U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 02:26 PM

2,121 posts, read 1,306,890 times

Advertisements

So I've always had an interest in this kind of stuff. It's just really fascinating and somewhat eerie to me.

I'll start with a few examples from my own city. I'd love to hear more examples from other cities around North America. Abandoned structures that have eventually been revived and revitalized are just as good too!

Roosevelt Island Smallpox hospital + New York City Lunatic Asylum

For anyone that doesn't know, Roosevelt Island is an island in NYC between Manhattan and Queens. Back in the 1800s to early 1900s, the island was used as a place to host smallpox patients, an insane asylum, and inmates (before Rikers Island).
There used to be a hospital on the island specifically for smallpox patients, built in the 1850s. It was strategically located at the Southern tip of the island in order to quarantine the patients. The hospital eventually fell into disrepair in the 1920s or so and the hospital became ruins. In the 1970s it became part of US National registry of historic places and also a NYC landmark. It is currently undergoing a $Multi-million dollar restoration project and will reopen to the public as a historic site. More information and pictures here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallpox_Hospital
Roosevelt Island Smallpox Hospital Ruins

On the other end of the island was the New York City Lunatic Asylum. This insane asylum stayed open until the 1950s. After it closed it also fell into a state of disrepair. Much of the building, but part of it survived and in 2006 was converted into part of a residential apartment building! More info and some cool before/after pics here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...osevelt_Island)
History of the Octagon | Roosevelt Island History | The Octagon

Roosevelt island today is connected to Manhattan and Queens by subway, bridge, and aerial tram. The island is home to private residences, a Cornell University campus, and more.

I have many more examples that I will share later if this thread is successful. For now I'd love to see what some other cities have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 08:24 AM

6,323 posts, read 4,680,714 times
If you like brick history you'll love St. Louis. They leave em up around here.
I could really fill this thread up with pictures and stories about these buildings. Here are a few.

People's Hospital (1894-1944)

Memory_machine's Blog - People's Hospital

https://www.facebook.com/ScreamingHo...22760174635543

Chuck Berry's House

Chuck Berry's House

The Exorcist House

Exorcist House Pictures : Ghost Adventures : Travel Channel | Ghost Adventures : Shows : Travelchannel.com | Travel Channel

Vincent Price's Boyhood Home And Father's Candy Factory

The Sound of Vincent Price: Vincentennial: Your Guide to the Vincent Price Landmarks of St Louis

St. Louis factory building named to National Register - Route 66 News

The Lemp Mansion (Another one reported to be haunted)

THE LEMP MANSION!

Old Pictures Of St. Louis (A number of these are still standing)

https://www.pinterest.com/mohistorym...s-of-st-louis/

32 Photos of Urban Exploring in St. Louis That Will Get Your Adrenaline Racing

https://www.builtstlouis.net/crumble00.html

Old 08-14-2017, 05:54 PM

2,121 posts, read 1,306,890 times
^^^^^^^^

Thank you for your contribution! It's greatly appreciated.
I love that abandoned hospital, and all the pics included. That's exactly the kinda stuff I was looking for!

I want to use this time to mention Centralia, PA. Centralia is a ghost town in Pennsylvania that was abandoned when a coal fire broke out in the mines underneath it in the 1960's. The crazy thing is that the fire was unable to be extinguished and still burns to this day! A few people remain, but for the most part buildings are abandoned, deteriorating and Centralia is pretty much a ghost town. I heard sometimes the ground spontaneously opens up and smoke and flames shoot out from underneath. I really want to see this place one day, but I hear it can be pretty dangerous.

Centralia Pennsylvania: Disappearing Sign Mystery

More info and pics:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania
Centralia | Sometimes Interesting

Last edited by JMT; 08-14-2017 at 06:31 PM..

Old 08-14-2017, 06:47 PM

6,323 posts, read 4,680,714 times
^^^^ It does seem that the more interesting things are that the more dangerous they can be, doesn't it ?

We used to go into those abandoned buildings in St. Louis when we got old enough to drive. Some of them dated back to the 1800s. All the windows were smashed out, some didn't even have roofs. I remember looking at this door that was lying on the floor in one of those houses, the door knobs were made of bronze I think, and were made to resemble little gargoyles. I bet those are gone now. We kept getting interrupted by people wanting to know what we were doing so we started going at night. That got to be too scary since all we had were little keychain flashlights and those didn't provide nearly enough light in those old buildings. One time we raced out of a building like rabbits after hearing someone moving around in there. About a year later my friend got a couple of hardhats and orange vests from his brother who worked for the street department and we started going back in the daytime. Everyone, including cops, thought we were with a utility company looking for underground pipes and wires and didn't bother us. These days there are a number of college kids down there making documentaries and posting stuff on Youtube. I don't suppose they know about all the asbestos and lead paint.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:37 PM

4,916 posts, read 1,834,377 times
I saw a piece on the Buffalo Central Terminal railroad station that fascinated me. It is a huge complex with a 15 story office tower 2.5 miles from downtown Buffalo that for the most part has been abandoned since 1979.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Central_Terminal

Old 09-30-2017, 02:30 PM

3,827 posts, read 3,513,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
So I've always had an interest in this kind of stuff. It's just really fascinating and somewhat eerie to me.

I'll start with a few examples from my own city. I'd love to hear more examples from other cities around North America. Abandoned structures that have eventually been revived and revitalized are just as good too!

Roosevelt Island Smallpox hospital + New York City Lunatic Asylum

For anyone that doesn't know, Roosevelt Island is an island in NYC between Manhattan and Queens. Back in the 1800s to early 1900s, the island was used as a place to host smallpox patients, an insane asylum, and inmates (before Rikers Island).
There used to be a hospital on the island specifically for smallpox patients, built in the 1850s. It was strategically located at the Southern tip of the island in order to quarantine the patients. The hospital eventually fell into disrepair in the 1920s or so and the hospital became ruins. In the 1970s it became part of US National registry of historic places and also a NYC landmark. It is currently undergoing a $Multi-million dollar restoration project and will reopen to the public as a historic site. More information and pictures here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallpox_Hospital
Roosevelt Island Smallpox Hospital Ruins

On the other end of the island was the New York City Lunatic Asylum. This insane asylum stayed open until the 1950s. After it closed it also fell into a state of disrepair. Much of the building, but part of it survived and in 2006 was converted into part of a residential apartment building! More info and some cool before/after pics here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...osevelt_Island)
History of the Octagon | Roosevelt Island History | The Octagon

Roosevelt island today is connected to Manhattan and Queens by subway, bridge, and aerial tram. The island is home to private residences, a Cornell University campus, and more.

I have many more examples that I will share later if this thread is successful. For now I'd love to see what some other cities have.

I just watched dark waters on hbo.
Takes place on Roosevelt Island. So of course I goggled it.
The movie makes it seem a horribly dark place to live.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:07 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,581,240 times
Not my city, but deep in Long Island there's a place called Kings Park Psychiatric center, abandoned since 1996. It's a series of buildings, many of them high rise. Many of the buildings are still there, they have gradually been demolishing them though.

You can still enter some AT YOUR OWN RISK lol.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:28 AM

1,593 posts, read 833,415 times

Providence's famed "superman building" is vacant. I believe it needs a lot of updating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or