U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 07:36 AM

29 posts, read 26,984 times

Advertisements

I currently live in California but I'm looking to move somewhere else. I'd like to live somewhere rural where I can buy an acreage (preferably 10-40 acres) for a lower amount of money, about $80-120k. I'd prefer somewhere that's not flat, and I'm able to live basically anywhere within 30-40 minutes drive of a town of ~10k people or more. I'm fairly conservative and like fishing, shooting, and driving four wheelers, if that makes a difference.

What are good areas? I have been thinking about places like the Dakotas or Nebraska, Appalachia, or possibly more rural areas of the Great Lakes area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 07:49 AM

3,961 posts, read 3,495,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcountryer View Post
I currently live in California but I'm looking to move somewhere else. I'd like to live somewhere rural where I can buy an acreage (preferably 10-40 acres) for a lower amount of money, about $80-120k. I'd prefer somewhere that's not flat, and I'm able to live basically anywhere within 30-40 minutes drive of a town of ~10k people or more. I'm fairly conservative and like fishing, shooting, and driving four wheelers, if that makes a difference.

What are good areas? I have been thinking about places like the Dakotas or Nebraska, Appalachia, or possibly more rural areas of the Great Lakes area.
I'd look into the Northern Lower peninsula of Michigan. It's a bit more expensive around the inland lakes and the coastal areas like Traverse city. If you get further inland toward Gaylord/Grayling the prices are cheaper and it's a bit less touristy/seasonal. It's pretty much known for all of the things you've expressed interest in.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:01 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,527,063 times
Southern Indiana is great place for this. Specifically in Harrison, Floyd, Clark and Henry County. Land is affordable, and you would be within 15-40 minutes of Louisville Metro which is very large. Also, there are multiple towns in each of those counties with the 10K population you desire.

If I were to pick a specific town in those counties, I would look into Corydon, Indiana. Population is around 6K. Multiple groceries, hunting stores, restaurants, a nice downtown, etc...

There is sooooo many great hunting spots, places to fish, and just outdoors in general in Southern Indiana. Plus Clarksville, IN has the 2nd largest Bass Pro Shop in the US if that maters to you. There's also a Cabelas nearby.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:25 PM

29 posts, read 26,984 times
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into those.

Southern Indiana definitely looks promising. I'm thinking that general area or some part of the Appalachians or Ozarks might be exactly what I'm looking for.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:30 PM

929 posts, read 297,063 times
Central and northern Maine; vasts amount of available land and cheap.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:08 PM

11,883 posts, read 32,924,797 times
Lots of places in Appalachia would easily work. Check the area around Cookeville, Tennessee. Tennessee is a very low tax state, and these rural counties have practically zero zoning ordinances to dictate what you can or cannot do on your own land. Believe it or not, the rural areas around Cookeville are not only cheap but also have gigabit internet. The area is plentiful with lakes, rivers, waterfalls, woods, hills, gorges, hollers. Fishing, hunting, and 4-wheeling are wildly popular. Here are some examples of land available in the area:

3785 Victory Vw, Cookeville, TN 38506 - Land For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

35 34 Ac Spring Creek Rd, Cookeville, TN 38501 - Land For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Pow Rd, Baxter, TN 38544 - Land For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

298 A Armstrong Ln, Gainesboro, TN 38562 - realtor.com®

Old State Highway 85, Gainesboro, TN 38562 - realtor.com®

19 45 Ac Bear Hollow Ln, Livingston, TN 38570 - Land For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

32 Acres Copeland Creek Rd, Livingston, TN 38570 - Land For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Last edited by JMT; 08-13-2017 at 12:22 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 09:52 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,208,518 times
As mentioned, Michigan can get you what you are looking for, and for way under your budget, too. As in $10,000-25,000 for 10+ acres. Probably less than that if you give up the 30-40 minutes from a city with 10K or more people. There are only a handful of cities in the northern lower peninsula with a population of 10K or more. Traverse City, Alpena... Ludington is close. Otherwise, in the middle of the state, you have Big Rapids and Midland to work off of. There is plenty of land in the lower portion of the state, too. Still way under your budget, but more that the land in the northern part of the state. Flatter in general in the lower part of the state. Bigger cities nearby- not sure if that is a plus or minus for you.

Some examples of northern parcels for sale:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0...00767672_zpid/ 40 acres for 15K, farthest north, not too far from Traverse City.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/L...97891057_zpid/ 17K for 13 acres, pretty far up north, but Lake Huron side
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0...94375450_zpid/ 25K for 10 acres, closer to civilization, maybe 30-40 minutes north of Saginaw
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/N...93360836_zpid/ 20K for 10 acres, not too far from Big Rapids

Old 08-13-2017, 03:24 PM

21,196 posts, read 30,388,339 times
You might do a good better in terms of taxes in a state like Tennessee. Check out NE Tennessee's tip between Knoxville and Johnson City. A 30 minute circumference of Morristown (population 30K) offers some nice land that is green and mostly flat to rolling hills versus the mountains just to the east/northeast, and is 45 minutes to an hour from Knoxville. It also has somewhat milder winters so you'll get more four season usage.

Johnson City, TN Land for Sale & Real Estate - realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.