U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:24 AM

74 posts, read 65,613 times

Advertisements

These are my requirements the way that city data shows on their city details.

Winter months must be above the average as far as sunshine. Dont need to be Yuma Arizona, just sunnier.

Winter months should be average to above average in temperature.

Id like it to stay 15k-35k population. But would up or lower if necessary.

Rent 1 bd or studio must stay < 450 a month. Might have to rent a room, or move into an inlaw apt from private owners.

Would like crime to be <400 but I can see I may have to up the crime average to stay at under 450 dollars a month apt.

So in a nutshell, no major city, rent under 450, no severe or dark winter.

Places I like are Bristol and Johnson City TN and Searcy Arkansas. I think rent anything under 450 is gonna be really hard. Like a needle in the haystack. So that is why I hope you folks can stear me to other places?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 09:46 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,521,748 times
Finding rent for $450 or less, in any area, nonetheless a safe area, will be a tough thing to do. And you're wanting a warmer climate, so that makes prices even higher as well.

The only place I've ever known to have rents in the $400-$500 range that I personally know of, is New Albany, IN. Population around 30K-40K, on the other side of the Ohio River from Louisville,KY. The areas where rent is that cheap in New Albany aren't paradise, but they aren't awful either, just some rough types here & there. The good thing about New Albany, is there is a ton of projects ongoing to "revitalize" the downtown, and it's came a long way so far. A lot of restaurants, shops, etc... And you'd be 10 minutes from a large metro if that is of interest to you.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:12 AM

New Albany IN would be ideal were it not for the dark winter and colder than average temps. It has a lot going to it.

It is a very tough thing to find my criterea which is why a bunch of heads is better then just my own.

I can change the crime to higher and the population either way. But I wont change the sun and not freezing winter or how cheap I need the rent to be.

So dont give up on me folks!

Old 08-09-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnutty1 View Post
New Albany IN would be ideal were it not for the dark winter and colder than average temps. It has a lot going to it.

It is a very tough thing to find my criterea which is why a bunch of heads is better then just my own.

I can change the crime to higher and the population either way. But I wont change the sun and not freezing winter or how cheap I need the rent to be.

So dont give up on me folks!
How cold to you, is colder than average? The Average highs from December-February were around 45 and low around 30. I realize that's not warm, but it's far from harsh as well, and there was basically no snow at all in winter of 2016.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:43 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,391,002 times
consider renting a room perhaps? Look in a swath of real estate between NC, SC, GA, TN, northern AL, AR, LA and North East Texas.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:59 AM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Oxford, Starkville, Ocean Springs and Long Beach in MS are worth a look given the criteria.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
How cold to you, is colder than average? The Average highs from December-February were around 45 and low around 30. I realize that's not warm, but it's far from harsh as well, and there was basically no snow at all in winter of 2016.

Hi Greg,

Well I looked on city data for New Albany, IN the weather graphic shows it to be below the average range. I dont know how to make the graphic picture to come here so you can see what Im talking about. That is how I judged it. And the sunshine pic shows way below the average line.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Oxford, Starkville, Ocean Springs and Long Beach in MS are worth a look given the criteria.

Im going to look those up right now thanks. OK no way. In the order you gave me, these are city data's average rent 814, 700, 897, 997

And true
Look in a swath of real estate between NC, SC, GA, TN, northern AL, AR, LA and North East Texas

But I need city names to research.

I dont want to have to leave the USA. Im neither adventurous or hardy.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:35 AM

4,842 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Quote:
Im going to look those up right now thanks. OK no way. In the order you gave me, these are city data's average rent 814, 700, 897, 997

And true
Look in a swath of real estate between NC, SC, GA, TN, northern AL, AR, LA and North East Texas

But I need city names to research.

I dont want to have to leave the USA. Im neither adventurous or hardy.

I don't believe you're able to leave the USA and it's not easy to just live in another country. No offense.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Hi Greg,

Well I looked on city data for New Albany, IN the weather graphic shows it to be below the average range. I dont know how to make the graphic picture to come here so you can see what Im talking about. That is how I judged it. And the sunshine pic shows way below the average line.
CityData is great for overall research, but the statistics are usually a bit off. That being said, it's going to be hard to meet your lists of "needs" with a low budget.

New Albany does have 4 seasons overall, so there will be "gloomy" days without sun, as do most places. Good luck with your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or