U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 06:32 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,627,503 times

Advertisements

St. Louis is home to the nation's largest Bosnian community and they have definitely made an impact on the city and region in the last 20-30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 04:13 PM

915 posts, read 1,662,109 times
Milwaukee has a hugh Polish population, it's impossible not to come into contact or deal with them. Also a large Serb and Croatian population, but nowhere near as large as the polish. The Poles in Milwaukee are similar to the Irish in Boston or Italians in Philly. Brooklyn has a large Polish population in Greenpoint. Also a large Russian and Ukraine population in Brighton Beach and other southern Brooklyn neighborhoods. Cleveland, St.Louis and Chicago all have large Eastern European populations.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:23 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,202,673 times
Part of the visibility issue is that outside of major Eastern European immigrant population centers (NY, Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, etc) there are very few restaurants that highlight the presence of Eastern Europeans. Even in my family, Polish food was something made at home, not bought from a restaurant. The majority of Polish foods, and similar Eastern European foods, do not appeal to the tastes of most Americans.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:09 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,202,673 times
I asked my wife, who is non-Polish but married into the family, what her opinion was. She basically said that we "blend in" well, and that in general we are "bland." We don't have unique physical features that most non-Slavs identify us by. We generally just work hard, keep clean, keep a low profile, mind our own business, and just get on with our lives pretty much wherever we are.

I agree - probably lessons learned surviving centuries of being overrun by neighboring German, Russian, and Austrian empires.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:16 PM

2,897 posts, read 5,279,330 times
My Czech father told me that I am in the US and therefore owe my allegiance and language to America and English.

S.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:11 PM

56,616 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Pretty much any city on or near a Great Lake seems to have at least a visible Eastern European population.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:11 AM

3,752 posts, read 2,567,848 times
Read "Out of this Furnace" by Thomas Bell. The story of a "Husky" immigrant and 3 generations of his family from the 1880s-WWII in the Pittsburgh steel mills. Historical fiction (loosely based on the authors real ancestors) but gives an incredibly realistic and historically accurate account of what life was like for that ethnic group in that time period.

It was required reading in my History of American Industry class in college. One of the only "Required readings" I really truly enjoyed.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:41 AM

8,729 posts, read 7,682,608 times
Yeah depends on where you are. Great Lakes? It's impossible to not notice the Slavs in Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee, etc. But in New England? Yeah not many. The South? Same. West? Same.

So I guess I agree that in the national perspective it's like Slavs don't exist, except to demonize. But if you spend some time in a handful of cities, you'll find plenty.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:08 PM

11,435 posts, read 6,404,811 times
East Europeans assimilated and blended in really well. A lot of the immigration happened in the 19th and early 20th century, so over that time the cultural differences were erased

Old 08-17-2017, 05:19 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,225,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Chode View Post
I realize that there are still ethnic problems in the USA , but don't they mainly apply to older and/or recently arrived immigrants in the European context ? I find it hard to imagine that 4th generation Irish American teenagers support the IRA or that American born Ukrainian descended twenty year olds who can't speak Ukrainian hate Russians more than their grandparents .
No one said they had to hate anyone more than their grandparents, but I certainly have seen people of a variety of ethnicities continue to have issues with people of other ethnicities even a century after their ancestors got here. Not saying everyone is running around hating everyone, but it happens. Imagine what you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or