U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Western Part of America is the Least Racist Part of America
Agree 26 30.59%
Disagree 59 69.41%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 07:32 PM

2,016 posts, read 1,013,828 times

Advertisements

Not sure what the point of this thread is. What is it you hope to prove, OP? And then, why? As others have said, there is racism everywhere, and until that changes, no one has bragging rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 08:03 PM

1,011 posts, read 639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I think CA, OR, WA will maintain a strong acceptance of immigrants and/or racial differences.
But, will those immigrants be accepting of and respectful towards historically disenfranchised minority groups in the United States, namely blacks and American Indians, and their long legacies of disenfranchisement?

The answer is a resounding no, and we've seen this proven time and time again.

Mexicans hate blacks. Asians hate blacks (and Mexicans, too). Asian Indians hate everyone.

Call me after you move from Bellingham or Spokane to Long Beach. Please.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:07 PM

448 posts, read 390,337 times
Idaho and Montana have the most hate groups for their size.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:45 PM

2,727 posts, read 5,146,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
Idaho and Montana have the most hate groups for their size.
Several of those groups probably have 5 members and many appear to be groups paranoid about refugee resettlement which is an issue nationwide.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:17 PM

48 posts, read 22,855 times
This is an interesting subject that I continue to be fascinated by, and I agree. The eastern US, regardless of population density, has more racism. The evidence is overwhelming, numerous studies have confirmed it. The Western states have high amounts of interracial dating and mixed race people compared to the Eastern states, less racial segregation and less racist incidents. There are also some black CD members who have stated time and time again that the Northeast is a very racist region.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:15 PM

6,545 posts, read 3,653,233 times
Perhaps there is less of a history of racism in the west but it is no less intense in current terms. The targets are different. I suspect (but donít know ó somebody might) that there might have been fewer legally codified racially discriminatory laws in the western states but there was the added factor of people being forcibly dispossessed of land by a racially different group ó or ethnically different. Religion also was a divisive point in the years after the war with Mexico. Catholicism and Mormonism were unpopular at times. The Asian immigrants had to endure serious discrimination and that probably made the internment camps for Japanese Americans somewhat easier to rationalize in WW2.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:35 AM

1,011 posts, read 639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
There are many ways to measure racism. Perhaps a more meaningful measure than "N-word Google searches" is measured income inequality between whites and people of color.

Spoiler--the upper Midwest seems to be worst overall (five worst states are Minnesota, Rhode Island, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Iowa):

wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-financial-gaps-by-race/9842/
My personal experience of growing up in Providence, RI validates this information.

For what it's worth, I never knew a single black person who owned a car until I moved to Florida, and I was probably 15 years old before I ever saw a black driver behind the wheel of a car on the freeway.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:20 PM

4,843 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
If you truly want to escape racism you're better off leaving the US altogether and heading up north. Even the western part of the US is going to be effected by baggage from the east.
There are racists in Canada.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:11 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,138,052 times
There are racists everywhere. Instead of trying to escape it, you could do your best to expose it, discuss it, shame it, and possibly scale it back a tiny bit. Also, vote more wisely (ignore politician words and promises, look at their actions and mindset).

Old 02-28-2018, 08:33 PM

1,991 posts, read 864,081 times
Iím sure Black folks would not agree with this at all.

Also I do feel that I hear more about Whites attacking Asians more on the west than I do in the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or