a decade ago.

And Pittsburgh? I'm quite familiar with it. The "coolness" of Pittsburgh has absolutely nothing to do with Millennials or youth culture. The history, the landmarks, geography/terrain, etc. is what makes Pittsburgh a cool city, not some faux hipster douche. Southside is fun, but I'll take eclectic Deep Ellum over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2017, 06:51 PM
 
Location: I is where I is
2,097 posts, read 1,530,833 times
Reputation: 2315
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I'm a very open-minded person, but I also like variety. Pittsburgh and Minneapolis both don't seem open to drawing in multiple demographics. It might be cool to a distinct group of people, but doesn't looks like other groups are included.



See post above.

Also I don't really care for Urbanity when it comes to things like this, as long as there's walkable areas.
Plenty of walkable areas, the entire downtown is rather walkable, as is the urban neighborhood I mentioned above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 08:16 PM
 
36 posts, read 23,082 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
I scoff at any notion that Detroit is uncool. Thats one cool town.
Exactly.

The city has cheap real estate, a cultural and historical hub, beautiful pre-war downtown and neighborhoods, stunning waterfront, the country's largest island park, a culture that fosters entrepreneurship and bohemianism, one of the best food scenes in the United States; Detroit is 1970's New York cool right now only with a declining crime rate and more tech.

Anyone who disagrees is just stuck on some stupid stigma. The same goes for Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 08:26 PM
 
4,491 posts, read 2,683,576 times
Reputation: 4104
Population trends aren't necessarily an indication. Sometimes the highest-demand cities are too expensive for mass-in-migration.

Also, lots of places have a cool factor even if their economies are horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 09:32 PM
 
7,744 posts, read 4,587,960 times
Reputation: 8454
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I'm a very open-minded person, but I also like variety. Pittsburgh and Minneapolis both don't seem open to drawing in multiple demographics. It might be cool to a distinct group of people, but doesn't looks like other groups are included.



See post above.

Also I don't really care for Urbanity when it comes to things like this, as long as there's walkable areas.
Cities draw a wide variety of people because because they have diverse, booming economies. Cool is something entirely different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,876 posts, read 3,000,080 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Why exactly?
Personally I think it's beautiful, but too hot for my taste. IDK why exactly, I just never hear it mentioned as a hip city for youngsters. Maybe a great place to raise family.

why isn't Salt Lake City considered cool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 10:55 PM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,101 posts, read 4,146,847 times
Reputation: 7742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
why isn't Salt Lake City considered cool?
Probably because its perceived as being conservative. It's definitely not conservative (Utah is but Salt Lake City is quite liberal) but most people see it that way. Colorado Springs suffers from a similar perception problem. It's a beautiful city, but the fact it's perceived as being conservative makes it unpopular for the younger generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,876 posts, read 3,000,080 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Probably because its perceived as being conservative. It's definitely not conservative (Utah is but Salt Lake City is quite liberal) but most people see it that way. Colorado Springs suffers from a similar perception problem. It's a beautiful city, but the fact it's perceived as being conservative makes it unpopular for the younger generation.
I think on a national scale, though it may actually vote dem, Phoenix is viewed as more conservative than the "cool cities," think seattle, Portland, NYC, LA, Boston, Denver, Austin, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 06:51 AM
 
21,210 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Reputation: 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
T
To your list, I would think you could add Jacksonville, VA Beach, Wilmington, Winston-Salem, Sacramento, Reno, Omaha, Tulsa, Des Moines.....
Illogically probably not as one of the 10 fastest growing major cities in the country the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 06:54 AM
 
29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Reputation: 18547
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Illogically probably not as one of the 10 fastest growing major cities in the country the past few years.
But it's not been young educated professionals/millenials that have been driving that growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top