Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities will become popular for their affordability in the coming years?
Providence 6 8.22%
Albany 0 0%
Buffalo 3 4.11%
Richmond 14 19.18%
Greensboro 7 9.59%
Columbus OH 19 26.03%
Indianapolis 10 13.70%
Cincinnati 9 12.33%
St Louis 5 6.85%
Kansas City 8 10.96%
Milwaukee 3 4.11%
Oklahoma City 6 8.22%
Omaha 8 10.96%
Des Moines 6 8.22%
Birmingham 5 6.85%
Winston Salem 6 8.22%
Columbia SC 7 9.59%
Greenville-Spartanburg 14 19.18%
Knoxville 7 9.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 09:50 AM

461 posts, read 858,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Nashville is already booming, has been for a couple years now, also isn't on the "cheap" side as far as cost of living.

Reno I think is a major place that not many talk about. It's not booming (yet) at the moment, however Google, Tesla, and Apple have all bought land plots there and will be building soon. A lot of hipsters will be there before long.
Again, as I mentioned on my post, "cheap" is relative.

I think Reno is booming already. There is a dearth of housing and you know more and more employment is coming. RE prices have risen quite a bit. If the gigafactory and other tech companies establish a good base there, I think the town and the surrounding Lake Tahoe will become the next hot spot that folks will move to. I am headed there in a few months for a job interview there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 09:50 AM

34,128 posts, read 18,381,144 times
I would still focus on those cities in the South, and Sunbelt. Buffalo? Yeah right.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:57 AM

822 posts, read 846,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcomeInPeaceDolphLundgren View Post
Providence has such an awesome location being located between New York City and Boston that it's just a matter of time before Providence becomes super expensive and popular.
Ugh ... I hope not. I already see rents creeping up, although it's still affordable given its location.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:04 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,136,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Is Providence cheap?
It's cheap for the region. Here's a good example I came across lately: A couple of years ago, I moved into a four bedroom, two bathroom house in the highest-income suburb of Providence. I was up near Boston a couple of weeks ago and I saw a listing in the window of a real-estate agency for a two-bedroom, one-bath apartment in a subdivided house in a decent, but not particularly desirable suburb. It was $30,000 more than I paid for my house.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:16 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,306,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
Again, as I mentioned on my post, "cheap" is relative.

I think Reno is booming already. There is a dearth of housing and you know more and more employment is coming. RE prices have risen quite a bit. If the gigafactory and other tech companies establish a good base there, I think the town and the surrounding Lake Tahoe will become the next hot spot that folks will move to. I am headed there in a few months for a job interview there.
Living in the Bay Area, my wife and I go to Lake Tahoe at least once month usually, it's an amazing place. Reno to Tahoe is around 45-60 minutes, but when it snows, the roads can shut down completely. It's a seasonal place, so I don't think Tahoe will see a huge population increase, but will definitely see a rise in business from all the people being tourists.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:35 AM

34,848 posts, read 30,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Greenville gets a lot of mention on CD which is interesting to me because to be perfectly honest I'd never meet anyone from there, heard anyone outside of this forum mention it or even heard of it before period.
The downtown is amazing. Still, it's been a relatively small/unknown area until the last decade or so when European automotive moved in.

You have excellent dining options, enough shopping and stuff for most people on a daily basis. Very close to the mountains, reasonably close to Atlanta and Charlotte, not too far from the ocean (compared to much of the country), mild four season climate, etc.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:59 AM

1,000 posts, read 890,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Interesting, although what makes you think people would pick Richmond over Baltimore? Richmond is too far from DC to be a practical commute.

I guess I'm thinking the things that drive the DC economy are pretty related to the government and different to Richmond as I understand it. Are you expecting more low wage economic refugees who are being gentrified out? Families where a commute to DC is only necessary a couple times a week?
I was more so speaking about relocation. I have met a few people who have decided to find jobs in Richmond and make the move down here. I moved here from Baltimore through a job transfer. There are people who live here and drive up to Fredericksburg to take the VRE into DC. I would definitely not expect that to become the norm. I also know a few people here from DC who are able to mostly work from home. I don't think it always has to be a matter of people being gentrified out, a lot of times people just choose to move to cheaper, slower areas for an improvement on their QOL. I see this positively affecting Baltimore as well. I wouldn't exactly consider Baltimore to be a reasonable commute either...

Last edited by mpier015; 08-10-2017 at 11:12 AM..

Old 08-10-2017, 11:11 AM

601 posts, read 957,236 times
I can see Greensboro going through a boom in the upcoming years. Cost of living in the Triangle and Charlotte will continue to increase, which will in turn make Greensboro and Winston-Salem as attractive alternatives. It also helps that the metro is located along I-85/40, and is only a little over an hour away from the other two major metros in the North Carolina.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:13 AM

10,106 posts, read 7,321,479 times
Greenville is the center of the most populated county, MSA and CSA in South Carolina.

Texas is 14 hours or so away from Greenville so it isn't surprising a person in Texas had not heard about it. It isn't a big metro like Atlanta, a college town, state capital, or a tourist town, although the tourism has picked up since they built the massive pedestrian bridge right over the waterfall downtown back in 2006.

At least one of the local tv networks broadcasts Greenville's weather with Asheville and western NC's weather. Greenville is 1 hour 15 minutes south of Asheville. There are a lot of people who were planning to move to Asheville but decided to move to Greenville instead after checking it on the way to Asheville.

It has a lower cost of living than Asheville and a bigger job market.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-10-2017 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-10-2017, 11:13 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,800,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
I suppose both "booming" and "cheap" are relative terms.

But I think there are lots of contenders for this thread:

- Austin
- Boise
- Tampa
- Phoenix
- Houston
- Nashville
- OKC
- Orlando
- Denver
- Reno
A lot of these are already booming and have been for a while, and are not cheap.

For example, there is nothing cheap about Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.