Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:24 PM

100 posts, read 103,261 times

Advertisements

I know that the number of individual Eastern European ancestry groups in the US is smaller than that of Italian and Irish Americans , however if one were to combine all Americans of Eastern European ancestry into one group then I bet their population would be comparable to that of larger groups . This lumping together wouldn't be totally pointless either from the cultural POV , since certain areas of the US actually had the phenomenon of a common " Hunky " culture .

Yet in spite of this very few people ( in my area at least ) are aware of Eastern European Americans and there is very little pop culture representation of ( say ) Eastern European Americans in mill towns , which is very puzzling to me , since one could do a lot of things based on this and similar topics .

I also find it strange that no Eastern European American subcultures exist in the USA . For example Italian Americans founded the so called guido/goomba subculture , whereas Eastern European Americans have no equivalent .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 01:32 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
Never met one Eastern European in all the years I lived in the South not one. I have met some Russian Jews and Russian Poles but the claim to be Jewish and not Eastern European. Even when I lived in Boston and NYC the Eastern european people did not have a lot of pride in their nationality so I bonded better with the Italians and Irish who were more outgoing.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:25 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Chicago and Milwaukee have a fair number of Serbians.
2 of them were IL Governor, Rod Blagojevich; and late actor Karl Malden (of Gary, IN)

Old 08-15-2017, 05:16 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Chode View Post
I know that the number of individual Eastern European ancestry groups in the US is smaller than that of Italian and Irish Americans , however if one were to combine all Americans of Eastern European ancestry into one group then I bet their population would be comparable to that of larger groups . This lumping together wouldn't be totally pointless either from the cultural POV , since certain areas of the US actually had the phenomenon of a common " Hunky " culture .

Yet in spite of this very few people ( in my area at least ) are aware of Eastern European Americans and there is very little pop culture representation of ( say ) Eastern European Americans in mill towns , which is very puzzling to me , since one could do a lot of things based on this and similar topics .

I also find it strange that no Eastern European American subcultures exist in the USA . For example Italian Americans founded the so called guido/goomba subculture , whereas Eastern European Americans have no equivalent .
When you have to add up all the ethnicities of half of Europe, some of which that don't even get along that well, I think you answered your own question as to why the descendants of one small island off of the coast of Western Europe are more influential.

The Irish and their descendants are pervasive across all of America at this point while many Eastern European descended people simply aren't

Old 08-15-2017, 05:47 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
I notice them in Chicago.

Maybe they're invisible in the rest of the U.S.

Not here

Old 08-15-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
When you have to add up all the ethnicities of half of Europe, some of which that don't even get along that well, I think you answered your own question as to why the descendants of one small island off of the coast of Western Europe are more influential.

The Irish and their descendants are pervasive across all of America at this point while many Eastern European descended people simply aren't

I might be wrong about this , but do the Old World ethnic problems still exist among descendants of Eastern European immigrants ? I mean I've never heard of or read about ( say ) 3rd or 4th generation Macedonian Americans having any problems with 3rd or 4th generation Bulgarian Americans .

Old 08-15-2017, 06:17 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,456 times
Lots of Eastern Europeans in Chicago. The subsequent generations are mostly just generic white people who intermarry.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:19 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Chode View Post
I might be wrong about this , but do the Old World ethnic problems still exist among descendants of Eastern European immigrants ? I mean I've never heard of or read about ( say ) 3rd or 4th generation Macedonian Americans having any problems with 3rd or 4th generation Bulgarian Americans .
Old World issues still exist with all ethnic groups in America to one degree or another. Anecdotally, a good friend of mine dated a Ukrainian American for awhile. Let's just say I heard more than my fair share about why the Russians are terrible.

Time spent here doesn't necessarily heal Old World conflicts either. Just Google the city of Boston's support for the IRA, or how well Armenian Americans and Turkish Americans get along. Just because people immigrated to America doesn't mean everyone started singing kumbaya together

Old 08-15-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Never met one Eastern European in all the years I lived in the South not one. I have met some Russian Jews and Russian Poles but the claim to be Jewish and not Eastern European. Even when I lived in Boston and NYC the Eastern european people did not have a lot of pride in their nationality so I bonded better with the Italians and Irish who were more outgoing.
Yes this is an interesting phenomenon . Growing up in the Garfield New Jersey area , I noticed that Irish and ( especially ) Italian Americans were much more attached to their heritage than their Eastern European counterparts . Of course this is anecdotal , but the only people of Eastern European heritage who identified with their heritage were immigrants and their American born children . Whereas many Italian Americans of all ages , generations , and social backgrounds quite strongly identified with being Italian .

It's always been strange to me that while New Jersey ( and I imagine many other parts of the USA ) has a large so called " guido " subculture among Italian Americans , the same isn't true of the area's large Eastern European population . I guess Eastern European Americans are more keen on blending into general American society/identify less with their heritage than Italian Americans , which has always seemed strange to me .

Old 08-15-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Old World issues still exist with all ethnic groups in America to one degree or another. Anecdotally, a good friend of mine dated a Ukrainian American for awhile. Let's just say I heard more than my fair share about why the Russians are terrible.

Time spent here doesn't necessarily heal Old World conflicts either. Just Google the city of Boston's support for the IRA, or how well Armenian Americans and Turkish Americans get along. Just because people immigrated to America doesn't mean everyone started singing kumbaya together
I realize that there are still ethnic problems in the USA , but don't they mainly apply to older and/or recently arrived immigrants in the European context ? I find it hard to imagine that 4th generation Irish American teenagers support the IRA or that American born Ukrainian descended twenty year olds who can't speak Ukrainian hate Russians more than their grandparents .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.