Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Western Part of America is the Least Racist Part of America
Agree 26 30.59%
Disagree 59 69.41%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 07:23 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Remember that can be thrown off because places like RI and MN have large amounts of immigrants from places like Haiti or Somalia who would be considered black, and of course they will be poor in the first generation, that's usually how immigration works because the underprivileged come here.
I personally don't think that should matter (also cities like Minneapolis and Milwaukee do have large AA communities). It still demonstrates that in most, if not all, places, for one reason or another, people of color aren't fully integrated into the social/economic fabric and thus do not benefit to the extent that whites do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 07:57 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Where there is more diversity, generally just more people of all or some races living close or in the same state or area, there is likely more overt racism. It's hard to be very obviously racist if a state has few blacks (or Asians, etc) compared to other states. The East Coast out to some of the Midwest has a history of slavery, segregation, obviously the Civil War, etc. The West has a history of tensions with Asians (Chinese and Japanese mostly). Interning Japanese-Americans during WWII was a federal government decision so that decision alone doesn't fall on those out West, but people there - some, not all - for sure agreed with it and thought Japanese-Americans were people to look out for during WWII. There are tensions between whites and Asians still in Hawaii, where whites are called the derogatory term haole. I would even call Hawaii rather xenophobic.

Racism isn't one way, and isn't just about blacks and whites.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Nah, lot of racism between Mexicans and non-Mexicans. There's even racism among non Mexican Hispanics towards Mexicans out there.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:20 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I personally don't think that should matter (also cities like Minneapolis and Milwaukee do have large AA communities). It still demonstrates that in most, if not all, places, for one reason or another, people of color aren't fully integrated into the social/economic fabric and thus do not benefit to the extent that whites do.
Minneapolis had almost no black community 35 years ago. Because of that it lacks the rooted black middle class you find in the more traditional black cities. The Minneapolis black community consists almost entirely of recent transplants who were the poorest of the poor in the south side of Chicago and other Midwestern cities or refugees from war zones. Blacks in Minneapolis are less likely to have a high school diploma than in any other major metro in the US. That isn't an issue that was created in Minneapolis, it is one that moved here. The real test will be in 20 or 30 years when the generation that was born and grew up here is in their prime earning years. If those numbers still look like that then, then we have an issue.

I've lived in 3 places in my life - Chicago, upstate NY and the Twin Cities, of those three the Twin Cities probably have the least number of racist white people (although the ones who are racist here are probably the most over the top).

Old 08-16-2017, 10:41 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Minneapolis had almost no black community 35 years ago. Because of that it lacks the rooted black middle class you find in the more traditional black cities. The Minneapolis black community consists almost entirely of recent transplants who were the poorest of the poor in the south side of Chicago and other Midwestern cities or refugees from war zones. Blacks in Minneapolis are less likely to have a high school diploma than in any other major metro in the US. That isn't an issue that was created in Minneapolis, it is one that moved here. The real test will be in 20 or 30 years when the generation that was born and grew up here is in their prime earning years. If those numbers still look like that then, then we have an issue.

I've lived in 3 places in my life - Chicago, upstate NY and the Twin Cities, of those three the Twin Cities probably have the least number of racist white people (although the ones who are racist here are probably the most over the top).
I know I mentioned the West Coast, but, the Interrracial Marriage Stat I mentioned earlier (top 10 Metro Areas), MSP was one of 3 areas, not located in the West.
The Police Incidents there have been pretty sick, but overall it's one of America's more racially tolerant areas.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:00 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,252,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You mean Seattle and Portland, right? Washington and Oregon aren't what I would consider racially accepting.
Agreed.

And while we're at it, let's kill the notion that Canada is a melting-pot utopia. While not overtly racist, outside of Vancouver and Toronto, it's far from unheard of for non-Caucasian residents to feel uncomfortable.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:09 PM

657 posts, read 802,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
This can't be right, according to many on here Mass is supposed to be the most racist place in the US outside the south.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:00 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
I would disagree. Some of the biggest White Power organizing seem to be coming out of Idaho and Montana these days.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:06 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I would disagree. Some of the biggest White Power organizing seem to be coming out of Idaho and Montana these days.
I disagree. The groups who hide out in the woods of either state, including Washington and Oregon are small and not organized and most of them tend to not be natives of each respective state. Now the large organized groups from the South are the ones to watch.

Washington DC is a great example of white power/supremacy.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:09 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You mean Seattle and Portland, right? Washington and Oregon aren't what I would consider racially accepting.
Yes, in general. However, even Eastern WA and Eastern OR are more open to diversity than many US States. There is a "live and let live" attitude even in the conservative areas of the Northwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.