U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Western Part of America is the Least Racist Part of America
Agree 26 30.59%
Disagree 59 69.41%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2017, 02:25 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,052,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Parts of Virginia and Texas look good. Based on that map, it looks like the racism belt goes through upstate NY, central and western Pennsylvania, all of Ohio and West Virginia, and the Appalachian portions of Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee. Basically the Rust Belt and the Appalachians. Not much of a surprise.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 03:21 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,315,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Disagree completely. The West has less entrenched segregation, but racial animus is well-documented across this country:

Want to Meet America

https://www.attn.com/stories/15067/w...ed-hate-groups
Portland, may have still stinging from it's past, but, it's still more racially hip than a lot of Cities, back East, like St. Louis, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cincinnati and maybe even Boston.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:28 PM

4,447 posts, read 7,515,654 times
There are many ways to measure racism. Perhaps a more meaningful measure than "N-word Google searches" is measured income inequality between whites and people of color.

Spoiler--the upper Midwest seems to be worst overall (five worst states are Minnesota, Rhode Island, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Iowa):

wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-financial-gaps-by-race/9842/

Old 08-15-2017, 08:59 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
There are many ways to measure racism. Perhaps a more meaningful measure than "N-word Google searches" is measured income inequality between whites and people of color.

Spoiler--the upper Midwest seems to be worst overall (five worst states are Minnesota, Rhode Island, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Iowa):

wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-financial-gaps-by-race/9842/
Remember that can be thrown off because places like RI and MN have large amounts of immigrants from places like Haiti or Somalia who would be considered black, and of course they will be poor in the first generation, that's usually how immigration works because the underprivileged come here.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:12 PM

32,319 posts, read 55,123,408 times
Racism is everywhere.

What matters is that those of who genuinely want to spread acceptance of others engage in meaningful dialogue with people around us.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:21 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,679,293 times
This whole topic is being brought into the threshold because of leaders who enhance it. I know this is not a political thread per se, but one must examine why it is all of a sudden an issue. I will leave it there as this is a regional question.

I have lived in the western US for 56 of my 58 years. I don't recall many racial incidents in my time in this region. I have found the region to be accepting and welcoming to all races. To be more exact, most of my life has been in Washington State that openly has welcomed hispanic, african americans, vietnamese, and others. The area is very accepting, and perhaps why it continues to be "blue" when it comes to politics.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:40 PM

626 posts, read 574,773 times
If you truly want to escape racism you're better off leaving the US altogether and heading up north. Even the western part of the US is going to be effected by baggage from the east.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:42 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,679,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
If you truly want to escape racism you're better off leaving the US altogether and heading up north. Even the western part of the US is going to be effected by baggage from the east.
Not sure about that. I think CA, OR, WA will maintain a strong acceptance of immigrants and/or racial differences.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:44 PM

626 posts, read 574,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Not sure about that. I think CA, OR, WA will maintain a strong acceptance of immigrants.
Maybe, I've never been PNW.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:47 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Not sure about that. I think CA, OR, WA will maintain a strong acceptance of immigrants and/or racial differences.
You mean Seattle and Portland, right? Washington and Oregon aren't what I would consider racially accepting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or